2016 MLB thread

MrBug708

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

mariners did stuff during the winter meetings.

lf nori aoki

ss ketel marte

2b robinson cano

dh nelson cruz

3b kyle seager

1b adam lind

rf seth smith

c chris iannetta

cf leonys martin

new gm, lots of corresponding moves so he can show that he's committed to tweaking a roster that most thought could make the playoffs last year. the results? 

not awful. after adding cano and cruz each of the last two offseasons, there's definitely not a "wow" addition, but no one really expected one, either. aoki is one of those productive lead-off types seattle never seems to have. lind is a nice power bat that basically replaces trumbo. ianetta is not a very good catcher, but "not very good" is actually a big step forward from what we trotted out at catcher last year. martin is a classic mariner before ever donning a uniform, a speedy defensive whiz who probably won't hit well.

but we've got some options. smith can always slide over and guti can play in right. we brought him back after a very solid comeback year in '15. 

felix

walker

miley

karns

paxton

the mariners lost iwakuma to the dodgers. when healthy, kuma is still a very effective starter, but a team like LA can risk adding a third year to a deal that seattle just wasn't comfortable with. walker finally showed he could make it through a full season last year, but he was very hit-or-miss. still young. kind of freaks me out he's a #2. miley started 32 games with boston in '15, with equally mixed results. nate karns is coming off a pretty excellent rookie season with tampa bay. basically, it looks like seattle is going with felix, three innings eaters, and james paxton, who's injured a lot but has a lot of upside. 

my gut: any hype instantly kills seattle's postseason chances, and last year's clunker means nobody is going to expect the m's to contend in the west (especially with as strong as the division looks). so, i like our odds of getting a wild card more this year than i did last (note that i did NOT think they'd make it last year), but knowing this franchise like i do prohibits me from actually thinking they'll get it done. 

Archived