Texas and Oklahoma leaving Big 12?

DenverUte13

On 7/26/2021 at 2:26 PM, mysfit said:

CFB is headed to 4 mega conferences. The B12 will cease to exist as the other 4 pick over the bones.

Bad news for those left out and the BCS. 

Let the mad scramble begin.

There really aren't any bones to pick over though.  Take Oklahoma and Texas out of the equation and the remaining schools in the B12 don't add enough value for anyone to add.  The SEC and B1G already make more than the remaining B12 can provide, the ACC is playing the waiting game with Notre Dame and the P12 maybe you can break even but then you deal with schools giving up playing in California for playing in Iowa or Kansas or Eastern New Mexico Lubbock

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/26/2021 at 2:26 PM, mysfit said:

CFB is headed to 4 mega conferences. The B12 will cease to exist as the other 4 pick over the bones.

Bad news for those left out and the BCS. 

Let the mad scramble begin.

I think it’s quite generous to call the ACC and Pac12 mega conferences once all the dust settles.  There will only be one or two conferences of note. 

On 7/26/2021 at 3:07 PM, Mano said:

Is forming a partnership or merging with the B1G the only play that would increase the PAC's revenue at this point, or does anyone think there are any schools out there willing to come that would add?

There are a few out of left field ideas where some obtainable schools could add value to the Pac-12.

1. The Pac-12 convinces Notre Dame and/or some ACC schools that the west is best.

2. The power conferences Deep 6 the NCAA and take control of the basketball tournament which would skyrocket the value of basketball centric schools

3.  Changing the rules to allow a conference to put together a semi final round to their football conference championship game.

Aside from that we've reached the point where the options are status quo, an alliance with the B1G or to become the target of the B1G.

On 7/26/2021 at 11:03 AM, KUGRDON said:

$

I think someone mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again: Is all that Lubbock and Stillwater money worth it?

Funny how even love of Wazzu can't bring you to disagree with the board fascist.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:25 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

OU/Texas to the SEC.

USC/UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon and UW to the Big 10

ASU and Arizona to the Big 12.

Oregon State, Washington State and Utah to the MWC with their athletic peers.

Boise State can be a 3A level high school competitor, then.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:25 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

OU/Texas to the SEC.

USC/UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon and UW to the Big 10

ASU and Arizona to the Big 12.

Oregon State, Washington State and Utah to the MWC with their athletic peers.

I assume the 6 in the Pac left behind would hold onto the name and invite who they want; or if they end up scattering a chunk bigger than the Arizona schools end up in the Big12. 

On 7/26/2021 at 5:01 PM, Orange said:

I think someone mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again: Is all that Lubbock and Stillwater money worth it?

Funny how even love of Wazzu can't bring you to disagree with the board fascist.

It’s hard for many people to comprehend why those two schools still matter.  Both are about 3 1/2 to 4 hours away from DFW.  When I drove through the Texas panhandle to go to a funeral, I noticed more muscle cars with Texas plates especially Dodge Challengers & Chargers.  It amazes me how smooth my 2017 Jeep Cherokee (under the same Fiat roof as Dodge) can drive even at 85-90 MPH.

You can even drive that fast on I-35 from DFW to OKC.

People from those states are conditioned for long drives.

On 7/26/2021 at 4:01 PM, Orange said:

You act like there is some nobility to maintaining WSU or OSU in the PAC.  It was business when they came in and it will be business when they’re dropped.  WSU is gonna get crushed by NIL and the inevitable other pay for play evolutions that are coming.  SEC is the boss and everybody has to adjust.  We’re gonna be playing Montana.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:01 PM, Orange said:

Boise State can be a 3A level high school competitor, then.

Let's be real.  Oregon State and WSU have more in common with Wyoming and UNM than the rest of the Pac 12.  Only a matter of time before the conference figures out a creative way of giving them the boot.

On 7/26/2021 at 12:00 PM, Orange said:

Why would dropping two legacy west coast programs in favor of dirtpatch programs in Texas make any sense?

Money. Unfortunately it is money that will determine the fate of more than half the programs.

With that said, San Diego State, BYU, Oklahoma State are more appealing to the networks than OSU or WSU. 

On 7/26/2021 at 4:47 PM, Jalapeno said:

It’s hard for many people to comprehend why those two schools still matter.  Both are about 3 1/2 to 4 hours away from DFW.  When I drove through the Texas panhandle to go to a funeral, I noticed more muscle cars with Texas plates especially Dodge Challengers & Chargers.  It amazes me how smooth my 2017 Jeep Cherokee (under the same Fiat roof as Dodge) can drive even at 85-90 MPH.

You can even drive that fast on I-35 from DFW to OKC.

People from those states are conditioned for long drives.

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Archived