Open Up the States to Work

Pac12Fan

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit one of the Amazon shipping centers in Ft. Worth last week as they ship nearly 40% of our inventory. Their employees work 10 feet apart due to Covid restrictions. I am told that they rarely get closer than 10 feet even before this Covid shit. We toured to see how we could improve our efficiency and stay apart enough to get back open. 

We are reopening our manufacturing plant in Dallas on May 3 and our distribution plant in SLC around May 10. We have been debating for years what to do with our last manufacturing plant in Carson, CA. Nothing is easy in California and they won’t give us any timeline on what to do or what to expect. We moved our other California plants to Texas and Utah over the past 5 years. My biz parters and I all grew up in So Cal and still want a presence in California but finding it makes less sense to be there. I feel bad for our 51 employees and their families. We moved over 90 employees to Dallas and SLC over the past three years. All seem happier. We may offer their jobs in other states. 

Yours is a dangerous and stupid fucking opinion. If we open up states for work WITHOUT testing, WITHOUT a vaccine, WITHOUT proven therapies and WITHOUT enough people with antibodies (our current situation), our 42,000 dead will go up by orders of magnitude in a way that will mirror the Spanish Flu of 1918.

STOP.  WATCHING.  FOX.  NEWS.

My wife works with an assembly line when unloading merchandise from a trailer and I believe there is sufficient space between co-workers when that is happening and she has been working at least 40 to 60 hours some weeks and she has been just fine and I have been just fine.  I know some friends who work at those Amazon fulfillment centers in the Denver area and I haven't heard about them falling sick either.  Hopefully your businesses gets back up and running since there are many people who have families for sure and none of them get sick.

I think ultimately this might end up being viewed as one big overreaction but nothing wrong with that when it comes to saving lives.  Something to learn from and something that will change us as a country.

I'm going to keep going to my usual sources for my news.

Have a great day.

18 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

My wife works with an assembly line when unloading merchandise from a trailer and I believe there is sufficient space between co-workers when that is happening and she has been working at least 40 to 60 hours some weeks and she has been just fine and I have been just fine.  I know some friends who work at those Amazon fulfillment centers in the Denver area and I haven't heard about them falling sick either.  Hopefully your businesses gets back up and running since there are many people who have families for sure and none of them get sick.

What really needs to happen is Amazon needs to send more of those workers home, give them full pay and benefits while they are home, and the federal government needs to do better than $1200 per taxpayer.  Bezos didn't make $160B by working hard.  He made that money on the backs of his workers.  They're owed full-pay while they do what's in the national interest: Stay Home.

I think ultimately this might end up being viewed as one big overreaction but nothing wrong with that when it comes to saving lives.  Something to learn from and something that will change us as a country.

"Thinking" isn't your strong suit.

I'm going to keep going to my usual sources for my news.

Have a great day.

Which means you'll continue to be a fucking idiot.

2 hours ago, glduck said:

Trying to reconcile being ready to open the country back up with the situation being so dire immigration was just shut down.

Taxpayer money is being used to pay $600 per week (or is it every two weeks?) per person to unemployed citizens.  Best to get the unemployed citizens off of that unemployment money especially when those immigrants would not be taking unemployment money and if they got the job before the unemployed citizen, that means another $600 gone per person to pay mortgage or rent more than helping the economy.  That unemployment money isn't necessarily going back into the economy.  

And then do we have the testing in place for those immigrants?

30 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Taxpayer money is being used to pay $600 per week (or is it every two weeks?) per person to unemployed citizens.  Best to get the unemployed citizens off of that unemployment money especially when those immigrants would not be taking unemployment money and if they got the job before the unemployed citizen, that means another $600 gone per person to pay mortgage or rent more than helping the economy.  That unemployment money isn't necessarily going back into the economy.  

And then do we have the testing in place for those immigrants?

Good god you have no idea what you're talking about.  Perhaps second only to food stamps, unemployment cash gets DIRECTLY infused into the economy.

A TRUE stimulus would give $4k-$5k per month to every American who has lost her job.  ALL of that money would go toward rent, groceries, car loans, etc.  That props up a whole host of industries.  Instead, we have a crooked president with no oversight handing trillions to millionaires and watching that money get socked away, sometimes overseas.

As for immigration, THOUSANDS of front-line medical workers here are undocumented immigrants.  If you think it's a good idea to deport soldiers who are fighting this war, you're not a patriotic American. 

Yes, we can test undocumented immigrants if we stop these xenophobic scare tactics that make it harder for them to come forward for testing or care.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 10:17 AM, Orange said:

Good god you have no idea what you're talking about.  Perhaps second only to food stamps, unemployment cash gets DIRECTLY infused into the economy.

A TRUE stimulus would give $4k-$5k per month to every American who has lost her job.  ALL of that money would go toward rent, groceries, car loans, etc.  That props up a whole host of industries.  Instead, we have a crooked president with no oversight handing trillions to millionaires and watching that money get socked away, sometimes overseas.

As for immigration, THOUSANDS of front-line medical workers here are undocumented immigrants.  If you think it's a good idea to deport soldiers who are fighting this war, you're not a patriotic American. 

Yes, we can test undocumented immigrants if we stop these xenophobic scare tactics that make it harder for them to come forward for testing or care.

I've been laid off for 3 weeks now, and I've received $1390 each week.  790 from WA and 600 from the fed's.  I'll take more money if they want to give it to me, but I also can still pay my bill's right now.

On 5/4/2020 at 3:51 PM, RogueDuck said:

I've been laid off for 3 weeks now, and I've received $1390 each week.  790 from WA and 600 from the fed's.  I'll take more money if they want to give it to me, but I also can still pay my bill's right now.

Good!  I think you deserve every penny.

The only way we beat this virus is to stay home and let medical professionals do the things that need to be done in any pandemic to beat it (test and contract-trace, develop therapies, vaccines, etc.).  People NEED to be paid adequately to stay home.

But we'll run out of money if the govt. doesn't fight the virus strategically, using testing.  We're at 250k tests per day now.  We need to be at 5 million.  Trump and his idiotic team has ZERO intention of even getting us there.  It's fucking terrifying.  It should terrify all of you if you've been paying attention.

Perhaps I shouldn't.  Perhaps I should be blissfully unaware and rioting with the trumpanzees.

On 5/4/2020 at 4:51 PM, RogueDuck said:

Best wishes to you and your family.

Here's the thing

The economy we currently have does not work for 95% of the people.

The people who actually perform work don't have a living wage, decent health care (if any) coverage, the wages are stagnant. The people who really benefit thanks to the exploitation of the 95%, are shareholders and the c-suite folks with billion dollar parachutes after they have driven a company into the ground.

That 5% are the ones pushing to open the economy. They aren't the ones performing the work and risking their health and lives for a pittance in comparison.

So the economy is broken. GOOD. Rebuild it in a way that benefits the 95%. No more sacrificing people on the altar of a machine that exploits them. Even the ones too ignorant to realize they are being used.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:03 AM, Orange said:

Good!  I think you deserve every penny.

The only way we beat this virus is to stay home and let medical professionals do the things that need to be done in any pandemic to beat it (test and contract-trace, develop therapies, vaccines, etc.).  People NEED to be paid adequately to stay home.

But we'll run out of money if the govt. doesn't fight the virus strategically, using testing.  We're at 250k tests per day now.  We need to be at 5 million.  Trump and his idiotic team has ZERO intention of even getting us there.  It's fucking terrifying.  It should terrify all of you if you've been paying attention.

Perhaps I shouldn't.  Perhaps I should be blissfully unaware and rioting with the trumpanzees.

Trump has no clue what to do and neither do any of the monkeys around him.

12 hours ago, utenation said:

It’s all about elections is the real answer for the moron Trump and his blind minions.

His only claim to fame is his economy. 

Right now, Trump's xenophobia is especially necessary to draw the fire of blame off himself, and onto minority groups, China, Europe, Democrats, Mexicans, etc.

The singular goal of Trump's administration right now is to blame-shift.  That's it.  There's literally zero other goal from his administration.  They have no strategy, no plan, no leadership.

The entire administration exists for the sake of holding power, and that's it.  It's sad to me that very intelligent professionals like Fauci are caught up dealing with these fucking incompetent shitheels.  It has to be a very sad, depressing cap to his career. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2020 at 7:11 AM, Pac12Fan said:

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit one of the Amazon shipping centers in Ft. Worth last week as they ship nearly 40% of our inventory. Their employees work 10 feet apart due to Covid restrictions. I am told that they rarely get closer than 10 feet even before this Covid shit. We toured to see how we could improve our efficiency and stay apart enough to get back open. 

We are reopening our manufacturing plant in Dallas on May 3 and our distribution plant in SLC around May 10. We have been debating for years what to do with our last manufacturing plant in Carson, CA. Nothing is easy in California and they won’t give us any timeline on what to do or what to expect. We moved our other California plants to Texas and Utah over the past 5 years. My biz parters and I all grew up in So Cal and still want a presence in California but finding it makes less sense to be there. I feel bad for our 51 employees and their families. We moved over 90 employees to Dallas and SLC over the past three years. All seem happier. We may offer their jobs in other states. 

How many of those employees are dead now?

Archived