Bowl Games: A Thread

glduck

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arguing that the expanded playoff will generate a big dollar payoff isn't the same as saying it's a good idea.  It'll be a cash-cow for sure, but it may not result in better college football.  But the people planning it know that.

If, however, the great minds of the Pac-12 agree with some of the posts here and think it's a rotten idea, we could simply announce that we won't participate.  Then, on an annual basis, we'd see one of those supposed-to-be-great Trojan teams, headed by the nation's 48th ranked coach, playing somebody like San Diego State or Wyoming in the riveting LA Bowl, played around December 18th (no comptition that early!)

Seriously, the college presidents and athletic directors hate the idea of a 12-team playoff.  They despise it, which is why, since the beginning in 1869, we haven't ever seen a larger playoff major college football.  So, what would force them to do what they detest?  A world where coaches' salaries and paying players and empty coffers have put them in a corner where the only way out is to sell their souls to Fox, ABC, CBS, ESPN, etc.

Will the Pac-12 get even one team in a 12-team playoff?  That's debateable given that we've become the annual crash-and-burn conference, where games in places like Pullman wield a knife to anybody hoping to elevate above mediocrity.

Well, they haven’t settled on this yet.  

we’ll have to see if it ever sees the light of day.   I wouldn’t be surprised if more conservative forces kill this idea as too much of a leap from the status quo.

If I’m the SEC, I’m pretty happy with the way things stand

2 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Larry Scott had a big salary too.

As did a lot of people at ESPN … for a while at least.C374E160-E764-4277-9B9C-4AD48975D3C1.jpeg.a43790ad30570f4fc0c37fa10af1b0bb.jpeg

6B721D0B-D909-4FD4-87BD-E235C634BE55.jpeg.f6145c0d3c911e6d8128f539d8d3e405.jpeg208D667F-1F7B-42E6-85D1-E07A426CFF6A.jpeg.50209ec56d228cc48e5ed9c6fc66cc76.jpeg
This Is Fine GIF

Since November of 2020 ESPN has done the following.

- New NFL deal: 30 billion/11 years

- New MLB deal: 4 billion/7 years

- New NHL deal: 3 billion/7 years

- New SEC deal for their GOTW & CCG: 3 billion/10 years

They clearly aren't hurting like they are portrayed to be.

55 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

You just don’t understand how bubbles work, do you?

I know that bubble isn't bursting anytime soon.  We haven't even truly entered the age of sports streaming yet and that will get here long before the sports bubble bursts

Expansion of the playoffs is no different than conference expansion, you aren't getting anywhere near the point where you are making official announcements recommending a move for expansion without having detailed conversations with your financial backers to know what you would be getting if you did. 

Can this be killed because university presidents still live in the 1840s? yeah it can but if it dies out it won't be because the money wasn't there for it.

From Stuart mandel, in The Athletic:

In 2019-20, the most recent season for which the CFP publicized its data, each Power 5 league got a flat fee of $67 million. A conference could net an additional $4 million for each team that qualified for a New Year’s Six bowl and $6 million for reaching a Playoff semifinal. As such, the spread between schools in the Big 12 (which splits only 10 ways) and those in 14-team leagues like the Big Ten was fairly modest — from $7 million to $10 million per school. The Power 5 conferences also net extra payments for their contracts with the Rose (average $40 million per team), Sugar ($40 million) and Orange ($27.5 million) bowls.

In an expanded Playoff, the expected average CFP revenue for each Power 5 conference jumps to just north of $320 million. In the Big 12, that amounts to $32 million per school, up from an average of $10 million today. The 12-team Pac-12’s hit $27 million; the 14-team ACC, Big Ten and SEC reach $23 million.

21 hours ago, clpp01 said:

Do you think they make prop bets as to who can come up with the dumbest name for a bowl game?

Somebody needs to be slapped with a tire iron

I mean, this ship sorta sailed with Boise's truck-stop bowl they had several years back...

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2021 at 10:11 AM, Scscsc89 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if this bowl game just went away permanently.  no one has much interest in traveling to the Bay Area in December and as such it has been dropping down the pecking order in both conferences.

On 6/17/2021 at 11:56 AM, clpp01 said:

Do you think they make prop bets as to who can come up with the dumbest name for a bowl game?

Somebody needs to be slapped with a tire iron

That's a pretty lame matchup.  Viewership will be low.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:48 PM, HLB said:

That's a pretty lame matchup.  Viewership will be low.

This game is the replacement for the old Las Vegas Bowl and those games have drawn pretty decent #s going back to 2008 which is as far back as I could track it, the Vegas Bowl averages 3.53 million viewers which given its a mid tier P12 bowl team vs a MWC school it is certainly respectable.  The old bowl was placed early in the schedule so it usually didn't have a lot of a competition to compete against so if they put it in a spot that isn't already overloaded with games it can still draw a decent audience.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:29 AM, clpp01 said:

This game is the replacement for the old Las Vegas Bowl and those games have drawn pretty decent #s going back to 2008 which is as far back as I could track it, the Vegas Bowl averages 3.53 million viewers which given its a mid tier P12 bowl team vs a MWC school it is certainly respectable.  The old bowl was placed early in the schedule so it usually didn't have a lot of a competition to compete against so if they put it in a spot that isn't already overloaded with games it can still draw a decent audience.

It's really not like @HLB to have his facts completely wrong like this!

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

• 4 months later...
On 6/14/2021 at 2:03 PM, Scscsc89 said:

Well, they haven’t settled on this yet.  

we’ll have to see if it ever sees the light of day.   I wouldn’t be surprised if more conservative forces kill this idea as too much of a leap from the status quo.

huh — let’s see what the ACC commisioner has to say …

Archived