Oregon is on fire

Orange

Yeah, air quality in the valley is worse than Mumbai, which is never... ideal.

Two large fires formed overnight to create Mega-Fire about 6 miles from my parent’s home, and as of 8 am it is officially 0% contained. So we’ve got some house guests for the foreseeable future.

Blue Pool is gone. It just doesn’t exist anymore. 

I'm in the foothills east of Seattle, and we got an insane blast of smoke from the Evans Fire near Natches on Monday night. It went from beautiful and clear to heavy smoke and 50 MPH gusts in about an hour. Several transformers blew, and more fires started. I have a friend in Pierce County who may have to evacuate. No relief in sight until next week.

Blue river is gone. Annihilated.  800 residents, homeless.  An entire school district, gone.  who knows how many got out, or defied the warnings and died. They’re now climate-change refugees.  

I’ve driven the McKenzie highway all of my adult life and several of my childhood years.  This is fucking catastrophic.  

Air has gotten worse today on the West side, but not at risk of any of the fires at least.  I grew up in Springfield and quite a few old family friends have been evacuated out in the McKenzie/Marcola areas.  My family's currently in level 1 evac in the Thurston area.  It's just mind blowing to think so many of the places I grew up going to are just gone now.

Much of Oregon is under hazardous air quality. Here in the 'burbs east of Seattle, ours is rising quickly. Much of the smoke from Oregon's fires was pushed offshore over the past few days, but now it's being blown to the NE right into Puget Sound. Our AQI went from 77 early this morning to 156 right now, and will be 224 or higher by this evening. Still nothing like Oregon is facing.

One thing's for sure: Even without COVID-19, there is no way the Ducks would have been playing tOSU tomorrow.

autzen_in_smoke.jpg?itok=Ts64fOHy 

I don't think people get how insane this is.  The west slope of the cascades is supposed to be green, wet country.  1 million acres burned in 3 days (500k is the average acreage burned, statewide, in an entire season).

We've expected Central Oregon to burn down for years.  It's a constant fear, every summer (particularly now with Bend exploding in population, bringing the backfiring motorcycles and yahoos with lighters).  Each month brings worse and worse shit in this ratfuck of a year, and I wouldn't be surprised if October brings Bend/Redmond to its knees with another insane fire.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you all Oregonians stay safe.  AQI has been bad here in Denver most of the summer too but not as bad as the one Org showed.

Colorado has all of those pine beetle kill trees nice and dry in the western half of the state.  We had some big ones this summer but I fear for the really big ones in the future.

Any cool looking masks to wear out there?

It's mostly better in the valley, save for the parts that burned. The pre/post pictures I've seen, juxtaposed with first person stories recounted make the rubble look that much worse. It really was a hellscape in the Santiam canyon for a long 8-12 hours that first night. 

Everyone was praying that the natural order of things would swing in our favor and we'd get rain. We did and it knocked most of the particulates out of the air. It's a little hazy now. 

• 3 weeks later...

My worst fears of a forest fire in the area that I grew up are coming true.  Two big forest fires (Cameron Peak & East Troublesome) could merge to become one big forest fire that has already burned a combined 300,000 acres in the northern Colorado Rockies.  There's another one just across the border in Wyoming.

It appears that the house I grew up has been spared with the fire line being about 500 feet away.  But Rocky Mountain National Park is burning right now and they had to evacuate both cities on the edges of the national park.  I went to school in Estes Park and that town is being evacuated right now.  The pine beetle kill in north/northwestern Colorado is coming home to roost.

There are going to be major political ramifications from all of those forest fires this summer.

16 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

My worst fears of a forest fire in the area that I grew up are coming true.  Two big forest fires (Cameron Peak & East Troublesome) could merge to become one big forest fire that has already burned a combined 300,000 acres in the northern Colorado Rockies.  There's another one just across the border in Wyoming.

It appears that the house I grew up has been spared with the fire line being about 500 feet away.  But Rocky Mountain National Park is burning right now and they had to evacuate both cities on the edges of the national park.  I went to school in Estes Park and that town is being evacuated right now.  The pine beetle kill in north/northwestern Colorado is coming home to roost.

There are going to be major political ramifications from all of those forest fires this summer.

Wait, you guys didn't rake?

Archived