PAC-12 going to conference only for football season

mugtang

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious to see if this is the same stuff that Rudy Carpenter was tweeting out about a couple weeks ago, if so they might as well not waste anyone's time and just announce they are sitting out as those demands he listed would never be agreed to.

Opens up a weird set of circumstances. Does that mean they are employees, contract workers? If they violate team rules can they be fined, or terminated. If they fail to meet minimum academic standards, is their contract voided. I see the point of the players, but its a pretty slippery slope. Positive drug tests could invalidate their being paid. Curfew violations, conduct issues. They could put themselves under a serious microscope, because once pay is involved, expectations must be met for the employer.

9 minutes ago, clpp01 said:

They released their "demands" and as expected half of it is a complete non starter so we will see if they will follow through with the threat of a boycott

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

Let them boycott and move on.  Don't let the tail wag the dog.  Respond to the boycott as a breach of contract by withdrawing the scholarship, kick them out of school, and ban them from the campus.

And what a bad time to threaten a boycott:  In a scaled down season that might not see completion.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Lol, I hope the playoff committee takes into account the Pac 12 will be far and away the weakest P5 conference if their players miss fall camp. 

In recent years, the playoff committee has already taken into account that the PAC12 has been far and away the weakest P5 conference.  This would be nothing new.

58 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Lol, I hope the playoff committee takes into account the Pac 12 will be far and away the weakest P5 conference if their players miss fall camp. 

are you that naive that you think this is only a PAC-12 issue?

The athletic is reporting that Some athletes at WSU informed WSU that they were going to opt out of playing this year. Those athletes were told That they would have their scholarships for next year but they would not be allowed to practice or be in team facilities.  You can’t protect the team if non-team members are present.  A lot of smoke in the air, hard to tell exactly what’s going on.  The school is reporting that nobody was removed from the team because of “We are united.”

So there is a distinction between the player opting out And leaving the team versus being cut.  I don’t know how valid the distinction is, but the players still have their scholarships either way.

its puzzling because the actions don’t sound like Rolo or Chun.

Another source indicating Woods Opted out rather than being kicked off the team. I hope they bring some clarity to this.

Some context: Woods would have been a redshirt sophomore with 6 catches and some special team experience.

9 hours ago, Scorcho said:

are you that naive that you think this is only a PAC-12 issue?

Good point.  I am sure other conferences may follow.  Not sure they can make a list of demands as a conference wide voice before fall camp.  It also looks like a lot of the P12 players are not buying into this and just want to play football.

Archived