Gaming Thread

PAC MAN

The original XBox was more like an actual PC and that is why M$ lost money on the XBox (due to the high cost of parts).  The 360 was more of a PowerPC just like the PS3 & the Wii not an actual x86 PC like we all use.  It just happens that the 360 is owned by M$ and compatiably issues wouldn't be that big of a deal but the conversion from x86 to PowerPC would explain why a lot of console games didn't get ported to the PC.

The PS4/XB1 genernation will be the first time that such console ports to PC will be much more easily done since they will all use the same x86 PC archiecture.  I don't ever recall in the last 25-30 years that this happened with consoles and PCs except for the original XBox which used Intel Pentinum III cpus.

Porting PowerPC based games like on the PS3, 360, and Wii to x86 based computers would cost money to do so and in some cases, the game dev studios decided that it would not be worth the hassle to do so.  In the Wii's case, it had more to do with the unique hardware they have and that would explain why they are still in business today.  That is why Apple started to sell more computers after they ditched PowerPC CPUs for Intel CPUs.

As for configuration, it's up to the user to ensure that it isn't that big of an issue.  In my case, I only had to program the XBox 360 controller to use what button I wanted to use for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (SSFIV:AE) plus work on the graphics stuff.  Other than that, there's not much difference from running the games.  That's why I will use an AMD A10-6800k processer in my computer since that is the same type of CPU that they use for the Playstation 4 Dev kits and both the XB1 & PS4 will use the same kind of AMD processer.  Some CPU & motherboard combo deals with that very cpu I'm talking about is selling at Microcenter (online actually) in the $150-175 range.  I'm definetly getting Windows 8 since there won't be much difference between Windows 8 and the XB1 OS which is based on Windows 8.  I'm planning on doing a dual OS boot so I could run Linux and I would go full time with Linux once I figure out how to have those PC games running on Linux (using Wine HQ or other programs that run Windows programs on Linux).

When you have an APU, it would be a great idea to have more RAM than you need.  I'm going to definetly max out the RAM which would be 32GB or 64GB depending on the motherboard.  This stems from some issues I have ran into while using an Intel Core i3 laptop with HD Graphics for SSFIV:AE.  There's only 4GB of RAM on the laptop and the OS uses like just under 2GB of RAM which leaves just 2GB and I think the minimum requirement is 2GB so the game sometimes stutters as a result.  Given that the PS4/XB1 will have 8GB of RAM and it's up to the devs to determine how much goes to running the game and how much goes to the VRAM, I'm thinking the most VRAM those PS4/XB1 games would use would be around 4GB but M$ & Sony tend to have those game devs not use the full specs at first.  For instance, Burnout Paradise runs on the 360 which uses 512MB of VRAM but Burnout Paradise only needed 128MB and recommended 256MB to run that game which is 1/4 to half of the VRAM of the 360.  I'm thinking that the required VRAM for the XB1 would be either 1GB or 2GB to begin with and certainly not all eight cores...more like four cores especially the XB1 because the plan was to have four for the games and the other four to support four Kinects plus the background stuff the PS4/XB1 would be doing so it will be about impossible for the game devs to use all eight cores of those consoles.  The only PS4 games that could really take advantage of the eight cores would be the first party devs.  I play more third party games than first party games so I think at this point I only need four core cpus such as the AMD A10  APU.  The only thing that I do not know about the A10 APU is how much the max VRAM will be.  I suspect that is more tied to how much RAM you have.  With 16 to 32GB of RAM, I'm sure that PC I would build would be able to outdo the PS4/XB1.

I don't think the quad core tablets are actually using all four cores when playing games due to the background stuff going on...maybe more like two or maybe even three.

If I don't have enough cores in a CPU, that will be resolved with a second computer that I would build. B)  At least those 360 games would be running pretty smooth on a quad core CPU and at least the first three to five years of the XB1 games.

Sorry for all the rambling...the bottom line is that game devs can now truly support not just the consoles but PCs as well.  It'll be interesting to see how they battle PC game piracy in this case.  This could very well be the golden age of gaming so I think it's pretty resonable to be excited about next gen since PC games that usually do not end up on the consoles will most likely be able to go to the consoles and the same could be said about console to PC as well. 

I am a game developer (programmer), and I have worked in the industry for over 20 years. I have worked for both Microsoft and Take Two Interactive ( parent company of Rockstar ).

On several of the games I have worked on, we have pc configuration that we develop on in addition to x360, ps3, wii, etc. because it is easier to debug on it, and most all development is done on pc's using windows and Visual Studio. Going from 360 build to a PC build is a simple recompile, there are a few different DirectX API calls, but for the most part very little work to get it running on my development system, yet we don't release the PC version because it is not worth the cost, headache and time it would take to try and make it run on the vast spectrum of pc hardware that is out there. If you could require the latest, greatest pc's like the gaming system you are building, it wouldn't be an issue, but if you want a game to appeal to mass market, it has to run on systems that are at least 5+ years old, with various levels of graphics cards, RAM, storage, CPU, peripherals. This is the main reason many games are not being released for the PC, not the difficulty of porting to an x86 architecture.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a game developer (programmer), and I have worked in the industry for over 20 years. I have worked for both Microsoft and Take Two Interactive ( parent company of Rockstar ).

On several of the games I have worked on, we have pc configuration that we develop on in addition to x360, ps3, wii, etc. because it is easier to debug on it, and most all development is done on pc's using windows and Visual Studio. Going from 360 build to a PC build is a simple recompile, there are a few different DirectX API calls, but for the most part very little work to get it running on my development system, yet we don't release the PC version because it is not worth the cost, headache and time it would take to try and make it run on the vast spectrum of pc hardware that is out there. If you could require the latest, greatest pc's like the gaming system you are building, it wouldn't be an issue, but if you want a game to appeal to mass market, it has to run on systems that are at least 5+ years old, with various levels of graphics cards, RAM, storage, CPU, peripherals. This is the main reason many games are not being released for the PC, not the difficulty of porting to an x86 architecture.

It's pretty awesome to have someone like you on this forum.  Speaking of what you said about 360 to PC ports for instance, I think the same thing could be applied to making games on iOS compared to Android due to fragmentation.  I have wanted to switch to Android so I could learn about Android but due to games, I'm sticking with Apple.

Valve just announced a new Linux based OS called SteamOS: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/valve-announces-linux-based-steamos-as-basis-for-living-room-gaming/

Valve recently did a survey where with your permission, you would allow Valve to see what kind of system you were running and the Valve Steam has a lot of users...I read that it's in the millions.  Now they are coming out with their OS.  I wonder if this is the sign of things to come for gaming where an OS would have a minimum requirement to be able to run games and that would give game devs a fixed target on what to develop their games with.  From what I have read in gaming magazines over the years is that PC game makers had to deal with what was a floating target whereas with the consoles, it's a fixed target.  That would mean the PC gamer would be responsible for putting together a PC that would be able to run that OS just like having the necessary specs to run a Windows OS.

I think the next company that could pull this off would be Electronic Arts since they have Origin.  Ubisoft has theirs and I'd say that is a large company as well.  Perhaps Sony would be open to that down the road and the Playstation 5 could be just an OS.  Same for Microsoft and the XBox line...they could easily have an XBox OS for download.  I believe that the selling point of videogame systems are much less about the hardware and more about the service that it provides so over time, it's possible that those companies shift the burden of building the machine from themselves to the customer.  I personally have enjoyed PSN the most but XBox Live is the most streamlined of those services.  Microsoft and Sony have lost a ton of money over the years by selling their gaming machines below the cost to produce them while Nintendo reversed that trend beginning with the Wii...don't know if that's the case with the Wii U.  I think that could revitalize PC sales which appears to be really slumping at this point so ATI & Nvidia could really throw their weight behind this plus some PC makers as well.

And I had to laugh since the online ad that is showing while I'm typing is for the XBox One. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Not a Grand Theft Auto fan but I have read good stuff about that game.  From my understanding, when you buy GTAV, get GTAV and GTA Online.

Man, I'd say Rockstar has its hands full for GTA 6 but with the money they got from GTAV, they can take their sweet time.

And HOLY BATMAN!  Batman Arkham Asylum is $5 & Batman Arkham City is $7.50 on Steam.

I'm about to get a new iPhone...most likely the 5S and that means I can go to GameStop and trade in my iPhone 4.  Last time I checked, GameStop is offering about $200 in-store credit for 16GB iPhone 4 and about $60 for a 64GB third gen iPod touch.  I couldn't stop looking at the Zelda Wind Walker HD edition of the Wii U at GameStop...maybe I'll get a Wii U soon or I'll get a 2DS or 3DS...I'm hearing good stuff about Zelda A Link Across Worlds which is coming out next month.  I'm thinking somewhere in that game is a hidden copy of the SNES Zelda classic since ALAW is taking place in the same setting as the SNES classic.  That would be great value for $40.

I think Nintendo will have a good 2014.

GTA VI wont be happening for a very long time. I'd say no sooner than 4 years. It took them 5 years just to make GTA V, and with what they have in the online world, I dont see that changing anytime soon.

I agree and Rockstar deserves to take its sweet time since people will probably be still playing GTA V by the time VI comes out.  I'm thinking maybe they will make another Bully game.

I probably put in 400 hours on Skyrim for the XBox. It's a terrific game, but it's easy to get bogged down collecting stuff and hauling it.

I have been thinking about getting one of the Elder Scrolls games (#3, 4, or 5) for a bit of time.  Maybe I'll get the whole collection (#1-5) since it's possible that the first two could be optimized for use with the 360 controller.  Thinking about Doom 3 BFG edition unless I can figure out how to get the 360 to work with the MS-DOS versions of those old school Doom games.

GTA VI wont be happening for a very long time. I'd say no sooner than 4 years. It took them 5 years just to make GTA V, and with what they have in the online world, I dont see that changing anytime soon.

They will likely do a re-skin or some sort of mission pack before then that uses the same engine with some new content, like they did with vice city.

Microsoft denied today that you could use Windows 8 apps on the XB1 like a Dell advertisement said.

http://www.neowin.net/news/did-dell-just-confirm-that-all-windows-8-apps-can-run-on-xbox-one

I think it would be possible to use Office 365 on the XB1 and if it is possible to use Windows 8 apps, I could imagine that there would be XB1 shortages that could be worse than the Wii shortages in the past.  I have a Mac Mini that just got updated with Mavericks OS X without any problems and they have the same iOS apps.  Some iOS games are sold on the Mac App Store as well.  It's only a matter of time before OS X and iOS are ONE OS instead of two seperate OS that works well together...IF Apple decides to do that.  Those new 64-bit iPhones and iPads could be a hint of things to come.

I'm beginning to wonder if that $499.99 pricetag for the XB1 could include Office 365 or not.

And there will be a lot of ticked off PC manufacturers if that was the case.

I agree and Rockstar deserves to take its sweet time since people will probably be still playing GTA V by the time VI comes out.  I'm thinking maybe they will make another Bully game.

I have been thinking about getting one of the Elder Scrolls games (#3, 4, or 5) for a bit of time.  Maybe I'll get the whole collection (#1-5) since it's possible that the first two could be optimized for use with the 360 controller.  Thinking about Doom 3 BFG edition unless I can figure out how to get the 360 to work with the MS-DOS versions of those old school Doom games.

I've been hearing about a Bully sequel for years, and a sequel to Red Dead Redemption seems like a no-brainer. I loved that game.

I've been hearing about a Bully sequel for years, and a sequel to Red Dead Redemption seems like a no-brainer. I loved that game.

I haven't played any Red Dead games...I need to get cracking on that.

And you got a cool new avatar.

Microsoft is literally writing the script for "How NOT to launch a new console". The more and more things I hear about XB1, the more likely I am to just stick with the 360. Everytime someone from Microsoft talks about it, Sony is spending less and less money on marketing because Microsoft is selling more PS4's than Sony is.

Just absolutely ridiculous how stupid and arrogant that organization has become on the console side of the house to think that people aren't going to sit there and now question everything that's been published about it. Seriously, f*cking DELL!!! comes out and says "Hey you'll be able to do this, that and the other..." and Microsoft's response is "nuh-uh". Really??

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the XB1 launch is probably going to be a disaster but didn't we all think the PS3 was going to be a disaster when it first came out thanks to that $500-$600 pricetag?  Now look at how awesome the PS3 is these days.  People are so quick to judge and determine the outcome of a game console's future these days hoping that they are right and can say I TOLD YOU SO!  The PS4 does look like the console to beat but I think people are writing off the XB1 too soon.

I'm sticking with my Nintendo + PC gaming plan for this upcoming gen and will get a Wii U as soon as possible.  People have given Nintendo a hard time about how slowly the Wii U is selling these days but I think people have forgotten how to be patient with a console's launch.  The Wii U deserves more time before we figure out its fate.  The reasons?

1. Nintendo hasn't released a Wii U version of Zelda just yet.  The Zelda game that is out is a remake of the GameCube Zelda game.  Perhaps Nintendo didn't want a repeat of the Wii supply issues and having a Zelda game at launch probably led to those issues.

2. I have Super Mario 3D Land for the 2DS and they are releasing Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U on the same day that the 2DS/3DS gets their Zelda game that is not a remake.  I am getting that game on the day it comes out.  That is going to be a very good day at the bank for Nintendo on November 22nd.

3. Software always sell systems not hardware.

4. The Wii U hasn't gotten its Zelda, Metroid, and Donkey Kong (2014 confirmed for DK) games yet.  I am hoping for at least two Zelda games for the Wii U and the same for Metroid.  Super Smash Bros will grace both the 3DS and Wii U early next year and the Wii U will get a Mario Kart game.

5. Nintendo is still doing their best to come up with new IPs.  Wonderful 101 is one of those games but it appears to me that Nintendo still needs to work on its marketing.  Nintendo Directs are great but there needs to be more marketing in other areas.

I'm wondering if the 3DS Zelda game sells very well, the Wii U version would mirror the 3DS version.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/04/wii-mini-coming-to-the-u-s.aspx?PageIndex=2

The Wii Mini is coming to the US for $99.99 with Mario Kart Wii included.  That is basically the Wii without the BC with the GameCube and no internet connection which means no Virtual Console.  I have that on my 3DS and the only SNES games I truly would want are Super Metroid, Zelda, and Super Mario World.  I have a Retrogen 3 so no worries there.

I played New Super Mario Bros Wii and that game is easily in my top three greatest Mario games.  Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World are the other two.  It's now $29.99 and the same for Super Mario Galaxy 2.  I haven't played the Zelda games for the Wii either so there is incentive for me to get a Wii Mini.

Still planning on getting the Wii U but with the backlog of Wii games, that can wait.

Archived