To increase T1 revenue would PAC play at 6:30- 7 PST?

Win5002

It seems the PAC struggles in the CST & EST prime time zones ratings wise and even though they would probably like to show case their product then it just doesn't do well against the other leagues.  This may prevent the PAC from getting the revenue bump they want at the next tv renewal.   I know they explored the idea of morning football but I don't think that will really yield much better results especially with FOX putting their best B1G & Big 12 games on then.  

On the other hand if they started 6:30 to 7 PST most of the other games are done or are winding down.  Sure some people in EST go to bed and even some in CST but those at home might tune into the marquee game out west without competition from the leagues out west.  

I don't think this will close the gap completely but if it helped revenue wise would PAC fans be open to it?

47 minutes ago, Win5002 said:

It seems the PAC struggles in the CST & EST prime time zones ratings wise and even though they would probably like to show case their product then it just doesn't do well against the other leagues.  This may prevent the PAC from getting the revenue bump they want at the next tv renewal.   I know they explored the idea of morning football but I don't think that will really yield much better results especially with FOX putting their best B1G & Big 12 games on then.  

On the other hand if they started 6:30 to 7 PST most of the other games are done or are winding down.  Sure some people in EST go to bed and even some in CST but those at home might tune into the marquee game out west without competition from the leagues out west.  

I don't think this will close the gap completely but if it helped revenue wise would PAC fans be open to it?

We have played a ton of games at those times and later. Not a new concept.

We already own the "Pac 12 after Dark" moto. Both Arizona school kickoff at 7pm due to the heat in early September.

Late kicks in Pullman in November can get damn cold, to downright miserable and make for late night drives home in crappy weather.

Late night kickoffs also makes it difficult for the fans to attend.  I really think most games should kick-off at 2:00 pm. Have one game set at 4:30 pm and one After Dark 7:30 kickoff per week.

The 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. (Pacific) slots are the Eastern time zone prime time positions. The networks don't want other games starting at halftime of their prime time games, which is why the Pac-12 gets the "After Dark" spot at 7:30 or 8 p.m. Pacific. As long as TV money is driving the train, that isn't going to change.  

the state of Utah looks to be doing away with local daylight savings time (but probably not till 2021), so that would put Utah in the Pacific Time Zone from March through November and the MT time zone the other 5 months.  Essentially we would be mimicking AZ's time year round.

I think Colorado has to agree to this as well for it to pass

On 2/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, Scorcho said:

the state of Utah looks to be doing away with local daylight savings time (but probably not till 2021), so that would put Utah in the Pacific Time Zone from March through November and the MT time zone the other 5 months.  Essentially we would be mimicking AZ's time year round.

Good on Utah, hopefully it passes.  The more states that do away with daylight savings the better, I don't understand why the rest of the country exc. Hawaii bothers to keep putting up with that nonsense

59 minutes ago, clpp01 said:

Good on Utah, hopefully it passes.  The more states that do away with daylight savings the better, I don't understand why the rest of the country exc. Hawaii bothers to keep putting up with that nonsense

As I understand the legislation in CA, OR and WA, we would "Spring Forward" to Pacific Daylight Time and stay there, so if the mountain states stay on Standard time, we're all in the same time zone.

But there's a catch the further north you go.

Here in northern Washington, we get about 16.5 hours of daylight in mid-June. On Daylight Time, dawn breaks before 5 a.m., and it doesn't get dark until 9:30 p.m. or so. In the dead of winter, we get about 8.5 hours of daylight. If we stay on daylight time, the sun won't come up until about 9 a.m. in late December. I'm old enough to remember when we stayed on PDT one year during the so-called fuel crisis of the 70s. The big concern was all the school kids being in the dark, but it wasn't that big of a deal. It was weird, though. But we've been fuckin' around with the time for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

On 2/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, Scorcho said:

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/colorado-legislature-seeks-to-eliminate-time-changes-by-implementing-year-round-daylight-saving-time/73-ad522acf-795d-4887-931d-c37d362dad86

Working on it...

Archived