Week 5

glduck

On 10/3/2021 at 1:07 PM, Scscsc89 said:

Dude who thought Clay Helton was doing a great job.

All things considered, he didn't do as terrible as the USC faithful want to think.

Last year he lost one game.  This year, he was canned after losing to Stanford, who just beat PAC12-Darling Oregon.  Would he have lost to Oregon State this past weekend?  I doubt it.

Despite the loss to Stanford, USC was still my pick to win their division, and the PAC12 Championship.  Outside of Notre Dame I fully expected USC to win out, and play for the PAC12 Championship.

So who's to say that USC would have lost again, had Helton still been the HC?

One thing that Helton has had to battle, has been the negative talk about him, which recruits hear about, making it harder for him to annually land a lot of top recruits.  California's top HS talent leaves the state, and primarily going East.  And in this era, especially, you have to have the horses to run the race, and it's tough to land the horses when fans complain and don't attend games.

Now that he's gone, who is USC going to get?  Who is going to be the HC that puts USC on par with BAMA, Georgia, etc.?  And do you think that will happen over night?  In the current state of the program, it's going to take a minimum of 5 years for USC to reach the pinnacle, and that's assuming they have the right coach to get them there.  Who will that coach be?

Here's who it's not going to be be:  Pete Carroll.  USC fans were spoiled with Pete Carroll, and since he's left, USC has struggled to equal what Carroll achieved.  And this coaching change isn't going to help.

USC's win-loss record won't be much different, with the next coach, and the program is not going to advance into the elite status of the Pete Carroll years.  USC was better off to keep Helton (who had advanced the program in the last couple of years), as opposed to "starting over" with another coach.  He's not as bad as USC fans proclaim.  In an environment where recruiting isn't being hampered by disgruntled fans, Helton could do better.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seat is getting pretty warm and the Denver sports media is going after him.  CU's AD had to apologize for him since Dorrell wouldn't do it.  I'm not sure he makes it to 2022 except on January 1st when his buyout drops to a more reasonable amount.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:03 PM, Scscsc89 said:

They were worried about someone swooping in and stealing Karl away?

did we learn nothing from the Clay Helton experience?

No one learns anything in the Pac-12.  We could just make things easier by having a Pac-12 exclusive rule, one allowing coaching and player "trades" between teams.  That way, instead of fiddling with buyouts and the portal, we could just quickly and easily move around the underperforming parts of our teams.  You could have gotten KD Nixon in exchange for one of your castaways you'd toss to Boulder.  Sure, nobody would be better off moving around the unwanted, but it happens anyway, so at least it would cost less and be quicker than the process the conference now uses.  Anyone want Chip?  Who do you have to offer, maybe a strength coach?  Maybe Helton would be a good OC at Washington.  We should have had it back with Sarkasian.  We could even trade recruits right after national signing day, and maybe some of the cheerleading squad.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:48 PM, MrBug708 said:

I dont think it's 15 million dollars. Google says 5 on January 1st

On one of the Colorado boards this is what they're saying:

If fired before 12/31 of the following years:
2021: $14,800,000
2022: $11,400,000
2023: $7,800,000
2024: $4,000,000

On 10/3/2021 at 8:48 PM, MrBug708 said:

I dont think it's 15 million dollars. Google says 5 on January 1st

Yes that is what I am seeing and hearing.  If that is true, that is less than what CU owed Hawkins & MacIntyre when they were fired.

Not good for program stability with four HCs in five years although.

On 10/3/2021 at 8:03 PM, Scscsc89 said:

They were worried about someone swooping in and stealing Karl away?

did we learn nothing from the Clay Helton experience?

More like CU wanted someone who wouldn't leave like Mel Tucker did and overpaid for it.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:16 PM, HLB said:

One thing that Helton has had to battle, has been the negative talk about him, which recruits hear about, making it harder for him to annually land a lot of top recruits. 

Yeah, weird how "negative talk" (like a team sucking) makes recruiting more difficult.

Vine Ok GIF

Remember that red zone play where Oregon's defense seemed to think the play had stopped?

Watch the umpire pull the flag out of his pocket -  not throw it - and proceed to hold on to it throughout the play.

That was truly reprehensible officiating in that game, but if we had a QB who could make an accurate throw or a decent defensive read, and a coach who knew something about clock management, the refBall wouldn't have mattered.

Yeah… the officiating the last 2 minutes was really just the extra kidney punch to make a bad day feel all the more shittier. I will never understand what AB was thinking on that 4th down keeper right before halftime, or the coaching staff allowing a pass on 2nd down w/ about 1:50 to play. If Oregon avoided either one of those boneheaded decisions, they escape.

Archived