SLC "media" getting all over Whittingham

Cowboy Boot Ute

You know, something just occurred to me.  The last Pac 12 team that was undefeated after beating Michigan was Oregon.  They came back home to have the Cougs kick their butts 55-16 in Autzen.  Utah got off easy.

Word of warning Pac 12 teams, play Michigan if you want.  Beat them like a drum.  Just don't come home to play WSU next.  We'll kick your asses.

i have two trains of thought to that:

1. you were very good, but that '03 michigan team was hailed as a national title favorite and had a heisman front-runner, to say nothing of the fact that MICHIGAN was coming to autzen. there was going to be an emotional downturn no matter who we played the following week.

2. that said, you would have beaten us whether or not we played before or after michigan. you exposed to the world a bunch of flaws to that oregon team that took much of the remainder of the year to fix/mask/improve upon. within the same month, i believe we lost by 45 to a horrible arizona state team, and got bent over by a .500 washington team coached by KEITH GILBERTSON. mike bellotti used to say 'never let a team beat you twice', but i think he let wazzu beat him 3 or 4 times that year.

New to this board. But just read this story in my local "newspaper" and not sure I agree but I think Wilson is better than what he showed against WSU. Afraid Utes will be spanked by UCLA.  

http://www.standard.net/Extra-Point/2014/09/30/Kyle-Whittingham-needs-to-say-away-from-the-panic-button.html

Jim Burton of the Standard Examiner is stud! Some of you older folk my remember when he won the Heisman 2 years in a row. He then went on to be an All Pro Quarterback for every team that won the Superbowl between 1975 and 1989. After retiring from being the greatest player ever, he moved on to the coaching world were he was coach of the year for...you guessed it. Every team that won the Superbowl from 1990 to 2010. He grew tired of being the idol of the sports world and hung up his crown. He's now a sports opinion hack for a podunk newspaper on the outskirts of nowhere.

Ohh, as for the article, it's just as Burton puts it, an "overreaction" by someone trying to sell ad space.

glduck is absolutely right about UO having letdowns...they had one for one quarter against Wyoming after beating Michigan.  The Buffs had to fight to beat Texas by three points on the road after beating Michigan with that Hail Mary pass back in 1994.

Archived