Lie down on the couch

Orange

How's everybody doing through all this bullshit?  I don't know about the rest of you, but I've dropped about 10 lbs, often have sleepless nights, and I've had to severely limit my news intake just to keep from having occasional panic attacks.  Between homeschooling and trying to work a full day (all while vaguely wondering if my lungs will fill up with glass someday), life ain't that great right now.

4 hours ago, Orange said:

How's everybody doing through all this bullshit?  I don't know about the rest of you, but I've dropped about 10 lbs, often have sleepless nights, and I've had to severely limit my news intake just to keep from having occasional panic attacks.  Between homeschooling and trying to work a full day (all while vaguely wondering if my lungs will fill up with glass someday), life ain't that great right now.

What a fucking goofball

45 minutes ago, glduck said:

Been working from home since mid-March. Did not realize it was Memorial Day weekend until yesterday.

I knew it was memorial day, but no BBQ for me this weekend.  Sold my Green Mountain Grill a couple weeks ago, and ordered a new Traeger (May 5) from Costco.  It still hasn't shipped.  Usually I'll make some good ribs and brisket.  Hopefully it's here soon.  

I have really cut back on the news intake just like Org and I just check the local news stations that's pretty much it.  I'm more interested in what the weather is going to be that day than the actual news.  This is the most disconnected I have been from actual news and social media in a long time and I'm enjoying that a lot.

I'm going to the park some days and just finishing videogames these days.

I've been teaching from home, which has been interesting at times, but overall smooth enough.  Just have to know it's imperfect and a band-aid solution, not let the struggles overwhelm you, and support kids however I can.  The actual 'work' part of online teaching is simpler, but rough not being there for the kids when I know a lot of them need the emotional/social support they get from schools.  

We're waiting now to find out how ****** our budgets are going to be for next year.  We already have class sizes of 33 on average and with anticipated budget cuts could be looking at 38, I'd guess, unless the state uses its emergency funds.

2 hours ago, duckfandan said:

I've been teaching from home, which has been interesting at times, but overall smooth enough.  Just have to know it's imperfect and a band-aid solution, not let the struggles overwhelm you, and support kids however I can.  The actual 'work' part of online teaching is simpler, but rough not being there for the kids when I know a lot of them need the emotional/social support they get from schools.  

We're waiting now to find out how ****** our budgets are going to be for next year.  We already have class sizes of 33 on average and with anticipated budget cuts could be looking at 38, I'd guess, unless the state uses its emergency funds.

In Seattle the online classes have been so bad, the news said 6 out of 10 parents want to take their kids out of schools next year and home school them.  Obviously they all won't be able to.  But if Inslee keep the schools shut, this generation of kids will be way behind.  

Some of the things being floated around here for classes next year.  Maintain 6ft of distance in class, and hallways.  Even though the average class is already over 100% of capacity.  And good luck keeping HS kids 6 ft apart in the hallways.  Put up dividers around each desk.  The teacher cannot get close to the students, which will make it very hard to teach elementary kids.  And since the classes are already so full, they are also talking about having half days.  Morning for half the class, then the other half come in for the afternoons.  Which is going to be really tough on a lot of parents.  Not many people can stay at home with their 7 yo until they go to school at 1130.  

The distance learning has been a band-aid.  I've likely had 60-65% participation week to week.  It is definitely heightened and worsened the inequities in education.  

Even going to half days won't get class sizes down to a safe number. (assuming the safe number is truly keeping 6 ft distance.  We're discussing going to A/B schedules and kids only attending for a half day.  So a kid one week might be in class Mon, Wed, Fri 8-12.  We're a middle school with only 7th and 8th grade, and we're looking at teachers teaching both grade levels within their subject so all teachers are teaching all periods, but able to have class sizes 12 or under.

The idea is it would be a hybrid system where instruction is done in class and work is done at home.  Our district is finally going 1-1 technology with chrome books (bond money).  In Oregon, districts are being told to come up with three plans to be ready to implement in the Fall: fully in building, hybrid in building and online, and fully online.

I've been drinking too much, so I've had to make a concerted effort to break out of that pattern. I got my bicycle refurbished (BTW, bike shops are all overwhelmed right now) so I've found a good alternative to pounding Hornitos and Longboard. 

I bought a new mountain bike about a month ago (29er), and also taught my 7 year old to ride for the first time.  It's been like a throwback to the mid 80s when I bicycled everywhere for any reason.  We've hit up some tamer MTB trails in Bend (Deschutes River Trail, Shevlin, our local park's intermediate stuff, etc.).  That's been helpful.  Running 3-4 miles per day, 5 days per week is helpful, too.  On the flipside, I'm beginning to think weed and coffee is exacerbating my anxiety.  But I'm not prepared to do anything about it, because those might be my two favorite substances on earth.

There might be some kick ass trails still out by China Hat Road. Out past the Lost Tracks Golf Course. 

There used to be some caves out there, but I think crackheads and/or weird ritualistic folks shut them down. One of them- about a mile in to the cave- had a hole in the ceiling. Above, the hole had a small fence around it. We used to have campfires in there. 

PS, I literally helped build Lost Tracks. Grew up a mile away from it and a buddy of mine's dad got the seed contract. For weeks one summer, maybe 95-96, I walked behind a John Deere tractor pulling a long trailer, picking up twigs and rocks and shit. With like 12 other buddies. It was pretty slick. 

Nice, I'll have to check that out.  Rockridge Park is a brand new Bend Metro Park & Rec creation in NE Bend, and my kids and I have been tearing that thing up like crazy.  We also spun through Juniper Ridge which requires some pre-flight check to discuss the 500-strong homeless population out there that is essentially developing a stratified community.  It's wild, and it's going to make for a very difficult problem to solve when they try to get to the point of developing it.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:21 AM, Nakedmolerat said:

One of them- about a mile in to the cave- had a hole in the ceiling. Above, the hole had a small fence around it. We used to have campfires in there. 

That's Wind Cave. I've been there several times, but the last time was about 40 years ago. I'll bet that fire pit has been there for centuries.

• 2 weeks later...

Unemployed since March. Needless to say the job search isn't going anywhere. Taking an online course to switch to medical coding. They won't have age discrimination like the engineering field.

Honestly? I'm struggling with depression. Most days I only get out of bed to take care of the cats. My sleep schedule is all messed up right now getting at best 4 hours of sleep. I'm working on a not all at once transition. Start by getting up at noon.

Yes I already know that getting up and being active will help me through this. But knowing and executing are completely decoupled. No I'm not considering anything drastic. I just have zero motivation. I'm limiting my news intake because I just can't handle it. The country is so fuking broken I am not sure there is anyway to truly fix it. 

Hang in there, misfit.  My sleep has also been pretty fucked. If I had no kids to take care of and lived alone, I imagine I’d be in a much darker place (tho that certainly doesn’t stop me from complaining about them, too 😂)

Archived