Larry Scott is gone

Mano

Just when you thought today couldn't get any better:

https://pac-12.com/article/2021/01/20/pac-12-conference-announces-commissioner-larry-scott-conclude-term-commissioner

SAN FRANCISCO (Jan. 20, 2021) – The Pac-12 Conference announced today that following ongoing discussions between its governing executive committee, its presidents and Commissioner Larry Scott, it was mutually agreed that the Commissioner would not seek a new contract. The decision was made well in advance of next year’s contract expiration, in part, to allow a new commissioner to be in place to negotiate and maximize the Conference’s next important long-term media rights agreement.

The Conference and Scott decided it was time for new leadership after his 11-year tenure. Scott’s existing contract is scheduled to expire in June 2022 and it was agreed he will remain in the role until June 30, 2021 to assist in the transition.

The Pac-12 executive committee, including University of Oregon President Michael Schill as chair; Kirk H. Schulz, Washington State University president; and Ana Mari Cauce, president of the University of Washington, will immediately commence a national search for Scott’s replacement as commissioner.

“We appreciate Larry’s pioneering efforts in growing the conference by adding new competitive university programs and accelerating the Pac-12 to television network parity with the other conferences,” said Schill. “At one point, our television agreement was the most lucrative in the nation and the debut of the Pac-12 Network helped deliver our championship brand to US and global markets on traditional and digital platforms. That said, the intercollegiate athletics marketplace doesn’t remain static and now is a good time to bring in a new leader who will help us develop our go-forward strategy.”

52 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

We are all assuming it (PAC 12 Football) can't get any worse.  Can it?

Knock on wood.  If I've learned anything over recent times, it's don't trust the feeling things can't get any worse.  

I wonder who could be potential targets.  Maybe someone from a conference that has actually, you know, implemented a profitable conference network, possibly understands college athletics and money?

Going forward, I think the P12N will be shut down at the end of this June and each school would be free to score their own third tier deals.  Every school should get at least double of what they were getting with the P12N.  If the money isn't there, it's basically the advertising budget from the school budget.

15 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Going forward, I think the P12N will be shut down at the end of this June and each school would be free to score their own third tier deals.  Every school should get at least double of what they were getting with the P12N.  If the money isn't there, it's basically the advertising budget from the school budget.

lol, no.

Restructured, sure, but it's not going to be purged all of a sudden.

We need a media-manager running the show, not an academic, not an athletic director, and definitely not a politician.  We need to cut obscene costs, and cut a couple of great media deals.  The contract timing is right in our face.  We also need to forge some working partnerships with other conferences (the B1G and maybe Big XII) for some common media and competition cross-over.  And we need to do a lot of image-polishing for a conference that is in danger of looking up at the AAC rather than down on the ACC.

if the conference had won a couple of national football/basketball titles, does Larry lose his job?

I understand the frustration with the P12 networks and some of the decisions Larry made. I'm on board with him stepping down (its time to try something new) but I see Larry as item #3 on a list of important ills facing the PAC12

7 hours ago, Orange said:

lol, no.

Restructured, sure, but it's not going to be purged all of a sudden.

Perhaps if the P12 can find someone to take their lease at the P12 HQ plus buy the P12N assets, it's possible that the P12N can be purged and ESPN steps in to run the P12N which would mean the P12N is as widely distributed as the other ESPN backed channels such as the ACC, SEC, and LHN and that means the non football and basketball sports would be on ESPN+ for example.  Sounds great in theory but getting all of that stuff done by July 1st could be wishful thinking on my part.

At least CBS has extra inventory thanks to that new SEC deal with ESPN and it might not be long before NBC needs some college football content if Norte Dame comes to the realization that it's better off for them to be an ACC member.  It seems like Apple and Amazon aren't interested and that might have pushed Larry Scott to ask for an out in this case.

6 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

1) The commissioner can’t fix inferior geography.

2) third-tier deals aren’t gonna move the $$$ needle

3) The commissioner can't fix the overall apathy from the administrators of the conference's schools.  I think that is the number one issue in this conference and affects everything else.

4) How much money did USC leave on the table to be on the P12N given the nice media deals that the Dodgers and Lakers have gotten?  That would be a reason why USC hired Mike Bohn as the AD which is to pound USC's fist on the table when it comes to the next Grant of Rights deal.  Before that, he was hired to get Cincy out of the AAC which hasn't happened so far.

if the school administrators don’t prioritize athletics, that’s their prerogative and it’s the ADs and fans that may need the attitude adjustment.

But even with full buy-in, the Pac-12 can’t generate the same Tv cash as the SEC and Big 10 — it’s just the way it is and the new commissioner needs to plan how to compete anyhow.

I have no idea why you choose USC as the example to talk about conference tier-3 rights.   The LA schools are the outliers.   USC and UCLA have both left money on the table in order to agree to an equal revenue split.   With new ADs and a new commish, we’ll see if they continue to do so.

16 hours ago, Nakedmolerat said:

Tom Holmoe tried on the sneak to convert me to Mormon while recruiting me to Cal when he was the head coach. 

So fucking gross.

Coulda been worse, I guess.  You could've been recruited by Tommy Tuberville.

Archived