2016 -- and Beyond -- Basketball Recruiting

All Hail

2018 PG Elijah Hardy just said that Cal was his dream school.  Hardy goes to the same HS as Ivan Rabb, which of course is where I went to HS as well.  Hardy is the best PG prospect to come out the Bay Area since Jason Kidd and was one of only 3 2018 kids named to the USA U17 National Team.  If Cal wants to be relevant in the future, they need to once again protect their backyard and land this kid.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The third Ball brother, LaMelo, commits to UCLA. He's a 13 year old incoming Freshman who was advanced a grade to play with his brothers for this one year. He's only 5'7, 125, but has his brothers shooting touch

Wow, that just seems crazy to me that teams are offering 13 yo now. Especially ones that are 5'7 125lbs, so really 5'5 105.

I'm hearing there's a decent chance that UCSB lands 3/4 star PG Jordan Ford.  I can see why he is flying under the radar as he is the classic floor leader who isn't athletic or flashy but can really shoot and control a game.  I've seen him play several times and I think he would be a great fit at Cal but Cal is slow playing him in favor of the more dynamic Charlie Moore.  If UCSB lands Ford it would have to be the best PG they've landed in decades.  There's just so many quality PG's for 2016 -- I mean Ball is only ranked #3 in his class by some services -- that the smaller schools are going to get some very quality players at the point.  

Jordan Ford named his final 3 today -- Oregon State, St Mary's and UCSB.  I think he follows in his fathers footsteps and plays for the Guachos, which would be a tremendous get for them.  All reports are that Cal has stopped recruiting him since July, which I think is a shame. This means it's Charlie Moore or bust for Cal. 

So TJ Leaf just decommitted from Arizona. The writing is on the wall for a commit to UCLA. They've pretty much setup a pipeline with the Compton Magic. The only reason he didnt commit was some Don Maclean said to him at an AAU clinic to pissed off the family.

Jaylen Hands and Cody Riley are the next targets

So TJ Leaf just decommitted from Arizona. The writing is on the wall for a commit to UCLA. They've pretty much setup a pipeline with the Compton Magic. The only reason he didnt commit was some Don Maclean said to him at an AAU clinic to pissed off the family.

Jaylen Hands and Cody Riley are the next targets

A pipeline?  I know they've got some commits but wasn't Aaron Afflalo the last guy from that team to play for UCLA? 

Also, will UCLA have enough scholly's for the two current commits as well as Leaf and Hands? 

Afflalo was the last guy but this is what it looks like right now, thanks to David Grace.

But the pipeline will be

TJ leaf

Jaylen Hands

Cody Riley

Ike Anigbogu

Kobe Paras

Jalen Hill

Kobe Paras is probably the price of keeping the pipeline happy, just like the two Ball brothers are needed to get Lonzo. It's not ideal, but it is what it is now

And no, probably not a scholarship available, but Bryce could always go off and somehow, ****** has been saying that he could go get drafted next year. We have that JC kid coming in who may not be that good, Bolden is hit or miss on how long he'll stay.

We'll see. UO was Leafs first call when he decommited, and unlike UCLA, we've actually have had a couple guys come to Eugene from the magic within the last 4 years. Arik Armstead and current PF Jordan Bell. But the way the last few 5* recruits have gone, we'll finish second.

I'd imagine Grace has kept in contact this whole time. That being said, with the way the UCLA has been recruiting the Magic, one player leaving the team would be surprising. The Leaf family had a fallout with one of the ADIDAS AAU camp guys and Don McLean, which turned them off of UCLA, but that guy is no longer with the ADIDAS nation, so the problem has been removed.

During the Howland years post Afflalo signing, the Compton Magic's director, Etop Udo-Ema, was never going to send anyone to UCLA. There was some major problems with Howland and the local AAU programs (other than the Pump-n-Run's), which is why he had to hire the Atlanta Celtic's coach, to find another pipeline to tap into, which also cost Howland his job eventually

We'll see. UO was Leafs first call when he decommited, and unlike UCLA, we've actually have had a couple guys come to Eugene from the magic within the last 4 years. Arik Armstead and current PF Jordan Bell. But the way the last few 5* recruits have gone, we'll finish second.

Oregon didn't make his top 8. Must have been a terrible phone call

I'd be surprised if he didn't pick Zona with Stanford being the dark horse.

Wouldn't surprise me if he stayed home with Zona either but from what I've gathered (as someone not willing to pay for a subscription) Utah has a good shot at him. Krystko seems to have a connection with him as a fellow big man. Then again never underestimate the power of a diploma from the Trees.

Archived