Sign in to follow this  
Jalapeno

NHL Expansion: Seattle to submit application soon

Allen is pretty interested in buying a team and placing them in the Rose Garden.  He already owns the building so a nice little add-on of profit likely to the Blazers.  I've heard Portland is more likely to get a relocated team as opposed to one of the expansion teams, however.

Almost all the NHL teams have stable homes.  We'll have to keep an eye on the Coyotes in Glendale due to that arena issue but other than that, it doesn't appear to me that any other NHL team has issues with their arenas.  That is pretty much the best time to expand and that is where the NHL finds itself in.

The NBA isn't far behind the NHL but I think the priority is that the D League gets to 30 teams before the NBA expands at this point.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=772083

That article is about Quebec City applying but regions have between July 6 and August 10 to submit applications to the NHL.  The tone of the article appears to show that the new teams would be based in the west so that is good news for Seattle, Portland, and Las Vegas.  Kansas City and Milwaukee would benefit as well.

I did not mention Tulsa but when the former Super Sonics came to OKC, I read that Oklahoma's NBA franchise would be only in OKC and the NHL franchise would be placed in Tulsa.

I think that the Suns and Coyotes are working on an agreement to share a future arena(Both teams need new arena's according to their respective league's front offices) in Central Phoenix or East Scottsdale

The Coyotes will leave Glendale at some point, but they wont leave the Phoenix metro area.

That's great for Phoenix area sports.

Perhaps the Suns could play in Glendale while they build a new arena in the same location as the current Suns arena.

That's great for Phoenix area sports.

Perhaps the Suns could play in Glendale while they build a new arena in the same location as the current Suns arena.

Glendale was a bad spot to move the hockey team to, most people live in central phx and the east valley and for most of them that means they are an hours drive each way. That isn't a problem with the cardinals because it's only 1 game a week almost always on a Sunday afternoon but with the Yotes or Suns who can play on any day of the week it makes it difficult for fans to travel out here.

Glendale was a bad spot to move the hockey team to, most people live in central phx and the east valley and for most of them that means they are an hours drive each way. That isn't a problem with the cardinals because it's only 1 game a week almost always on a Sunday afternoon but with the Yotes or Suns who can play on any day of the week it makes it difficult for fans to travel out here.

I was in downtown Phoenix about a month ago and the Valley Metro rail running near the arena and Chase Field was a great thing.  When would they have such a line running to the Cardinals' football stadium?

And OT, it seemed like Phoenix was kind of dead to me...isn't it more lively when it's not about 110 degrees outside?

I was in downtown Phoenix about a month ago and the Valley Metro rail running near the arena and Chase Field was a great thing.  When would they have such a line running to the Cardinals' football stadium?

And OT, it seemed like Phoenix was kind of dead to me...isn't it more lively when it's not about 110 degrees outside?

I don't see them ever expanding the light rail out this way as the west valley isn't populated well enough to support it.  The West Valley (approx 750,000 residents) is about half as populated as the east valley (1.4 million) is and then it is also much more spread out whereas the East Valley for the most part sits right on top of one another.  On top of that a significant portion of the west valley (about 25%) is made up of retirement communities.

As it is right now the WestGate Center is the only thing in the West Valley that could anchor the light rail and even then that only really works for about another year until the Coyotes move to wherever they will go to and after that it will just be the UoP Stadium.  Where the light rail currently exists you have several major anchoring points in ASU, GCU, Sky Harbor, Chase Field, whatever the Suns Arena is called now plus the business district of downtown Phoenix.

As for lively I don't really think so,  Phoenix more or less is kind of a dump, I'll venture down there a couple times a year for a Suns/dbacks game but then I'm also more of nature/outdoors person but even with that other then a couple zoos, some hiking trails and Lake Pleasant most of the enjoyable things are to be found more up north in Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon.  If you more into the club/bar scene best option would be Tempe out on Mill which is where the ASU students congregate and then as well a few places out in Scottsdale.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/could-houston-rockets-sale-precede-nhl-expansion-relocation-to-toyota-center/

Given that the Rockets are up for sale, this might revive a NHL expansion to Houston.  Given the arena issues for the Coyotes, it's possible they pack up and leave Arizona.  I was looking at the divisions and if the NHL was to add Houston, one more team (Nashville?) would be bumped to the Eastern Conference.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/01/19/seattle-expansion-team-names-list

Possible names (as submitted by the Seattle group trying to get the NHL team)

• Seattle Cougars

• Seattle Eagles

• Seattle Emeralds

• Seattle Evergreens

• Seattle Firebirds

• Seattle Kraken

• Seattle Rainiers

• Seattle Renegades

• Seattle Sea Lions

• Seattle Seals

• Seattle Sockeyes

• Seattle Totems

• Seattle Whales

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this