Game of Thrones/TV thread

MrBug708

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Got tired of watching Breaking Bad. I can appreciate, just got burnt out. I have been watching Downton Abbey, but I'm not opposed to anything by Masterpiece theatre.

Curious t see how History Channel does with their two new shows next week. This new push of historical fiction is a big risk for them, so unless you want to see three new shows about old people with metal detectors, I would suggest tuning in.

... tired of watching breaking bad? explain yourself. 

i watched some of season one of downton abbey because someone with tastes i usually trust told me it was the best new show in years, but upon watching four or five episodes i gave him a swift kick to the kidneys and told him to kill himself. 

also, to your second paragraph, i'm interested in the history channel's new shows, too. i'm usually a sucker for historical fiction, even if it's cheesy historical fiction like the tudors. that may sound hypocritical because i just got done bashing downton abbey, but... well, i can't figure out how else to end this sentence. 

Downton Abbey is horribly dry English tv, but I do agree it's not for all. It isn't cheesy either so that might be the problem.

As for breaking bad, I just took a break in all the Gus season and have avoided watching it at almost all cost. I even chose once upon a time over resuming. BB is a good show, I'm just on hiatus.

I was kinda over SoA this past season too

re: sons, someone on this site, i think, mentioned that the finale of season 5 was way too similar to the finale in season 3, only really half assed and nowhere near as memorable... and i couldn't agree more. i really liked seasons 1-3, i even dug all the irish stuff that put off some in season 3, but i thought the juice storyline in 4 was horrifically stupid and 5 never really got off the ground (for me). the only time i was really taken aback was with what happened to opie, and it wasn't even what happened insomuch that it happened in, like, episode four, and not a season finale or something. 

i would get on seasons 4 and 5 of breaking bad pronto. the back half of season five starts this summer. shits going down!

anyone watch justified? anyone have the foggiest clue what's going on? it's not bad, far from it, it's just that the first three seasons had an overarching plot to them, season four just seems to be a bunch of random shit loosely tied around finding a guy who everyone thought died thirty years ago. 

i would probably sell most of my belongings and at least a kidney to see a show about walter white vs. boyd crowder. 

Legit:

Breaking Bad

Game of Thrones

Walking Dead

Dexter

Haven't watched, but have been told to:

Homeland

Downton Abbey

Sons of Anarchy

Don't tell me how to live my life:

Mad Men

Any "reality" show including, but not limited to, dancing, singing, cooking, storage, duck calls, fishing, driving automobiles, finding relationships or living in the wild.

Back in the Day:

House

Comedies:

Big Bang Theory

Archer

Community

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Seinfeld

re: sons, someone on this site, i think, mentioned that the finale of season 5 was way too similar to the finale in season 3, only really half assed and nowhere near as memorable... and i couldn't agree more. i really liked seasons 1-3, i even dug all the irish stuff that put off some in season 3, but i thought the juice storyline in 4 was horrifically stupid and 5 never really got off the ground (for me). the only time i was really taken aback was with what happened to opie, and it wasn't even what happened insomuch that it happened in, like, episode four, and not a season finale or something. 

i would get on seasons 4 and 5 of breaking bad pronto. the back half of season five starts this summer. shits going down!

anyone watch justified? anyone have the foggiest clue what's going on? it's not bad, far from it, it's just that the first three seasons had an overarching plot to them, season four just seems to be a bunch of random shit loosely tied around finding a guy who everyone thought died thirty years ago. 

i would probably sell most of my belongings and at least a kidney to see a show about walter white vs. boyd crowder. 

This.  Justified -- like all good TV shows -- is all about the characters.  Who the hell cares about Drew Thompson and mountain people and snakes and preachers played by the kid from Jurassic Park?  Let's see Raylan make some wisecracks and pull on people, all day long.  Let's see Boyd Crowder suggestively inform someone he's about to die in a gentlemanly drawl.  LOVE that shit.

My top 5 at this moment:

1. Breaking Bad (if you don't like this show, it means you're a bad person)

2. Walking Dead

3. Game of Thrones

4. Tosh.0 (sorry, but I NEVER, EVER miss a new episode)

5. Justified

Others receiving votes: Sons, Louie, Community, Workaholics, Newsroom, Mad Men, The Americans (anyone watching this yet?  Killer show.  Great for the wives to sit in on because it's about feelings and shit, too) 

if you like tosh you should check out the jeselnik offensive. it's only had two episodes so far, but it's pretty damn hilarious. i like daniel tosh, but jeselnik does tosh's asshole schtick about ten times better. he can dead pan anything, and his 'panel' segment is out of this world funny. 

if you like tosh you should check out the jeselnik offensive. it's only had two episodes so far, but it's pretty damn hilarious. i like daniel tosh, but jeselnik does tosh's asshole schtick about ten times better. he can dead pan anything, and his 'panel' segment is out of this world funny. 

I started recording it the day before I posted my top 5.  We're on the same level here dude.  Jeselnik was always brutal in the roasts.

I've come to the realization recently watching old reruns that Seinfeld is the best sitcom ever. It is almost 15 years since the show ended, and it is pretty incredible the things they were able to get away with back then in terms of edgy humor. One of the episodes on recently had Jerry talking about the assisted suicide machine: "Don't these people have any bridges or tall buildings where they live?"

It's the kind of humor that is commonplace these days but was really taboo back then. Somehow Seinfeld got away with it, though.

The show holds up better than most other sitcoms from that era, such as Roseanne, Friends, Home Improvement, Frasier, etc.

Kug- her hair is gray... The world didn't turn to color until the 70s.  :P

I know me some Lucy. My mom made me watch that and Sound of Music. Each spoiled the other for me.

Your taste aside, I speak the truth, and as for innovation and edgyness, use of three 35mm cameras to film, live audience for a sitcom, show broadcast on east and west coast at the same time, first use of reruns, pregnant woman on screen with her pregnancy incorporated into story line, white wife Cuban husband in the 50s.  Its not to me to decide if I Love Lucy or Seinfeld was the best sitcom, but that is the Super Bowl.

Archived