Seen any good movies lately?

Orange

indeed it does.

based on nothing other than a lone trailer, I have high hopes for The New Mutants. it's a lame graphic novel concept (the next generation of mutants, after the x-men) but Fox rebranded it as a quasi-horror movie and the trailer looked great/.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw Justice League last night. Didn't care much for it.

Thought story and dialog pretty bad, don't care for Ben Affleck as Batman or Henry Cavill as Superman. I thought Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Cyborg were by far the most compelling characters and best performances, unfortunately all were very minor roles compared to the big 2. 

Zach Snyder's movies suck, by and large.  Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead and 300 were reasonably entertaining, but it's like he's chronically incapable of having any FUN with a superhero movie.

And Ben Affleck sucks air from the room as an actor.

Put in a search on my dish receiver to record any movies with James Stewart, William Holden, John Wayne or Humphrey Bogart. Today I watched 1959’s ‘Anatomy of a Murder’ with James Stewart, Lee Remick and Ben Gazzara directed by Otto Preminger.  A very good courtroom drama.  Other highlights, Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace and Floyd the barber from Mayberry and The Andy Griffith Show were witnesses at the trial.  Also notable is the jazz music soundtrack.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw The Disaster Artist this weekend.  I was underwhelmed at first.  I think it would've helped had I seen The Room, or been one of those hipster college kids over the years who went to midnight screenings of that train wreck.  I watched a few scenes of The Room on Youtube after seeing TDA and.....holy shit.  For acting, directing, set design, writing, and even green-screen effects to come together in such a holly alliance of shitty is a thing to behold.  It's rarer than greatness.  I see why this was so popular, and why Franco made the movie now.  Tommy Wiseau's interviews are a wonder now, too.  

http://mashable.com/2017/12/01/the-room-the-disaster-artist-side-by-side/#qBkw.WA1LaqL

so i haven't seen it yet, but the new stars seems very polarizing. a bunch of my friends loved it, but i've already seen petitions online to get Last Jedi removed from official star wars canon. 

to which: it's fucking star wars, man. you gotta take the bad with the good. my generation was the prequel generation, which means anyone my age grew up knowing nothing but awful star wars. i've always been of the opinion that return of the jedi was a terrible piece of shit, too. copy the plot of the first movie, only strip it of all its charm, kill off boba fett in embarrassing fashion, and run amock on endor with a bunch of disney bears. come on, that's terrible.

i actually liked force awakens, and i think rogue one sits atop star wars mountain alongside empire. but we were due for a dud, if in fact Last Jedi is a dud.

1 hour ago, glduck said:

so i haven't seen it yet, but the new stars seems very polarizing. a bunch of my friends loved it, but i've already seen petitions online to get Last Jedi removed from official star wars canon. 

to which: it's fucking star wars, man. you gotta take the bad with the good. my generation was the prequel generation, which means anyone my age grew up knowing nothing but awful star wars. i've always been of the opinion that return of the jedi was a terrible piece of shit, too. copy the plot of the first movie, only strip it of all its charm, kill off boba fett in embarrassing fashion, and run amock on endor with a bunch of disney bears. come on, that's terrible.

i actually liked force awakens, and i think rogue one sits atop star wars mountain alongside empire. but we were due for a dud, if in fact Last Jedi is a dud.

I saw it on Friday, thought it was pretty meh. Better than the prequels, but definitely my least favorite of the new batch of films ( liked Rogue One best then Force Awakens ).  I thought Luke and Kylo Ren both came off as whiny little bitches for most of the film, there were large sections that I found pretty boring. YMMV

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 12:53 PM, glduck said:

That seems shortsighted by Star Wars fans. They, of all people, should know that if you try to strike something down it will only come back stronger. 

• 4 weeks later...

per usual, once a popular movie comes out look here six weeks later for a timely review.

finally saw last jedi. it was good! i'm no star wars purist -- i read about the criticism, but i cared about almost none of the complaints. i think when you suspend your disbelief enough to embrace "the force", you gotta take whatever it is that concept throws at you. really, my only issue was that the movie sort of went lord of the rings: return of the king on us and just when i thought it was time to get up to leave the movie went on for another 30 minutes.

the force awakens was almost a carbon copy of a new hope, and i know people really liked that, but i liked how last jedi broke from the mold. 

Shape of Water was ....interesting I guess.  

If anything, it's made me admire Michael Shannon more and more.  That guy might be the most underrated character actor working today.  He can play some very ruthless, weird villains.  He's also good as a straight-laced lawman in Waco, a 6-part TV series currently on something called the Paramount Network, which I didn't know I had until I accidentally scrolled past it while looking for Animal Planet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 11:02 AM, Orange said:

Shape of Water was ....interesting I guess.  

If anything, it's made me admire Michael Shannon more and more.  That guy might be the most underrated character actor working today.  He can play some very ruthless, weird villains.  He's also good as a straight-laced lawman in Waco, a 6-part TV series currently on something called the Paramount Network, which I didn't know I had until I accidentally scrolled past it while looking for Animal Planet.

"Interesting" won it all.

I was happy that Gary Oldman finally won an Oscar, but apparently you're supposed to have a perfect past in order to win an academy award and feel good about it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryanrolli/2018/03/05/oscars-2018-gary-oldman-kobe-bryant/#2b5c34775533

Archived