Flight 9525

KUGRDON

The Air Marshal could be the crazy one. I don't think there is a magic bullet.

Yeah, what can really be done if a suicidal pilot is properly motivated?  It would be even easier for a suicidal pilot to pull this off if Rand Paul gets his way.  

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/rand-paul-we-needs-guns-in-the-cockpit-105568.html

Ultimately, there's not a lot that can be done and we're just going to have to accept that this kind of thing will happen once every 10 million flights.  It's horrible, but I'm not sure we need to overreact every time something goes wrong. 

I heard today that the doors in the US have a combination that the outside person can use to get back in. However, the person on the inside can block the combination if they think the outside person is under attack. It gets complicated.

Yes, that true, but by airline policy not govt. regulation. The government only identifies it as a "best practice". At least that is what the pilots on CNN said.

If a pilot is absent, often a female flight attendant is the second person. Pilots on tv today said the rule was generally aimed at having the second person be able to identify a medical emergency of the remaining pilot not intervene to stop a criminal act.

I heard today that the doors in the US have a combination that the outside person can use to get back in. However, the person on the inside can block the combination if they think the outside person is under attack. It gets complicated.

They've said this German plane had the same feature & had been disabled by the co-pilot.

Not every possible problem can be fixed. The real problem is mental health and how it is dealt with. From suicide by plane to mass shootings.

Mental health issues are as serious and real as cancer or broken bones yet the public persists in thinking it is just a matter of choice and bucking up. You don't tell someone with a brain tumor to buck up and move on. Mental illness is a disease, not a choice. Society needs to treat it as such.

I agree that mental illness is just as bad as other health problems. There is an issue in that it is much easier to fake than other health problems. The anxiety related social security claims awards are skyrocketing.

I think I will disagree with this. If you are saying what I think you are, that people can fake mental illness because it is tangibly invisible, I think that is only true to a layman diagnostician; like someone's mom saying, "oh, they're just depressed." Few laymen are going to claim someone schizophrenic, or if they do they won't know what it actually is. Same with the austisms, OCD, ADHD, ADD, ODD, etc. 

A person trained in the DSM will spot a faker every time. 

Not every possible problem can be fixed. The real problem is mental health and how it is dealt with. From suicide by plane to mass shootings.

The link between selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and mass shootings is very real; I've seen studies showing as many as 90% of school shooters were on or had been on SSRI medication. That is a correlation/causation thing as well as a chicken/egg thing, so I don't make too much of it. There are plenty of people who have great success with SSRI use. I've heard the violent behavior can coincide with people abruptly stopping their medication, usually without the advice of a doctor. But, without stats to back me up, I'm pretty confident there are scores of people each day that abruptly stop their meds and there isn't an equivalent number of shooting sprees. 

My point is that throwing pharmaceuticals down mental health patients' throats, or if they've committed a crime along with being sick, we throw them in a cage are the two leading ways we care for the mentally unhealthy. It seems short sighted. 

On the flip side, if you seek help for mental illness, no matter how transitory (depression while grieving for a lost close one) you will/may have negative implications.  I've had employees turned down for disability insurance because of this.  Moral of the story, I've told people to foot the bill themselves and don't reveal it to their normal health care provider if they think its a transitory condition, that way there is no reporting back in the insurance system.

The link between selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and mass shootings is very real; I've seen studies showing as many as 90% of school shooters were on or had been on SSRI medication. That is a correlation/causation thing as well as a chicken/egg thing, so I don't make too much of it. There are plenty of people who have great success with SSRI use. I've heard the violent behavior can coincide with people abruptly stopping their medication, usually without the advice of a doctor. But, without stats to back me up, I'm pretty confident there are scores of people each day that abruptly stop their meds and there isn't an equivalent number of shooting sprees. 

My point is that throwing pharmaceuticals down mental health patients' throats, or if they've committed a crime along with being sick, we throw them in a cage are the two leading ways we care for the mentally unhealthy. It seems short sighted. 

It is short sighted

And drugs aren't a magic bullet, they are a band aid while the issue is dealt with. In some cases they can be a pretty solid part of the therapy but not generally a cure.

Tossing them in jail is like setting up an island for lepers. Not a solution. Wiring and chemistry is all messed up.

Archived