2020 NFL

KUGRDON

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Well he’s a former first round pick and he’s played three years in the league, so he’s going into the final year of his initial 4-year deal and the Jets either picked up his 5th year option or the Seahawks will. So, two years to work out an extension.

I’m looking at it more like the Seahawks gave up James Carpenter, Bruce Irvin, Germain Ifedi, Radhaad Penny, and/or LJ Collier — the list of first round duds taken since the organization last hit on a first round pick in *2010* (Earl Thomas). For a team that has that kind of pattern of incompetence, two first round picks seem less valuable in our possession than a 24-year old All Pro.

Now re-sign Clowney and get after it.

Adams is great but he's not a transcendent safety by any means, I'd say he's probably 3rd or 4th best in the league if I had to rank them (but admittedly the top 5 is pretty bunched together). Safety is also just generally pretty low on the scale of positional importance. I'm assuming they're going to give him a new record deal for safeties and I would personally have preferred to allot that money towards Clowney or some other edge guy. And that doesn't even factor in the draft cost to acquire him, which was extremely steep.

Seahawks haven't been the best drafting team in the early rounds recently but with Russ on a mammoth deal the best way to build around him is to hit on cheap young talent, and first rounders are the best way to do that. They're pretty much hoping to scrape together enough competence to support their three or four elite players, and I'm not sure I love that strategy. Outside of Wagner and now Adams, that defense is kinda rough and I think if they didn't have the reputation they did people would be questioning it a lot more.

I can’t disagree with the overall value of safeties in today’s NFL, but Seattle’s defense requires a strong box safety to excel and that’s something we haven’t had since Kam. The value is a little higher in Seattle’s scheme.

9 hours ago, glduck said:

I can’t disagree with the overall value of safeties in today’s NFL, but Seattle’s defense requires a strong box safety to excel and that’s something we haven’t had since Kam. The value is a little higher in Seattle’s scheme.

I’m feeling a little bit better about the move now that I understand they have a deal for him to play at his current salary this year. It’s really a win now strategy though. I think bug is right about the strategy Of paying three or four elite players and filling in around them being suspect.  Even to the extent that’s a good strategy, it’s weakened when you give away high draft choices and As a result can’t get Get the cheap players to fill in around the elite.  
The immediate effect is positive though as it gives the Seahawks The strong box safety That Pete has deployed so successfully. Add Clowney and this is a strong Super Bowl contender.

Archived