2016 -- and Beyond -- Basketball Recruiting

All Hail

6 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Cal had stopped recruiting Allen a long time ago and I imagine that was the case for UCLA as well.  Still, he's a solid player with a lot of potential from a great AAU program. 

I wonder how this will affect Utah's recruitment of Warren Washington.  They were the presumed leaders for a long time but I've heard that is no longer the case as of last week. 

Also, Bryan Penn-Johnson is probably heading to Utah.  He would be a terrific get for the Utes. 

I have no inside info on his recruitment, he had listed his top 5 in August as SDSU, UCLA, ASU, ISU and Utah. 247 Sports Crystal Ball predictions had him as 50/50 between ASU and UCLA. He visited Utah on Friday, so I guess he liked what he saw here.

Bryan Penn-Johnson would be great to get, nice to have a talented big man, and Larry has shown the ability to coach them up.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alford has always recruited at UCLA like he can land anyone because he's at UCLA. I get thinking that, but Alford doesnt have that cache of personality to get away with it. Sure, he landed Kevon Looney this way, but he spends most of his time chasing players he really won t land. He wants to recruit nationally but doesn't have the resume to get away with it. He's totally failed at being able to keep lids warm that might be fall back options. When Howland lost out on a kid, he was able to switch to Westbrook. He's been able to land local kids because of the connection to the Compton Magic. That well has dried up going forward.  The thing that killed him with this class is he thought Under Armor would gift wrap kids to him. So he focused on all of UA recruits and started chasing them despite no real prior connection. He made a couple of top 5 lists but its pretty bad and didnt land a single UA kid. To add insult to injury, Arizona managed to land a kid from UA and Alford hasn't. He also has two coaches in staff who are not really recruiters and one coach focuses on mostly administration things. Most large programs have admin staff who do that for him. 

Ucla could have 4 more scholarships available to them and they don't lead for a single post or PG that is 4* or higher. They just lost two guards in the past week to Ohio State and Cincinnati, both kids out here from the west coast.

Mora is strictly bring doomed by mediocre coaching. Alford has the same issue but is also plagued by awful recruiting and needs to be gone much sooner than Mora does 

1 hour ago, RogueDuck said:

King is a duck.  

I'm excited to see how the best coach in the conference, and one of the best in the country, does over the next 5 years having some NBA first-round picks on the court instead of second-rounders and overseas professional players.  I saw The Ringer 2018 NBA mock has Troy Brown Jr. as a Top 10 pick next year.

2 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

I remember when Ben Howland was that person. He's about to get fired from Mississippi State

Altman is a much better coach than Howland.  Howland managed to have Love, Westbrook, Collison, Mbah a Moute, and Shipp at the same time along with a decent rim protector in the guy whose name I can't remember but also played in the NBA and never won a title.    Howland's slow pace of play was so bad considering the talent he had on those teams.

EDIT - I think Bug agrees with me after reading it again.

I think Howland was too devoted to his system in-game and then changed it too drastically, but I'll say this about Altman, he is way more consistent than Howland. But as for developing players, Howland was onenpf the best in Pac -12 history. Shame he was just too rigid at the wrong times. Getting elite players seemed to be his downfall.  But those three final four runs were great to watch. Shame they didn't happen over the past 4 or 5 years because I don't think two of those teams lose a game. But other teams are profiting as ucla steps on its own dick with a terrible coaching hire

duke and kentucky are the obvious co-leaders (or whatever, i don't care) for barrett but Mops is trying to sell the fact that we've gotten this far with him so there may be something there. he's visiting this weekend i believe, a day after another 5 star kid committed. timing could be worse, but obviously i'll believe the top ranked player in the class will be committing to oregon when i see it. 

bol bol headlines a big recruiting visit next weekend for the cal game. i know bol is an arizona lean, but he'll be visiting alongside emmitt williams and eric ayala. rogue is right about dort.

With Oregon landing King and UCLA floundering, Jordan Brown is a virtual lock to Cal.  He visited last week and wanted to visit again this week for the USC football game.  Unfortunately, he is having some back issues and is going to the doctor instead.  Hopefully that's not a sign of things to come for Brown. 

The inside scoop, which multiple people have, is that there's a group text(or twitter whatever) with Bol Bol, Barrett, Williams, King and Norris. 

http://247sports.com/Player/Emmitt-Williams-85996

http://247sports.com/Player/Bol-Bol-82110

http://247sports.com/Player/RJ-Barrett-88046

All 3 of whom are visiting the Ducks. 

And Dort: http://247sports.com/Player/Luguentz-Dort-86620

It's a pipe dream. We should be ecstatic to land Dort alone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Melo Ball was pulled from school and will be home schooled his last two years. Pretty safe to say he will never play in college. Watching clips from the TV show, Melo and Lonzo are signing autographs, getting free things, and doing more or less the same things while gelo isn't allowed to because of eligibility rules. I'm hoping Lonzo playing in the NBA and Melo on a travel circuit will let Gelo just exist on the bench at ucla

Archived