ASU @ Washington

Scscsc89

Hey there. Husky fan here.  Been lurking a while, and enjoy the conference-wide perspective of the board.

Anyway, my $.02 on this game: this is likely an easy win for ASU. I am shocked the line is not more in ASU's favor.  I think it is currently ASU -3.5. UW was just demoralized by Oregon again, and has injury problems at RB (Washington is out, I think Coleman may be as well), and QB (Cyler Miles may not play).  Even with healthy running backs, UW has not been able to run much.  The passing game is not much better.  Meanwhile, ASU is hot and realizes they are very much in the hunt to win the south.  This feels like a 10 point ASU win, even in the rain.

Personally, I think ASU will win with either QB, although mobile QBs give the huskies more trouble. I suppose Bercovici might be more at risk of giving up a sack, but he can move enough to evade pressure IMO (better than Goff, by comparison).  I agree with Neu, I would not risk playing Kelly if there was any question about his health.

Should be an entertaining game.  We're gonna get our first good look at Williams under center for the Huskies as it was announced earlier that he'll be getting the start.  Why not I say, Miles has shown he simply doesn't have what it takes to lead this offense.  

I will be very interested to see the attitude of the team (UW) a week after getting their heads kicked in by the ducks. Hopefully Petersen can turn the team's psyche around, convince them that all their realistic pre-season goals are still there to play for, and come out with their hair on fire. I do think ASU has the better team this year, but maybe husky weather and some Petersen magic can allow the huskies to steal a win here. Hope so, anyway.

I do think ASU has the better team this year, but maybe husky weather and some Petersen magic can allow the huskies to steal a win here. Hope so, anyway.

Speaking of Petersen magic, does he still have it? Local media here in Boise have mentioned a few times that UW fans are starting to turn sour on him.

Well, that game went about as I expected.  Actually, the defense played a little better than I thought (without Shaq), and the offense was about as challenged as I thought it would be.  I do think Petersen got the best out of his squad and had them believing and fighting until late in the 4th quarter.  It felt like the huskies could steal it with a lucky bounce or big defensive play.  But it seems clear now that we can't expect the offense to pull off a comeback win. This might be one of the worst offenses at UW in 10 years or more.  ASU was the better team though.

As for Petersen, I am still very excited UW got him. The defense was terrific last night, and the attitude and attention to detail is improving all the time IMO.  I think it is going to take a little longer than I thought for the offense to come around, but I can be patient knowing we have the right coach. 

Wasn't UW playing a frosh at QB last night?

Yes, exactly, a redshirt frosh, starting his first ever game in 50mph winds.  And the first and second string RB were out.  Not exactly a recipe many coaches could win with.  Still Petersen kept them in it until very late. 

Archived