Texas and Oklahoma leaving Big 12?

DenverUte13

On 8/11/2021 at 4:41 PM, Quack 12 said:

If the SEC goes to a nine-game conference schedule they're going to be in the same boat as the Pac-12, wherein they beat each other up/drag each other down during the regular season. The Pac-12 needs to add punching bags - at least for a few years - to pad their rankings.  

The majority of the PAC-12 loads their OOC schedules with punching bags.  Roughly 8-9 FCS opponents each year, 8-10 G5 opponents every year, and at least four teams will play BYU as their P5 OOC opponent (even though BYU's schedule does not reflect a P5 caliber program).  And the majority of the other P5 opponents are middle of the pack teams from other conferences.  Most of the PAC12's OOC schedule are "punching bags".

Ironically, most teams from other conferences schedule PAC12 OOC opponents, for one of their punching bags.

As for the SEC - the 9-game conference schedule, followed by semifinal, and then the conference championship, will only make the SEC teams' resumes stronger.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/9/2021 at 5:25 PM, Orange said:

Are you trying to be parody account or something?  like your best impersonation of a Maga/SEC troll?  The Pac 12 indeed has 12 teams.

My mistake.  I was thinking of the Big12, who only has (had) 10 schools.

On 9/9/2021 at 5:25 PM, Orange said:

like your best impersonation of a Maga/SEC troll? 

So ..... If I'm a Trump fan, and a MAGA supporter, that makes me a troll on a thread about sports?  Yet your anti-Trump and your anti-MAGA rhetoric on a sports thread is not being a troll?

On 9/10/2021 at 11:04 AM, HLB said:

The majority of the PAC-12 loads their OOC schedules with punching bags.  Roughly 8-9 FCS opponents each year, 8-10 G5 opponents every year, and at least four teams will play BYU as their P5 OOC opponent (even though BYU's schedule does not reflect a P5 caliber program).  And the majority of the other P5 opponents are middle of the pack teams from other conferences.  Most of the PAC12's OOC schedule are "punching bags".

Ironically, most teams from other conferences schedule PAC12 OOC opponents, for one of their punching bags.

As for the SEC - the 9-game conference schedule, followed by semifinal, and then the conference championship, will only make the SEC teams' resumes stronger.

If there is any conference that should be quiet when it comes to how they schedule non conference it would be the SEC.  How is it that with 20 extra non conference games available to them that they some how have fewer OOC games scheduled against P5 schools than then P12 does or that they have only 2 more games played on the road (1) or at a neutral site (1)?

You talk about middle of the pack P5 schools the P12 schedules, lets take a look at the SEC "gauntlet"

- Miami, Texas, Louisville, North Carolina St, Colorado (I mean they're P12 do they even count as P5?), Florida St, Georgia Tech, Louisville again, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Stanford (see Colorado) oh and UCLA - someone should ask LSU if they count as a punching bag.  Georgia & South Carolina deserve credit for playing Clemson and Auburn for playing at Penn St but like most things in SEC SEC SEC land its a group of schools doing nothing that try to live vicariously through what 1 or 2 other schools are doing.

On 9/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, clpp01 said:

If there is any conference that should be quiet when it comes to how they schedule non conference it would be the SEC.  How is it that with 20 extra non conference games available to them that they some how have fewer OOC games scheduled against P5 schools than then P12 does or that they have only 2 more games played on the road (1) or at a neutral site (1)?

You talk about middle of the pack P5 schools the P12 schedules, lets take a look at the SEC "gauntlet"

- Miami, Texas, Louisville, North Carolina St, Colorado (I mean they're P12 do they even count as P5?), Florida St, Georgia Tech, Louisville again, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Stanford (see Colorado) oh and UCLA - someone should ask LSU if they count as a punching bag.  Georgia & South Carolina deserve credit for playing Clemson and Auburn for playing at Penn St but like most things in SEC SEC SEC land its a group of schools doing nothing that try to live vicariously through what 1 or 2 other schools are doing.

Live vicariously through what 1 or 2 other schools are doing?  You mean like the PAC12 living through Oregon?  Or the Big Ten living through Ohio State?  Or the ACC living through Clemson?  Or the Big12 living through Oklahoma?  Or the way the PAC12 is living off of a once-in-forty years win by UCLA; or a once in the history of CFB for Oregon over Ohio State?

Since 2008, the SEC has had NC in Florida (twice), LSU and Auburn, in addition to Alabama.  LSU and Auburn also played in two other NC games, while UGA has played in one.  Auburn has beaten BAMA in 3 of the last seven meetings.  There are more teams than just BAMA, in the SEC, you just choose to ignore them.

And when did UCLA suddenly become a power?  This year?  The jury is still out on this year.  Don't make it sound like UCLA as been an annual power, because of one game, when they've been completely irrelevant for 40 years. LSU is not a strong team this season, and they will probably lose 4-5 games.

All that being said, the "punching bag" comment was from someone else that I was quoting.  The "punching bag" opponents that the Pac-12 routinely play are the same annual West Coast FCS opponents, and MWC G5 opponents - as well as BYU, four or five times per year.

Look beyond this season.  Look at history.  Look at the last 10-plus years.  SEC teams have played more ranked OOC opponents than any other conference - by far.  The PAC12 plays roughly 30 OOC opponents.  Roughly 28% of those OOC opponents are FCS programs (highest percentage of all conferences).  They also lose to more FCS and G5 opponents than any other conference.  The primary savior of PAC12's OOC play is the annual game between USC and ND, or Stanford and ND.

The PAC12 isn't scheduling a gauntlet of OOC opponents, as you would imply.  Ohio State will lose once or twice more, because their defense (particularly the run defense) is not very good.  LSU is not going to beat BAMA, Florida, TXA&M, Auburn, or maybe even Arkansas and/or Ole Miss.  Time will tell just how big (or small) that UCLA win will be.  And it doesn't matter if a PAC12 team like Washington schedules Michigan, when they can't beat Montana and Arkansas State.

How about these PAC12 losses, so far this year:  Utah State, Montana, Michigan, BYU (twice), SDSU, TCU, TXA&M, Nevada, Purdue, Kansas State .... Has the SEC lost that many games to OOC opponents, particularly when stepping down a division or two?  In all probability, the PAC12 will lose twice to ND, one more time to BYU, perhaps one more time to SDSU, possibly to Fresno State, I predict Arkansas State, and maybe even Vanderbilt (one of the worst programs in CFB history).  Compare those losses to that of the SEC:  Pitt, UCLA, and ETSU.

But the point I was trying to make is that the fact that the PAC12 tends to lose so many of their OOC games - even when they play down a level or two - is what hurts the PAC12's CFP chances.

You can bark about who the SEC schedules, but at least they are beating the majority of their opponents - something the PAC12 can't say.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:12 AM, HLB said:

So ..... If I'm a Trump fan, and a MAGA supporter, that makes me a troll on a thread about sports?  Yet your anti-Trump and your anti-MAGA rhetoric on a sports thread is not being a troll?

Correct.  Every MAGA head is a complete dipshit, and thus a troll.

This is accepted fact in every rational mind.

On 9/12/2021 at 4:53 AM, HLB said:

Live vicariously through what 1 or 2 other schools are doing? 

No, by chanting SEC! SEC! SEC!

There are more teams than just BAMA, in the SEC, you just choose to ignore them.

So five then, and nine stiffs?

a once in the history of CFB for Oregon over Ohio State?

It's a ten-game series that started in 1958, with only three meetings in the past 35 years. It hardly spans the history of college football.

the same annual West Coast FCS opponents

Stony Brook says Mercer covered!

SEC teams have played more ranked OOC opponents than any other conference - by far. 

I doubt this, but I'd have to do the legwork to find out. I think you don't know this to be true either.

And it doesn't matter if a PAC12 team like Washington schedules Michigan, when they can't beat Montana and Arkansas State.

This totally contradicts the previously quoted statement.

All that being said, the "punching bag" comment was from someone else that I was quoting.  The "punching bag" opponents that the Pac-12 routinely play are the same annual West Coast FCS opponents, and MWC G5 opponents - as well as BYU, four or five times per year.

How many fucking punching bags does the SEC have?  McNeese, Mercer, SE Missouri?  And that's just this year, and that's just the Ms!

On 9/13/2021 at 12:58 PM, Orange said:

Correct.  Every MAGA head is a complete dipshit, and thus a troll.

This is accepted fact in every rational mind.

You keep showing your ignorance.

I suppose you're proud of the current administration.  Could you please explain to me 'why'?

On 9/13/2021 at 1:14 PM, Quack 12 said:

No, by chanting SEC! SEC! SEC!

So five then, and nine stiffs?

It's a ten-game series that started in 1958, with only three meetings in the past 35 years. It hardly spans the history of college football.

Stony Brook says Mercer covered!

I doubt this, but I'd have to do the legwork to find out. I think you don't know this to be true either.

This totally contradicts the previously quoted statement.

1.  SEC fans are proud of their conference because it's the best conference with the best teams and the strongest competition.  There's a reason why all of the other conferences are trying to be like the SEC.  And there's nothing like attending SEC games.  Every week is a war, and unlike we saw in the USC-Stanford game, the stadiums are packed and rocking.

2.  Rank the Top-12 PAC12 teams, against the Top 12-SEC teams, and you will find out which conference has the most "stiffs".

3.  What I meant to say was that it was Oregon's "first win" over Ohio State, in the history of college football.  I know it's not the first time they've ever played.

4.  BAMA (and Saban), never humiliate their opponents.  They could have score 100 points on Mercer, but they chose not to.  They chose to throttle back and play reserves.  They could have put up 60-plus on Miami, but they throttled back.  This week they play Florida.  I don't expect that game to get out of hand early - for several reasons.  If it does, you can expect Saban and BAMA to throttle back, at some point in the second half.

5.  I've done the leg-work, (several years ago) and it followed it in recent years, too.  Overall, the SEC plays more ranked OOC opponents than any other conference.

6.  The PAC12's top OOC opponents this year (and I'm going off the top of my head):  Ohio State, Michigan, Minnesota, LSU, TXA&M, TCU, K-State, Vanderbilt, Purdue and Notre Dame twice.  I'll go ahead and throw in BYU four times, even though I don't consider BYU a P5 program.  In those games (and I'll go in the order that I presented them) .... Won, Lost, plays this weekend, Won, Lost, Lost, plays this weekend, Lost, Lost, will lose twice to ND, and thus far, twice to BYU .... A great game by Colorado (against TXA&M team that I believe was overrated and over hyped since the first of the year); a good win for Oregon, although I expect tOSU to lose two more, which would take the spark out of that win; a good win for UCLA, although I expect LSU to uncharacteristically have a 6-loss season (won't beat BAMA, Florida, Auburn, Ole Miss, TXA&M, and maybe Arkansas), so that win won't seem as strong as the season plays out.  When the season's over, the number of teams that are ranked at season's end will be TXA&M, Ohio State, ND, and maybe Michigan.

It's one thing to schedule these games.  It's another thing to win them.  And the SEC - most of the time - wins more of these games than other conferences.

Live vicariously through what 1 or 2 other schools are doing?  You mean like the PAC12 living through Oregon?  Or the Big Ten living through Ohio State?  Or the ACC living through Clemson?  Or the Big12 living through Oklahoma?  Or the way the PAC12 is living off of a once-in-forty years win by UCLA; or a once in the history of CFB for Oregon over Ohio State.

Some one beat me to it but none of us are anywhere near the level of S-E-C   S-E-C   S-E-C. When Alabama loses a national champion game the their fans are ready to riot like it is Jan 6th and the SEC fanbases are in the feels like they just lost the civil war again.

Going through schedules and you will see that Western Carolina ends up on Alabama's schedule most often then nearly half of the SEC does same for Samford/Auburn, Northwestern State/LSU, Prairie View A&M/TAMU, Charleston Southern/Georgia etc....

Look beyond this season.  Look at history.  Look at the last 10-plus years.  SEC teams have played more ranked OOC opponents than any other conference - by far.  The PAC12 plays roughly 30 OOC opponents.  Roughly 28% of those OOC opponents are FCS programs (highest percentage of all conferences).  They also lose to more FCS and G5 opponents than any other conference.  The primary savior of PAC12's OOC play is the annual game between USC and ND, or Stanford and ND.

So I did take a look beyond this season,  and looked at the last 10 years.  From 2011-2021.  In this time span the SEC will have (counting OOC games not yet played this season) played 191 more non-conference games than the Pac-12 has.  What the SEC has done with those additional 191 games is the following.

- 6 more games vs P5 programs (using the SEC's own list of approved P5 opponents) than the P12 has.  The Pac-12 catches the SEC in total P5 games played with just 1 season of their 9th conference  game.

- 130 more games against the G5 (and for the record the vast majority of these are not the Boise St, UCF, Cincinnati's of the world.)

- 55 more games against FCS schools

- 197 more home games 

- 23 fewer road games  including 14 fewer against P5 schools.  SEC schools like to hide from the road by playing neutral site games that just happen to be located well with inside the SEC footprint.  Bama hasn't played a road game since 2011,  Florida is still suffering PTSD from a loss to Syracuse back in the stone age and has only left the state once and that was a "neutral site" game against Michigan in Dallas, Tennessee doesn't know the world even exists outside Neyland.

I'll fall back to my 1 or 2 schools (well 3 here) that carry the load for everyone.  LSU deserves credit for willing to travel to California to Wisconin, West Virginia, New York, etc.. Auburn and Georgia deserve credit for playing Clemson and while those 3 schools might be closer in proximity to each other than my front door is to my mail box at least they are putting the clear 2nd best program of the decade on the schedules consistently which sadly is more than I can say for a particular school that I pay attention to.

- One area the SEC gets full credit for is that they have played 18 more games in the same time span against EOY ranked schools, though I will say Notre Dame isn't quite the benefactor for the P12 that Clemson has been for the SEC as they by themselves account for the difference between the 2 conferences.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:39 PM, clpp01 said:

Some one beat me to it but none of us are anywhere near the level of S-E-C   S-E-C   S-E-C. When Alabama loses a national champion game the their fans are ready to riot like it is Jan 6th and the SEC fanbases are in the feels like they just lost the civil war again.

WOW!  I lived in Birmingham, Alabama for 19 years and I've NEVER seen BAMA fans behave as you just described.  You simply don't know what you're talking about.

Going through schedules and you will see that Western Carolina ends up on Alabama's schedule most often then nearly half of the SEC does same for Samford/Auburn, Northwestern State/LSU, Prairie View A&M/TAMU, Charleston Southern/Georgia etc....

BAMA has played W. Carolina three times in the last 25 years.  I went to Samford, with Jimbo Fisher.  Auburn has played Samford "once".  Samford's AD is a good friend who also went to Samford.  Samford didn't start playing P5 teams until recent years.  Because those games pay for the entire athletic budget.  So you're statement is incorrect.  TAMU joined the SEC in 2012.  This year marks the second time they will have played Prairie View since joining the SEC.  LSU last played Northwestern State in 2011, and have played them twice in the last 23 years.  Georgia plays Charleston Southern, this year, for the second time in school history.  Georgia also plays two P5 OOC opponents every year.  That being said, every SEC team plays one FCS opponent, every year.  With 64 OOC games played by SEC teams, 21.8% of their OOC games are against FCS opponents.  Comparatively, the PAC12's twelve teams play 9 FCS opponents this year, which is 25% of their 36 OOC games played.  They recirculate Cal-Poly, Portland State, Sacramento State, Idaho State, Northern AZ, E. Washington, to name a few.  But in fairness, it's because their just aren't that many programs in their footprint to choose from.

So I did take a look beyond this season,  and looked at the last 10 years.  From 2011-2021.  In this time span the SEC will have (counting OOC games not yet played this season) played 191 more non-conference games than the Pac-12 has.  What the SEC has done with those additional 191 games is the following.

- 6 more games vs P5 programs (using the SEC's own list of approved P5 opponents) than the P12 has.  The Pac-12 catches the SEC in total P5 games played with just 1 season of their 9th conference  game.

- 130 more games against the G5 (and for the record the vast majority of these are not the Boise St, UCF, Cincinnati's of the world.)

- 55 more games against FCS schools

- 197 more home games 

- 23 fewer road games  including 14 fewer against P5 schools.  SEC schools like to hide from the road by playing neutral site games that just happen to be located well with inside the SEC footprint.  Bama hasn't played a road game since 2011,  Florida is still suffering PTSD from a loss to Syracuse back in the stone age and has only left the state once and that was a "neutral site" game against Michigan in Dallas, Tennessee doesn't know the world even exists outside Neyland.

I'll fall back to my 1 or 2 schools (well 3 here) that carry the load for everyone.  LSU deserves credit for willing to travel to California to Wisconin, West Virginia, New York, etc.. Auburn and Georgia deserve credit for playing Clemson and while those 3 schools might be closer in proximity to each other than my front door is to my mail box at least they are putting the clear 2nd best program of the decade on the schedules consistently which sadly is more than I can say for a particular school that I pay attention to.

- One area the SEC gets full credit for is that they have played 18 more games in the same time span against EOY ranked schools, though I will say Notre Dame isn't quite the benefactor for the P12 that Clemson has been for the SEC as they by themselves account for the difference between the 2 conferences.

SEC has more teams, therefore they play more FCS opponents.  However, they play a lower percentage of FCS OOC opponents, than the PAC12, in the total number of OOC opponents faced.

Since 2008, Tennessee has had 4 neutral site games, and played on the road at UCLA, Oregon and Oklahoma.  That leaves six times that they've played an P5 OOC opponent on their home field (three of which were UCLA, Oregon and Oklahoma).

I don't even know what you mean by the SEC's "approved list of P5 opponents", because they only consider teams from other P5 conferences and ND, as P5 opponents.

Every year, each SEC team plays at least one P5 OOC opponent.  The same cannot be said for the PAC12.  In most years, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina play two.  Some years, LSU and Florida play two.  In the PAC12, not everyone plays a P5 opponent.  A lot of years, multiple teams play BYU, and try to count them as a P5 OOC opponent, when in fact BYU rarely plays more than six P5 opponents in a given year - which doesn't make them a P5 opponent, in my opinion.  Overall, SEC teams annually play 9 P5 opponents, and for some teams, 10.

There are more teams in the SEC footprint, so there are more teams to select from.  Meanwhile, the majority of the G5 OOC opponents commonly played by the PAC12 are not the UCF's, Cincy's and Boise States of the world.  It's a steady diet of SDSU, San Jose State, Hawaii, Fresno State, UNLV and Nevada (to name a few).  Again, it's not the PAC12's fault, because they don't have a lot of programs to choose from, that are west of Colorado.

SEC teams do not go to cities such as Charlotte, Atlanta and Dallas, and say:  "We want to rent your stadium to play a neutral site game".  Neutral site games are set up by committees in those cities, much like bowl game committees select teams for their games.  The reason SEC teams agree to these games is because all of the duties, planning and cost of hosting a game (roughly $1M for one home game) falls on someone else.  The travel is paid for, as are the hotels, and meals.  For the teams, they just show up, play a game, and collect a fat check.  And in order to play these games, other schools have to accept an invitation, too.  USC and Washington are two PAC12 teams that come to mind, as having played in these games, vs. SEC opponents.

The argument that the SEC is successful because they don't play as many conference games is nothing more than a myth.

Why do you think that the PAC12 plays 9 conference games?  It's not because they're trying to be "manly".

For the PAC12 to play four OOC games, that means they have to travel across country, because all of the other P5 teams are East of Colorado.  The PAC12 offices decided (a) that it was not financially wise to travel across country, every year; (b) that players were sleep deprived because of time changes when traveling across country; and (c) sleep deprivation impacts academics.  The solution?  Add a 9th conference game, so that schools don't travel across country every year, but about every third year (other than SC and Stanford who regularly play ND).  The decision to play 9 conference games is a business decision, not a "we're going to be more manly" decision.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:42 PM, HLB said:

WOW!  I lived in Birmingham, Alabama for 19 years and I've NEVER seen BAMA fans behave as you just described.  You simply don't know what you're talking about

I mean you have an Alabama fan who killed 2 trees just because they were sacred to Auburn fans, another Alabama fan who sexually assaulted a passed out drunk LSU fan in front of group of people while it was being filmed. Death threats to coaches, players, referees. One just has to take quick little tour through social media or listen to an SEC slanted show like Finebaum's to see it.

BAMA has played W. Carolina three times in the last 25 years.  I went to Samford, with Jimbo Fisher.  Auburn has played Samford "once".  Samford's AD is a good friend who also went to Samford.  Samford didn't start playing P5 teams until recent years.  Because those games pay for the entire athletic budget.  So you're statement is incorrect.  TAMU joined the SEC in 2012.  This year marks the second time they will have played Prairie View since joining the SEC.  LSU last played Northwestern State in 2011, and have played them twice in the last 23 years.  Georgia plays Charleston Southern, this year, for the second time in school history.  Georgia also plays two P5 OOC opponents every year.  That being said, every SEC team plays one FCS opponent, every year.  With 64 OOC games played by SEC teams, 21.8% of their OOC games are against FCS opponents.  Comparatively, the PAC12's twelve teams play 9 FCS opponents this year, which is 25% of their 36 OOC games played.  They recirculate Cal-Poly, Portland State, Sacramento State, Idaho State, Northern AZ, E. Washington, to name a few.  But in fairness, it's because their just aren't that many programs in their footprint to choose from.

Western Carolina has played Alabama 5 times since 2004 (04, 07, 12, 14 & 19) and since the SEC expanded to 12 thus increasing the duration between playing in cross division schools Alabama has played Western Carolina 3 times and has played Florida as one of the conference scheduled games twice including the game this coming weekend.

Samford has played Auburn 3 times since 2011 (11, 14 & 19) and again using Florida as a baseline in that same time frame they have played Florida twice.

Prairie View A&M has played Texas A&M twice since joining the SEC, in that same timeframe TAMU has played Georgia only once.

Charleston Southern will have played Georgia twice after they meet this season and as noted above Georgia has only played Texas A&M once since joining the SEC.

Northwestern St has played LSU twice since 2011 which is the same as LSU playing Tennessee and I believe Kentucky only playing once.

As for FCS games UCLA & USC never schedule FCS teams and Stanford rarely does.  Since 2011 those 3, California and all 4 mountain schools have had at least 1 year where they did not schedule an FCS opponent compared to the SEC only 3 times an SEC school didn't play an FCS opponent and 2 of those are questionable, Florida in 2016 would be the clean year and then other would be Texas A&M in 2011 when they were still apart of the B12 and then Florida in 2016 when they scheduled an FCS game but had to cancel because a hurricane forced them to move the LSU game on the schedule into its spot.

In this span the SEC plays FCS games at a higher rate than the P12 does.  The SEC has played 139 FCS games out of 555 OOC spots which is 25.1% of their non conference allotment, the P12 has played 84 FCS games out of 364 OOC slots which is 23.1% of their non conference allotment.

don't even know what you mean by the SEC's "approved list of P5 opponents", because they only consider teams from other P5 conferences and ND, as P5 opponents.

Games against FBS independents BYU, Army and Notre Dame will now count toward the SEC's requirement of playing one nonconference Power 5 team per season, sources told ESPN.com.

Beginning in 2016, the SEC will require its league members to play at least one nonconference Power 5 team. Notre Dame had always been included as a nonconference Power 5 team by the SEC, but the league recently decided to also allow games against BYU and Army to count, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/12514211/sec-count-games-independents-byu-army-notre-dame-power-5-commitment

Mississippi St in 16 & 17 & Tennessee in 2019 OOC had BYU as their P5 rep.

There are more teams in the SEC footprint, so there are more teams to select from.  Meanwhile, the majority of the G5 OOC opponents commonly played by the PAC12 are not the UCF's, Cincy's and Boise States of the world.  It's a steady diet of SDSU, San Jose State, Hawaii, Fresno State, UNLV and Nevada (to name a few).  Again, it's not the PAC12's fault, because they don't have a lot of programs to choose from, that are west of Colorado.

Taking the upper class of the G5 world (Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Houston, Boise St, SDSU, Memphis) basically the B12's expansion list consisting of the best G5's available then the Pac-12 plays roughly 20% of their G5 games against these schools the SEC otoh those top tier G5 schools account for only 5% of the SEC G5 schedules which are heavily slanted towards the bottom feeders of the MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA.

Why do you think that the PAC12 plays 9 conference games?  It's not because they're trying to be "manly".

The reason for 9 conference games has nothing to do with sleep patterns or academics (see willingness to schedule BYU) it is because fans out here simply aren't willing to accept more games against subpar programs.  Don't think I am breaking any spoilers or anything when I say that the fans here are very laid back to be generous, most schools here are competing directly against the NFL and if they try to pull the hey come watch us play Utah State then the fans will be "umm no, think I'll go watch the insert NFL team here" Alabama can sell out a 100k stadium offering a bag game against Western Kentucky and their fans will eat it up simply because its football and in most cases the only source of it.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:17 PM, HLB said:

You keep showing your ignorance.

I suppose you're proud of the current administration.  Could you please explain to me 'why'?

Absolutely.  Take it over to the politics forum and I will. 

PS: Trump had a nice 9/11, spending the day shitting on gold star families and doing commentary for a lazy boxing match.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:42 PM, HLB said:

The PAC12 offices decided (a) that it was not financially wise to travel across country, every year; (b) that players were sleep deprived because of time changes when traveling across country; and (c) sleep deprivation impacts academics.  The solution? 

This is complete hogwash. Please provide a link supporting any of this nonsense. Sleep deprivation? Are you kidding me? Why did the Big XII go to a nine-game conference schedule? Nutritional concerns? WTF?

When the 12-game schedule started in 2006, the Pac-10 went to a nine game conference schedule because it made perfect sense; it was a full round robin schedule.

On 9/14/2021 at 3:14 AM, clpp01 said:

I mean you have an Alabama fan who killed 2 trees just because they were sacred to Auburn fans, another Alabama fan who sexually assaulted a passed out drunk LSU fan in front of group of people while it was being filmed. Death threats to coaches, players, referees. One just has to take quick little tour through social media or listen to an SEC slanted show like Finebaum's to see it.

It was one tree.  The sexual assault was a horrible incident.  Death threats were made to Bill Curry, 30-plus years ago.  Never heard of a death threat to a player or referee.  And Finebaum (who I knew at the B'ham Post Herald) has an SEC slanted show because his show is on the SEC Network, who pays his salary.

That being said, the things you mentioned are a far cry from the embellished comment you made about BAMA fans rioting whenever they lose.  I've been there when they've lost.  They don't riot, as you claim.  And the incidents you mention are isolated incidents, that do not represent the entire body of BAMA (or Auburn) fans.

Western Carolina has played Alabama 5 times since 2004 (04, 07, 12, 14 & 19) and since the SEC expanded to 12 thus increasing the duration between playing in cross division schools Alabama has played Western Carolina 3 times and has played Florida as one of the conference scheduled games twice including the game this coming weekend.

Samford has played Auburn 3 times since 2011 (11, 14 & 19) and again using Florida as a baseline in that same time frame they have played Florida twice.

Prairie View A&M has played Texas A&M twice since joining the SEC, in that same timeframe TAMU has played Georgia only once.

Charleston Southern will have played Georgia twice after they meet this season and as noted above Georgia has only played Texas A&M once since joining the SEC.

Northwestern St has played LSU twice since 2011 which is the same as LSU playing Tennessee and I believe Kentucky only playing once.

As for FCS games UCLA & USC never schedule FCS teams and Stanford rarely does.  Since 2011 those 3, California and all 4 mountain schools have had at least 1 year where they did not schedule an FCS opponent compared to the SEC only 3 times an SEC school didn't play an FCS opponent and 2 of those are questionable, Florida in 2016 would be the clean year and then other would be Texas A&M in 2011 when they were still apart of the B12 and then Florida in 2016 when they scheduled an FCS game but had to cancel because a hurricane forced them to move the LSU game on the schedule into its spot.

In this span the SEC plays FCS games at a higher rate than the P12 does.  The SEC has played 139 FCS games out of 555 OOC spots which is 25.1% of their non conference allotment, the P12 has played 84 FCS games out of 364 OOC slots which is 23.1% of their non conference allotment.

Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and TXA&M make up the West Division.

Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Misouri, South Carolina and Vanderbilt make up the East Division.

A team plays everyone in their division, plus two from the other division, in a given season.  Because of long lasting rivalries, one crossover game remains a constant and annual contest.  The other crossover rotates among the other teams from the other division.

For example.  Auburn will play each of the West Division teams.  Because of a long standing rivalry with Georgia, Auburn plays Georgia every year, as one of their cross over games.  The second cross over opponent is based on an annual rotation of teams from the other division.  That means Auburn will face Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Missouri or South Carolina every five years.

BAMA's regular crossover opponent is Tennessee, because it's been a long standing rivalry game dating back to the 50's.  They play Florida, Kentucky, Vandy, Georgia, South Carolina or Missouri once every five years.

LSU's regular seasonal crossover is Florida.  Mississippi State's regular crossover is Kentucky.  Vandy's regular crossover is Ole Miss.  Arkansas's regular crossover is TXA&M.  Missouri's regular seasonal crossover is South Carolina.

These regular crossover games were established to satisfy the fans who want to see the long-standing rivalry games continue on an annual basis, and not once every 6 years.

This year BAMA will play Tennessee and Florida, as their crossover games.

What this system also allows, is for the top two teams from each division meeting in the SEC Championship game, without having already played one another.  If BAMA gets to the SEC Championship game, as does UGA, then you will see BAMA face UGA.  At the end of the day, the best of each division will ultimately face off, which counters the ideology that they are "skipping" someone, by not playing during the regular season.

As I said before, every SEC teams plays one FCS opponent, every year.  That is exactly 25% of their 56 OOC opponents.  This is done to satisfy the request of those schools who rely on the money from these games to sustain their "entire" athletic department (basketball, tennis, baseball, golf, etc.).

I'm well aware that USC and UCLA never schedule FCS opponents, and that Stanford only does so on an occasional basis.  However, of the 36 OOC games played by the PAC12, nine are against FCS opponents, which accounts for ... 25% of the OOC opponents.

USC and UCLA, however, don't always schedule two P5 OOC opponents.  Georgia, South Carolina and Florida almost always play two P5 OOC opponents.  LSU and Kentucky do occasionally.  Florida hasn't traveled outside the state for P5 opponents very often, because they have been mandated to play FSU (and visa versa), and for many years played Miami, too.  UCF, USF, FAU and FIU are always tugging on their shirts for a matchup - so there's a lot of in-state demands that keep them from being able to step outside of the state, let alone outside the SE U.S.

Beginning in 2025, BAMA will play two P5 OOC opponents, on a regular basis.

Taking the upper class of the G5 world (Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Houston, Boise St, SDSU, Memphis) basically the B12's expansion list consisting of the best G5's available then the Pac-12 plays roughly 20% of their G5 games against these schools the SEC otoh those top tier G5 schools account for only 5% of the SEC G5 schedules which are heavily slanted towards the bottom feeders of the MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA.

SEC plays USF and Memphis, this year.  They have played Boise State (3) and UCF (5 times), since 2010.  The G5 conferences in the PAC12 footprint is the MWC.  In the SEC footprint, there is the American Conference, Conf-USA, and the Sunbelt, with the MAC close by.  That means SEC teams have 50 G5 programs in their footprint, wanting to play SEC teams.  The PAC12 has 12 such teams.  The SEC can't play everyone, every year; nor will they play the same G5 opponents, every year.

The reason for 9 conference games has nothing to do with sleep patterns or academics (see willingness to schedule BYU) it is because fans out here simply aren't willing to accept more games against subpar programs.  Don't think I am breaking any spoilers or anything when I say that the fans here are very laid back to be generous, most schools here are competing directly against the NFL and if they try to pull the hey come watch us play Utah State then the fans will be "umm no, think I'll go watch the insert NFL team here" Alabama can sell out a 100k stadium offering a bag game against Western Kentucky and their fans will eat it up simply because its football and in most cases the only source of it.

PAC12 fans don't decide what teams are scheduled.  And the PAC12 commissioner - several years back - acknowledged what I said.  I think it is a combination of both.  The league doesn't want teams traveling across country every year, and yet there are no real options for P5 OOC opponents in their back yard.  They they don't want to play another G5 or FCS opponent, so they added another conference game.

Either way, it's not because the PAC12 is trying to be more manly (as so many want to claim).  What has always puzzled me is this:  Because the PAC12 "chooses" to play 9 conference games, then that means everyone else should have to play 9 conference games?  If the PAC12 plays 2 FCS opponents each, does that mean all other P5 teams should also play two FCS opponents?

We've established the reasoning for 9 conference games.  And it's not because the PAC12 is trying to "do more" than everyone else.

Archived