Camping

MrBug708

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:25 PM, Scscsc89 said:

Sorry if it wasn't clear -- the vacation was last week.

Day 2:

Rented a car in Wenatchee & drove to Lake Chelon where my wife had found this combo-restaurant & blueberry-picking place for lunch.  Weirdest desert rock mountain landscape but the most amazing fruit.  So odd.

After lunch drove up to Methow Valley -- Twisp & Winthrop. we had three nights at the Patterson Lake Cabins at Sun Mountain Lodge.  Not fancy but very comfortable.

Hopefully you didn't get too smoked out in Winthrop or were able to get away from it, I know it got pretty bad there for few days.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4&5 were pretty smoky -- we had a great time tubing one day in Winthrop & the lodge puts on a fun "cowboy dinner" that my son loved.  Less than ideal but we didn't let it get us down.  Luckily it was just hazy and didn't bother our eyes or lungs.

Day 6 -- we drove from Winthrop to Couer d'Alene via the grand coulee dam.  More odd landscape but loved driving along the river(s).  Great bakery in Twisp.

Fantastic downtown playground with fountains in cda -- another good night at a springhill suites.  No guns this time.

Day 7 in Spokane -- went to the children's science center & museum.  Really bummed that the falls & gondolas are closed.  We stayed at a courtyard by Marriott on a nice river walk but we're forced inside by more air quality issues.  Spokane airport may be the easiest airport to return a rental car to in the country.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:25 PM, Scscsc89 said:

After lunch drove up to Methow Valley -- Twisp & Winthrop. we had three nights at the Patterson Lake Cabins at Sun Mountain Lodge.  Not fancy but very comfortable.

We stayed at the lodge in early July, and took the kids to Patterson Lake to splash around on kayaks, a paddle boat, and stand up paddle board. They also did some fishing. They loved it. I thought the lodge was nice and would stay there again. Ping pong and foosball were a plus.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:14 PM, Scscsc89 said:

We arrived in Wenatchee to find they have never heard of Lyft or Uber.  Checked into the SpringHill Suites.

At about 9:30, the front desk called the room to say the previous night's guest had left something in the room & would it be ok to come retrieve it? Uh, sure ok.

The gal came in, grabbed the desk chair & rolled it over to the dresser -- then she stood on it, rummaged above her head and brought down a handgun.  LUCKILY, she had the presence of mind to shield it from the view of my curious son.

She left, apologizing profusely.  My wife & kid went to bed.  At 11:00, she came back for the magazine.

Long  first day

LOL, score another one for "responsible gun owners" everywhere?  Jesus.

My buddy and I are probably relegating our annual trip to the Wallowas again,  Or perhaps Stanley, ID.  And right on schedule, they're banning campfires and we're entirely shrouded in smoke.  The trip isn't for about 2 and a half weeks so I really hope it's cleared up by then.

Archived