Seen any good movies lately?

Orange

Nebraska.  See it.  Lush characters and sparse landscapes.  Warning:  Black and White.  The monument to Bruce Dern's acting career.  It is also nominated for 6 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Dern), Best Supporting Actress (June Squibb, really hope she wins), and Best Original Screenplay.

"C'mon, have a beer with your old man.  Be somebody."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvW_DmfKfSk

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw Captain Phillips and it was pretty good.

Saw the documentary Blackfish and it depressed the hell out of me.

Saw Don Jon and it was okay. I agree with Org about the ending, what the hell was that about? It would have been nice if the movie took more time to develop characters so that the ending is based on some sort of logical conclusion.

Really want to see Dallas Buyers Club and (don't judge me) the Lego movie.

Lego movie is getting SERIOUS praise, wouldn't judge you at all for seeing it, kid or no kid (though I'll probably bring my son).

Still trying to get away to see Wolf of Wall Street.

Saw Lone Survivor.  The gunfight was some of the most intense warfare sequences I've seen since Saving Private Ryan, but they Hollywooded the SHIT out of that story.  I read the book.  Pashtun tribesmen did not get in a shootout with Taliban.  Luttrell did not come close to having his head cut off.  And he didn't witness the helicopter crash.  

Everything else was painfully true to life.  Worth a look.

That's the thing, I felt like I was watching a TV show on Fox or some shit. The one thing that made RoboCop a great 80's movie, was the gore, and violence in it. This was taken out of it completely and you were left feeling like you just watched a TV show. FX and NBC have shown more graphic content than this thing had in it.

Okay, I watched a lot of TV and saw a movie this weekend.

The movie: I thought the Lego Movie was down-right hilarious and was easily the best movie I’ve seen all year.  “Spaceship!? Shaceship!? Spaceship!!!!â€

The show:  Some of you have been raving about True Detective enough to the point where I had to check this show out.  It turns out you guys weren’t kidding, this show friggin rocks.  I didn’t think it was possible to like a Matthew Mcconaughey character this much.   The wife and I finished episode 5 last night, which makes us full blown addicts.  I can’t wait to see where this show goes.

I didn't catch last night's episode yet, but good to hear you enjoyed it. The first episode was a bit hard to follow because you weren't sure what was happening, and you didnt know if this was going to be another one of those "The Killing" shows. By the 3rd episode you knew you had found a gem of a teevee show. 

HBO time and again proves they know what the f*** they're doing when it comes to creating television.

I didn't catch last night's episode yet, but good to hear you enjoyed it. The first episode was a bit hard to follow because you weren't sure what was happening, and you didnt know if this was going to be another one of those "The Killing" shows. By the 3rd episode you knew you had found a gem of a teevee show.

HBO time and again proves they know what the f*** they're doing when it comes to creating television.

Yep. Thank god for HBO.

Also, completely agree about episode 3, episode 5 was another reminder as to how awesome the show is and how potentially crazy and fun it can become.

I love how there aren't any traditional good guys and that the protagonists are extremely flawed individuals themselves, just a great show.

Okay, I watched a lot of TV and saw a movie this weekend.

The movie: I thought the Lego Movie was down-right hilarious and was easily the best movie I’ve seen all year.  “Spaceship!? Shaceship!? Spaceship!!!!â€

The show:  Some of you have been raving about True Detective enough to the point where I had to check this show out.  It turns out you guys weren’t kidding, this show friggin rocks.  I didn’t think it was possible to like a Matthew Mcconaughey character this much.   The wife and I finished episode 5 last night, which makes us full blown addicts.  I can’t wait to see where this show goes.

Damn straight.  Never doubt us again!

Saw "Nebraska".

Ummmm....can someone tell me which movie I SHOULD'VE rented?  I was under the impression this was an incredibly well-written masterpiece.  What I saw on screen was a ripoff of dozens of other road-trip movies / father-son reconciliation tales.  Just put in black and white as a gimmick.

Best Picture?  Surely you jest.

I rented "The Counselor" last night -- Cameron Diaz looked phenomenal, but the whole thing was a mess and ended up falling asleep during it. Wait for it on Starz.

She's too old to be fucking cars.

Not too old to fuck me, though.  Cameron, if you're reading this, PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived