2016 -- and Beyond -- Basketball Recruiting

All Hail

The most meaningful HS tournament of the year took place this past weekend -- The Nike Extravaganza.

Chino Hills blew several big leads against an Oak Hill Academy team that had already lost 3 times.  LiAngelo Ball shot 8 for 35 and was injured for a bit in the 3rd quarter.  LaMelo played much better and scored 35.   They lost by 5 96-91.  LaMelo is already a better player than LiAngelo and if he continues to grow (both his height and his game) he will be a 5-star recruit.  A sophomore who moves like that, shoots like that, and can pass like that is pretty amazing.  There have been several 5-star pgs who couldn't do what this kid is doing as a sophomore. 

I've been thinking this for awhile but now I'm convinced the best HS basketball team in California, and perhaps the nation is Sierra Canyon.  They have 25+ point victories of Bishop O'Dowd, Crossroads, Findlay Prep, and now Bishop Gorman.  All of these teams are extremely talented in their own right so to destroy competition of this quality is beyond impressive.  Apparently they were unstoppable this past weekend against Bishop Gorman.  It helps when you have a future NBA lottery pick in form of Marvin Bagley, who is easily the best player in California right now (sorry Jordan Brown.) Unlike Chino Hills, these guys get after it defensively, which I think makes them the best.

Mater Dei could have something to say about this now that Bol Bol has been activiated.  The 7'1 freak athlete is a game changer on a team that already was elite and went toe-to-toe with Chino Hills.  Justice Sueing (4-star Cal commit who I love) and Bol Bol form a star studded tandem under probably the best coach in California.  They will be very dangerous by the end of the season, capable of beating anybody. 

The Bay Area is wayyy down this year.  O'Dowd has been bested by most outside competition they've faced.  Salesian got off to a very slow start but is probably the best team in the Bay Area and they would probably be the 10th best team in Southern California. 

The Sacramento area has some good teams this year.  Sheldon is probably better than anything the Bay Area has and Woodcreek featuring Jordan Brown has pummeled some very good teams, including a 30 point thumping of Salesian.  They lost by 15 to Chino Hills and by 11 to Harverd Westlake (Brown didn't play), which are their only two loses.  They might be the team to beat in the north.  

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see Sierra Canyon go against Nathan Hale

They did play them and lost by 2 points in an epic game that SC was mostly winning.  SC had the better team but Porter was the better player and got the better of Bagley in that one. 

SC blew a 50-41 lead late in the game.  NH ended the game on a 16-5 run. 

Totally missed that. Why are high school hoops teams able to play such good OOC games?

I'd guess because the incentivizations are much different.  There is no penalty for playing the toughest schedule you possibly can.  Regardless of how you do OOC, it will have no effect on your district, city and possibly state tournament.  For example, Bishop O'Dowd is currently 14-9 with 7 of those losses to teams in either Southern California or outside of the state.  BOD will still make their district tournament and have the same chance as any other local team to advance.   Getting into your local tournament is pathetically easy, getting into the NCAA tournament is far more difficult in comparison. 

If anything, these teams are incentivized to play as tough a schedule as possible to create maximum exposure for their players.  The more games against high level competition, the greater chance a player can be scouted and potentially offered.  Kids demand these type of games and most of the good players will only go to schools that are playing great OOC schedules.  

In college, the difference between making the tournament could be your OOC schedule.  Teams could get worn down with too tough a schedule that features too many long trips and flights.  The coaches/ADs have so much more to lose than a HS coach/AD and therefore must pick their OOC schedule cautiously.  

Lots of noise he's leaning hard to UO even before the trip. Looks like sunny and 60s too for the Furd game.

McCoy was at the Arizona-Oregon game on Saturday on an unofficial visit.

Troy Brown and McCoy may persuade Bell to return for a real shot (favorite?) to win the NCAA tournament in 2017-18 if McCoy picks UO over Arizona.  

I assume Brooks is gone even though I don't think he will ever be an NBA starter, and maybe not even a solid rotation player for a good NBA team.  He's one of those guys who is very good in college, but he doesn't really have a position in the NBA.

Brooks is a great college player, but unfortunately he has very average arm length and athleticism, and that will hurt him in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him lasting more that 2-4 years in the NBA.

He seems like a solid Euro player, but then again, he's a bit of a hardass so maybe that sticks in the NBA in a specific role.  

the coach at my high school was straight out of the dick bennett school of eating clock and defense so my memories of HS ball consist of dozens of 44-40 final scores... so 92 points just doesn't compute. 37/61? i'm sure I sat through a season's worth of games in the student section without seeing my school with 37 possessions per game.

What?

EDIT - oh, Ball's brother.

HS games are 32 minutes. Seems like a stunt by the coach since they lost to Oak Hill. Did anyone play defense in this game?

Chino Hills forces teams into a frenetic style of play by shooting the ball in 7 seconds or less and then pressing the hell out of them.

LiAngelo was hurt so Lamelo got the shots his brother normally takes. If LiAngelo wasn't on the team, Lamelo would probably average 50-60 points a game. He's probably going to be a top 10 recruit in his class.

The score was something like 142-123, so it's safe to assume defense was about at a UCLA level

That's what happens when you press with reckless abandon. The other team is going to beat it several times and get a lot of easy buckets. However, it ultimately plays right into the hands of Chino Hills as they force teams playing their game and pretty much nobody is going to beat them at their own game.

I bet their defense when measured by points per possession isn't that bad.

Chino Hills forces teams into a frenetic style of play by shooting the ball in 7 seconds or less and then pressing the hell out of them.

LiAngelo was hurt so Lamelo got the shots his brother normally takes. If LiAngelo wasn't on the team, Lamelo would probably average 50-60 points a game. He's probably going to be a top 10 recruit in his class.

I just saw the highlights on ESPN.  He hit some contested threes and had a whole bunch of layups against a Los Osos team that looked like it didn't have a player over 6'3" on the court.

Plus Daddy Ball said he "unleashed" Lamelo tonight.  Who coaches that team?  

Archived