Gaming Thread

PAC MAN

Anyone catch those Joe Montana Football 2K16 rumors?  It is a XB1/W10 exclusive apnd it appears to be an unlicensed game but as per the EA Sports-NFL deal from what is said online, first party football games that are NFL licensed do not have to be made by EA Sports.  Hopefully this could mean a return of NFL GameDay for the PS4 since they make an excellent baseball game for their Playstation devices.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having a serious blast with NBA 2K15 on the computer these days with that MyCareer feature.  Having said that, I'm waiting for this year's E3 before I decide to buy a next gen console if I really crave having a NFL football game.  Right now, I'd buy the XBox One due to EA Access which has an one year membership for $30.00.

List of EA Access games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Access

Right now, you could download Madden 25 (2013-14 game), Madden 15, NBA Live 15, and FIFA 14 for the XBox One.  EA did approach Sony about that for the PS4 but Sony turned EA down (stupid mistake by Sony IMO).

EA is bringing back the PGA Tour game that used to have Tiger Woods' name on it.

Now there is talk that EA Access could be headed for Windows 10 as well.  It seems like Microsoft is trying to shift more people away from console gaming to PC gaming and that could explain why you would be hearing about the growth potential of the PC in the coming years.

Also 2K Sports could unveil a new football game with Joe Montana's name at E3 for the XB1 and PC (it's reportedly a XB1 exclusive).  It may or may not have a NFL/NFLPA license but if it has the wonderful MyCareer feature found in the NBA 2K series on the next gen systems, the PC, and even mobile devices, that could be a big hit.  People need to remind themselves that while EA has the FIFA license for soccer, there are other un-lincensed soccer games out there.

That would be my reasoning for the XB1 being the console of choice for sports videogamers (RBI Baseball is available on the XB1 too).

E3 could change that.  What if Sony relents and announces EA Access?  What if NBA 2K16 is also going to the Nvidia Shield?  Could Joe Montana 2K16 go to that device as well since it is still considered a mobile device in some ways?  Or what if EA finally puts their sports games on the PC?

The XB1 also has Sling TV on it if you subscribe to that $20.00 monthly plan which includes the ESPN channels.  That is not something the PS4 will have and not even on Playstation Vue.

• 3 weeks later...

Madden NFL 16 will release on August 25th and more details will come in May...I believe closer to the NFL Draft.

Nvidia Shield console release is getting close.

RBI Baseball 15 will be on the PC soon via Steam.  Same for WWE 2K15.

NASCAR '15 will be on PC, 360, and PS3 instead of the XB1 & PS4 which surprised me but it's a good bet that '16 will be on the next gen consoles.  I got a feeling that this year's sports games could be the last on the PS3 & 360.  They already started stripping away the features on the PS3/360 version of the NBA 2K games and Madden will probably be no different in this case this year if it hasn't happened last year.  I'm thinking price cuts for the PS3 and 360 could be announced soon.

Thanks for speaking up.  Why should I not get the XBONE?  I'm torn at this point but it would be no big deal if I went with the PS4 despite liking the XB1 gamepad more than the PS4 gamepad.  How well does the Remote Play work on the PS Vita?  Same for Playstation Now on the Vita?

I'm looking at just sticking with PC gaming for now but I might get a console again one way or the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Now_games

If I already bought some of those games on my old PS3, would I still be able to play those games free of charge?  Or would I be better off getting a PS3?  This is what happens when you have a bunch of games under your PSN account...it's hard to let go.

The PS4 to me just has better titles, stronger network. They've made a bunch of upgrades to the PSN -- and the exclusive games on the Playstation are just better -- the only reason why I'll renew my XBOX Live Membership is for when Halo comes out.

It wouldn't make a difference with sports games? If I'm a baseball diehard, the PS4 is a definitive buy but I'm just playing basketball and football games these days. I'm not into shooting games so the hardware requirements are not as high as they would be. You can play the XB1/PS4 version of NBA 2K15 on a dual core cpu with a cheap GPU that has a slightly higher data rate transfer than the 360/PS3. You can use a Core 2 Quad (precedes the iCores) to run next gen FIFA.

Some of the action games and FPS games seem to require more powerful hardware. Given how much I enjoy NBA 2K, I might not need to buy a new console and take my sweet time in upgrading my PC. I'm basically waiting on to see if Joe Montana 2K16 is for real and what kind of hardware specs would be needed if it comes out for Windows 10.

Given how it seems like Microsoft and Sony have lost a lot of money last gen due to RROD for the 360 and high cost of the cell cpu for the PS3, both companies went conservative with the XB1 and PS4. Windows 10 and Playstation Now are very subtle clues that M$ and Sony are pushing the burden of producing the hardware onto the customers beginning with this gen so if I was any gamer, I'd be looking into how to make gaming rigs.

The big elephant in the room is the Madden NFL series if they will be on the PC or not.

This year and next year's E3 expo will define the XB1/PS4 gen along with a new Nintendo console that is under development.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sony really knocked it out of the ballpark too. Final Fantasy VII remake slated for 2017.

This is already the best E3 in years and there is still so much more to be announced. Not holding my breath for Nintendo at this point.

I'm going to be typing an E3 recap here:

Earlier, I said that I'm not holding my breath for Nintendo...smart move on my part as Nintendo had possibly its worst E3 presser ever.  It was so bad that Nintendo's stock price took a sharp dive the following day.  It seems like Nintendo is abandoning the Wii U and moving on with NX.  I wasn't pleased by how they handled Metroid at that show and that was enough for me to stick a fork in Nintendo for good.  Those Batman Arkham games are considered to be "Metroidvanias" and a few other computer games are like that so I'm good at this point.  There are also plenty of Zelda alternatives out there as well.  Stick a fork in Nintendo as a console company...time for them to take the SEGA route.  They do truly symbolize what has happened to the Japanese video game companies these days...being too proud of their work and not coming up with anything new.  Capcom hasn't made any new Mega Man games and the Mega Man creator set up his own company and Mighty No. 9 is the spiritual successor to Mega Man.  Konami has seemingly exited the console games market and the Castlevania creator has done the same thing by setting up Bloodstained as the spiritual successor to Castlevania.  Even the Metal Gear Solid creator is no longer with Konami (unless I'm wrong on that) so we could see a spiritual successor to that series as well.  Nintendo is also looking into other business ventures so it wouldn't be so far-fetched to see Nintendo take the route of Konami and leave it up to Sony and Microsoft to take over the video gaming world.

While I'm at it with the Japanese publishers, it seems like they are doing remakes or remasters.  I don't mind seeing those Resident Evil remasters since they are being brought into the HD age but it seems like a troubling trend for the Japanese publishers.  It's great to see that Final Fantasy VII will be a remake (not a remaster) as long as they leave the Materia system alone but again, it seems like the Japanese devs have truly fallen a long way from where they were at in the 1990's.  I used to buy quite a few Japanese RPGs but they seemingly have taken a dive as well while western RPGs have really gone up (I'm behind the times in this instance but it's hard not to notice).  That will be all I have to say about Nintendo and Japanese game devs.

Joe Montana Football 2K16 will be on mobile first before it ends up on the PC.  It sucks that the dev didn't state this at first and allowed the hype machine to build up before being deflated by the news that it will be an iOS game first.  That means more time for me to work on getting my PC up to par (no upgrades since I built it except it's on Windows 8.1) before that game comes out.  The disappointing thing is that this is most likely a 2016 release (this year is almost halfway done!).  Probably the second biggest letdown of E3 after that hot mess by Nintendo.

What am I excited about?

The Doom reboot.  You certainly could tell that it plays more like the original Doom and Doom II instead of the slower paced Doom 3.  The Shadow Warrior reboot will also receive a sequel for next year as well.  I prefer Doom & Shadow Warrior to Call of Duty & Battlefield.

Gears of War Ultimate will be coming to the PC as well.  So will Killer Instinct and even better is that Microsoft said that they will be announcing more XBox One games to PC games (Windows 10 only) in the coming months.  Gamescomm (the European version of E3) will be on the first week of August which will be about a week after Windows 10 is released to the general public so perhaps there will be more PC gaming news.

I'm still curious to see how the FF7 remake comes out.  I think it's highly likely it is more of an action RPG instead of the turn-based RPG the original is.

That Need For Speed reboot ("reboot" seems to be a popular word these days) is another one I'm looking forward to since it reminds me of Underground since it was the game that led me to becoming a NFS fan on the PS2.  I guess western devs are jumping onto the remake/remaster/reboot train too.

And the nice thing is that you don't have to buy the game new on day one, just wait for them to work out the bugs and buy it at a lower price later on.  Works for me!

Just got a standalone Playstation TV unit brand new at GameStop for $39.99. Now I just need to get a DS3 or DS4 and I'm all set! (PSTV has 1GB of internal memory like the current Vita has so I don't have to rush to get a Vita memory card right away but I'm getting either 16 or 32GB since my PSP went over 8GB easily when you counted all those games and there is still a lot of good PSP (and PSOne classics) I haven't bought yet.

This might mean I will go with the PS4 in the future. At least I'm going to wait for the bigger HDDs in this case. I filled out a 320GB PS3 HDD before so I don't think even the new 1TB HDDs will be even enough.

Archived