Texas and Oklahoma leaving Big 12?

DenverUte13

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/24/2021 at 8:40 PM, DenverUte13 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-oklahoma-expected-to-declare-intent-to-leave-big-12-in-24-48-hours-with-sec-as-landing-spot/

If this Happens, we should try to poach OK State, and TTU as well as adding Houston and possibly Kansas, IMO.

Oh yeah, that'll help a lot.  The nation's TV screens will be glued to Stillwater and Lubbock.  The cash will pile up in the Pac-12 offices.  Yeah.

On 7/24/2021 at 8:43 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Oh yeah, that'll help a lot.  The nation's TV screens will be glued to Stillwater and Lubbock.  The cash will pile up in the Pac-12 offices.  Yeah.

At least we get into new markets, we don't have alot of options. Who would you suggest? BYU, Boise State? At least poaching from Big 12, would weaken, or possibly devolve them and we haven't been setting the world on fire in football lately, maybe that guarantees us a team in the playoffs. 

On 7/25/2021 at 12:09 AM, DenverUte13 said:

At least we get into new markets, we don't have alot of options. Who would you suggest?

Honestly, no one. We need to make some overtures to the B1G. If an affiliation is possible, great. If not, I think a few of us might jump ship. The long term future of the Pac-12, at least as we’ve known it, is probably not rosy.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:40 PM, DenverUte13 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-oklahoma-expected-to-declare-intent-to-leave-big-12-in-24-48-hours-with-sec-as-landing-spot/

If this Happens, we should try to poach OK State, and TTU as well as adding Houston and possibly Kansas, IMO.

This makes no sense unless you drop two dogs like Oregon State and Washington State. 

On 7/25/2021 at 11:00 AM, glduck said:

Honestly, no one. We need to make some overtures to the B1G. If an affiliation is possible, great. If not, I think a few of us might jump ship. The long term future of the Pac-12, at least as we’ve known it, is probably not rosy.

Define affiliation.

Wilner is reporting that ESPN is pushing to create 1 or 2 super conferences. It has to do with money and competitiveness. I see USC, Oregon and possibly UCLA receiving an offer invite. 

My thoughts on how the “elite” see football based on tiers. (My opinion only)

Top Tier; Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Oregon, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, LSU

Next tier; UCLA, Washington, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Miami, Virginia Tech,  Auburn, South Carolina, Michigan State

Next Tier; Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, Maryland, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Colorado, Arizona, ASU, Stanford, Utah, Cal, North Carolina, NC State, Boston College, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Virginia, Duke, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Missouri, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Washinton State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, West Virginia,  Iowa State, Kansas, TCU, BYU, Oregon State

My hope is that our league gets their crap together on the corporate, television side while our teams become more competitive. I don’t see any Big 12 teams all that attractive  to our league  

I think the Hail Mary for the Pac12 would be to go to 16 with 4 new teams from among Texas AM (have to try), TCU, OK State, TTech, Houston, Baylor, Kansas, KState.

The key would be creating two divisions. The West would be comprised of the original Pac 8 (preserves tradition, history, CA schools together, academically similar schools). The East is geographically contiguous, opens up Texas for recruiting and viewership, and is wide open in terms of a dominant school. That would be a fun conference, IMO.

I find the most interesting question is which Pac12 teams would the B1G target, over what dregs of the Big12 the Pac12 would want.

Obviously USC is the linchpin on a B1G raid of the Pac.  USC, UCLA, UW, Stanford, Oregon and then Colorado? ASU? Cal? 

Adding LA, The Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, and Phoenix or Denver is clearly a market slam dunk.  Adding USC, Oregon, and Washington is also a branding slam dunk.

I have to think that's insurmountably better than anything else they could pull off, unless they can destroy the ACC.

On 7/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, duckfandan said:

I find the most interesting question is which Pac12 teams would the B1G target, over what dregs of the Big12 the Pac12 would want.

Obviously USC is the linchpin on a B1G raid of the Pac.  USC, UCLA, UW, Stanford, Oregon and then Colorado? ASU? Cal? 

Adding LA, The Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, and Phoenix or Denver is clearly a market slam dunk.  Adding USC, Oregon, and Washington is also a branding slam dunk.

I have to think that's insurmountably better than anything else they could pull off, unless they can destroy the ACC.

I guess if we (selected Pac schools) had a choice between becoming a West division of the Big 10, or adding a new East division for the existing conference ... I think there are pros and cons for the two strategies: 

• Joining the BIG: better branding; better existing tv exposure; better tv revenue now and likely going forward; competes with the SEC on paper; worse travel; would break up the existing Pac12 and lose some schools; unclear how divisions could be created logically
  • Adding a Pac12 East: keep all Pac12 schools in the fold; retain history and tradition; improve access to recruiting hotbed in TX; no immediate bump in revenue?; would not compete with the SEC on paper

On 7/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, duckfandan said:

In terms of targeting it IMO seems likely it would follow something like

Tier 1: California, Stanford, UCLA & USC 

Tier 2: Oregon & Washington 

Tier 3: Arizona, Colorado & Utah

Tier 4: ASU

Tier 5: Oregon St & Washington St

On 7/25/2021 at 11:11 AM, Pac12Fan said:

This makes no sense unless you drop two dogs like Oregon State and Washington State. 

Why would dropping two legacy west coast programs in favor of dirtpatch programs in Texas make any sense?

CU is definitely on the bubble in this case.

But not all is lost.  My favorite memories of CU were from its days in the Big 8 when TV didn't matter.  That remains true even to this day.  Just look at the Sun Belt...they are better in football than the C-USA which is more driven by population numbers.  FCS football this spring showed me that you can get game of the week matchups and watch solid football.  I'm going to dip my toes in the D2 football pool this fall and see some good D2 football games.

Archived