The "Save us, Bruce" Thread

MrBug708

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hope so but despite all of our resources, somehow USA soccer has convinced itself that Jurgy is the best we could hope for, which of course is ridiculous.  I hope I'm wrong as he should be coaching for his job tonight but I haven't heard any rumors to indicate this is the case. 

With that being said, I am really underwhelmed by our talent.  No speed, no technical ability, one slow midfielder who is decent and that's it.  Dempsey has disappeared and our defense is god awful.  I'm sure you'll say that we have the wrong guys playing and that there's better talent out there but how much better are they?  

Same lineup. After 2 years of never having the same lineup, he watched the colombia game and thought "that's the winner"

He made some Tedford-esque statements about winning the 2nd half so I think he's doubling down on those comments.  

Funny, I was thinking he reminded me of Neu, where he did well in previous jobs, but when he came to UCLA, he promised a better style, which turned out to be an unmitigated mess. I think tactically speaking, half the MLS managers are probably better

Did anybody else watch the Iceland match?  Ugh, wasn't pretty when you beat a country of 330,000 people on a late goal.

Canada tonight.  Needs to be a convincing result or I have serious doubts.  Jozy looks much lighter and faster than last time I saw him play, which is a plus.

I take back everything I said about Iceland, although Portugal was clearly the better team today against them.  Impressive draw for the Bjorks!

Interested in seeing Ngabe and Pulisic as 2nd half subs against better teams when Jurgy can't just park the bus with a lead.  Jurgy is running with a senior squad at this point, although Wood getting starts is nice to see.  The style of play is just awful to watch but he's getting results, so there's that.

One of my best friends is Chilean and he was going nuts yesterday. Chile has a surprisingly good soccer team for how small that country is. They won the last Copa and if Argentina wasn't playing head-and-shoulders above everyone else -- even with an injured Messi -- I would like their odds at repeating.

Everyone is destroying Mexicos defense but their midfield was exposed even harder IMO. Chile took the ball from Mexico whenever they felt like it and put maximum pressure on their defense. The Chilean midfield so dominant they could pinch in without fear of a counterattack. Once Mexico couldn't possess the ball in any meaningful spots of the field and couldn't counter, the rout was on.

Archived