NFL Thread

PAC MAN

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Hope he does well.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21056998/nfl-ratings-75-percent-week-6-2017-compared-2016

NFL ratings still going down.  I haven't watched the NFL in a month and I don't miss it.

Still boycotting over the anthem bullshit?  That is objectively stupid. 

How would you feel if a deaf player was protesting the fact that deaf people were 7x more likely to be shot by police while unarmed?  I bet you'd climb on the protest bandwagon then.

It's called empathy.  Have some.  It's free, and it feels good.

4 hours ago, Orange said:

Still boycotting over the anthem bullshit?  That is objectively stupid. 

How would you feel if a deaf player was protesting the fact that deaf people were 7x more likely to be shot by police while unarmed?  I bet you'd climb on the protest bandwagon then.

It's called empathy.  Have some.  It's free, and it feels good.

I don't dismiss those issues between the Deaf and police but I'd still stand for the flag.  Deaf Americans do have it very well to some other countries.  I learned that the Dominican Republic doesn't allow deaf people to work or have a life and they must live with their parents even if they are married. One mainland Chinese Deaf did tell me via WeChat (before I was cut off by obviously the Chinese government) that he was working for his mother who was a famous acupuncturist in the southern part of the country.  Don't know if Deaf Chinese are allowed to have their own lives.  I had the benefit of having a former cop as a parent explaining to me what should happen if I was approached by a cop in different situations.  It's unfortunate that some have lost their lives in confrontations with the police.

When my alma mater (Gallaudet University) hired a hearing president instead of a qualified Deaf president back in 1988, the students marched from the school to Capitol Hill in Washington DC.  A lot of good came out of that including the ADA Rights Act of 1990 where the school president testified to Congress saying that "I can do anything except hear".  And there's Martin Luther King Jr in 1963 on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.  The point is that NFL games are NOT the place to protest and that did more harm than good when the common person who doesn't get paid millions cannot expect to keep their jobs if they dared protest while on the job.  No one likes special treatment and it appears to me that the NFL players are getting special treatment by keeping their jobs.  The best way to solve the police brutality is to have a lot of people march in not only Washington DC but other cities.  And it is not limited to black people either.  I do not think that the NFL protests were effective because those overpaid NFL millionaires will be able to fall back on their money even if they were out of a job.  The correct thing would have been to protest WITH the people and share their experiences with everyone from all backgrounds.

I'm still trying to get confirmation from other Broncos fans that every single Broncos player stood for the anthem before resuming my support of the Broncos & NFL which may or may not happen.  I'm not going to apologize for making a principled stand.

13 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

I don't dismiss those issues between the Deaf and police but I'd still stand for the flag.  Deaf Americans do have it very well to some other countries.  I learned that the Dominican Republic doesn't allow deaf people to work or have a life and they must live with their parents even if they are married. One mainland Chinese Deaf did tell me via WeChat (before I was cut off by obviously the Chinese government) that he was working for his mother who was a famous acupuncturist in the southern part of the country.  Don't know if Deaf Chinese are allowed to have their own lives.  I had the benefit of having a former cop as a parent explaining to me what should happen if I was approached by a cop in different situations.  It's unfortunate that some have lost their lives in confrontations with the police.

When my alma mater (Gallaudet University) hired a hearing president instead of a qualified Deaf president back in 1988, the students marched from the school to Capitol Hill in Washington DC.  A lot of good came out of that including the ADA Rights Act of 1990 where the school president testified to Congress saying that "I can do anything except hear".  And there's Martin Luther King Jr in 1963 on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.  The point is that NFL games are NOT the place to protest and that did more harm than good when the common person who doesn't get paid millions cannot expect to keep their jobs if they dared protest while on the job.  No one likes special treatment and it appears to me that the NFL players are getting special treatment by keeping their jobs.  The best way to solve the police brutality is to have a lot of people march in not only Washington DC but other cities.  And it is not limited to black people either.  I do not think that the NFL protests were effective because those overpaid NFL millionaires will be able to fall back on their money even if they were out of a job.  The correct thing would have been to protest WITH the people and share their experiences with everyone from all backgrounds.

I'm still trying to get confirmation from other Broncos fans that every single Broncos player stood for the anthem before resuming my support of the Broncos & NFL which may or may not happen.  I'm not going to apologize for making a principled stand.

this is fascinating to me. your principled stand doesn't seem to cite any particular love for america, and you seem to understand that unnecessarily killing black people is wrong. so you're choosing to not watch nfl games because of a false equivalency you've come up with in your head? does your job force you to be present for the national anthem? do most "common people" have jobs where the national anthem is played? what are you basing this "most people can't protest at work" thing on? unions exist. strikes happen. "not standing for the national anthem" is not just cause for termination.

47 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

I keep reading this bullshit "if I did this at work, I'd be fired" excuse from you people, and I have to say that it's hard for me to fathom the ignorance behind it.  When's the last time your boss ever made you stand up and stay at attention during the national anthem at your job? 

I've heard you work for the government.  I assume there's a flag in the office somewhere.  Do you make sure to salute every time you walk past?  If not, you hate the troops. That's essentially the moronic argument you're making when applied to your own job. 

They're football players, not troops.  They're not in the color guard.  Their job is NOT to stand for the anthem.  It's to entertain us with a fucking game.  Marching in streets all over DC and clogging up traffic is okay, but kneeling at a game and being silent is not?  You make ABSOLUTELY no sense.  And every time one of you faux patriots attempts to explain, you make it worse with your abject stupidity.

I hope the players keep kneeling, and when the NFL and the government does nothing about it (because under the law, they cannot), you pathetic flag warriors will come crawling back to the NFL for entertainment like always.

EDIT: I didn't read gl's reply before penning my own.  Oh well, it deserves to be said twice.

17 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

I take issue with this. Who are you to tell anyone the correct way to peacefully protest? 

Archived