MrBug708

Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Go Here

RogueDuck    302
On 6/16/2017 at 3:38 PM, glduck said:

i don't go to whole foods because i can't bring myself to spend $67 for a bushel of organic apples.

I don't go there because I find most of the people who shop there, are assholes.  And I'd rather not deal with a bunch of jerks while shopping.

KUGRDON    1,039
9 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

I don't go there because I find most of the people who shot there, are assholes.  And I'd rather not deal with a bunch of jerks while shopping.

Liberals.

Nakedmolerat    394
10 hours ago, Mano said:

Also hate shopping at Walmart.

My New Year's resolution of 2015 was to not shop at WalMart any more. Still going strong. 

KUGRDON    1,039

I get my Walden Farms 0 carb, 0 sugar, 0 fat Raspberry Vinagrette at Walmart.  That's all I buy there.

glduck    1,431

i stole a kid's fidgit spinner yesterday and played with it for about two minutes before i got bored. maybe i'm too old to appreciate it.

but i don't know about this crackdown on them. back in my day we took laser pointers to school and blinded each other. drove teacher's crazy with those things. fidgit spinners seem relatively harmless.

• Like 1

MrBug708    557

Why are there no hip hop cover/tribute bands? People go crazy over stuff like Brit Floyd or KanzAz but there's no touring Big P.O.P.P.A or All Eyez on Me(that I know of). Tribute bands must be a white people thing.

KUGRDON    1,039

So I give my Chihuahuas  two milk bones a day. As soon as I give it to one of them he runs to a safe spot. If I walk towards him, he takes his bone and goes  under the coffee table. I just gave it to him, but he is convinced that I want to steal it from him. The other one just walks around with his sticking out of his mouth, and when the first one has consumed his milk bone the second one starts to tease the first one with his. He will lay on his back, bone sticking out of his mouth pointing up in the air and he waves it around as the first one watches. He will put it down and lay down a few inches away from it, enticing the older dog to try to get it.  He will delay consuming it for up to three hours, teasing the other one intermittently.  Sometimes he forgets it and walks away, the other dog will quickly snatch it.  The older and larger one could easily take the bone during the teasing but never does. It seems they have some sort of code of ethics.

The other thing about the milk bones is that they beg me for them at the designated times in the morning and evening. Sometimes I run out, and when they beg me I take kernals of their dry dog food from their bowl and give them that. They seem just as happy even though they could've just gone and got the kernel themselves.

Orange    1,150

Gary (7 year old chocolate lab) does the same thing with his treats, running away and hiding and retreating when I get near.  The behavior of your other animal suggests to me that he is a sociopath.  See a doggy psychologist.

Codes of ethics and "rules" of puppy play rule in times of plenty.  When the apocalypse hits, the rules go out the window.

• Like 1

KUGRDON    1,039
5 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

So I give my Chihuahuas  two milk bones a day. As soon as I give it to one of them he runs to a safe spot. If I walk towards him, he takes his bone and goes  under the coffee table. I just gave it to him, but he is convinced that I want to steal it from him. The other one just walks around with his sticking out of his mouth, and when the first one has consumed his milk bone the second one starts to tease the first one with his. He will lay on his back, bone sticking out of his mouth pointing up in the air and he waves it around as the first one watches. He will delay consuming it for up to three hours, teasing the other one intermittently.  The older and larger one could easily take the bone during the teasing but never does. It seems they have some sort of code of ethics.

Zach, my golden retriever, now deceased, would sit in front of me while I placed a milk bone across the bridge of his nose so that It hung over both sides of his nose. He would sit staring at the milk bone until I said OK.   That was my part of the trick. After I said OK, it was all his innovation. He would flip the milk bone up in the air and catch it on the way down.  Sometimes he wouldn't toss it in the air but just jerked his head quickly to the right or left so that the milk bone hung in the air at which time he would snap back and grab it.  In either case, he would bring it back to me Wanting me to put it back on his nose.  So I designed a sadistic trick and he turned it into a wonderful game. Golden retrievers are angels.

Scscsc89    987
On 6/22/2017 at 7:25 AM, KUGRDON said:

If I walk towards him, he takes his bone and goes  under the coffee table. I just gave it to him, but he is convinced that I want to steal it from him. 

Clearly you need to walk around with a milkbone in YOUR mouth to show him you mean him no harm.  Anything else would be cruel.

All Hail    961
14 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Just saw an ad for spiked sparkling water.  wtf people

That already exists in the form of champagne. 

RogueDuck    302
22 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Just saw an ad for spiked sparkling water.  wtf people

It's weird.  Last year at a gold tournament that I played in, they had a booth set up at one of the holes and were giving away samples and cans.  I still have the can in the fridge in my garage, that's how much I liked it.  It's not something I'd every buy that's for sure.

Scscsc89    987

I went to their website where they have a bunch of cocktail recipes that feature their product -- and you also need to add vodka or tequila.

KUGRDON    1,039

Are any of you guys Hispanic or have intimate relationships with Hispanics? As noted in another thread I spent a lot of time with my nephews this weekend and noticed a couple of things that  got my attention if not have me worrying as of yet.  Just curious what your thoughts might be.

First, one of the boys was particularly conscientious about putting on sunscreen. As I helped him put it on, I asked him if he burned often.  He said no he just didn't want to get "all brown."   I just commented that his skin was very light and showed him that I was more dark complected then he was.

A very pretty little Hispanic girl was talking to one of the boys and after she had left I teasingly said something to him about his new girlfriend. He said he wanted a white, american girlfriend.

when we were driving home they were telling me about their iPhone message group, "The Cousins."  I asked them if it was Los Primos and if they were just saying the cousins for my benefit. They said no they were Americans and the name of the group was the cousins.

they are all very happy boys yet some of these comments left me feeling a little uneasy and Unsure.   Each of them have a Hispanic and Anglo parent.  Bug, maybe your wife has some input.   I am so proud of their Hispanic heritage and love to hear them speaking Spanish.   It troubles me to think that they might be feeling, and expressing, anxiety about "being different."  Of course teen angst is certainly a thing and the boys might just be expressing normal teen angst for those in their circumstance.

Mano    582

It's almost like the leader of some political party has been spewing anti-Hispanic rhetoric, portraying them as rapists and criminals and fanning anti Hispanic sentiment in the country. Good thing such a guy didn't gain power due to the cynicism of those who should know better. 

• Like 1

glduck    1,431

i mean... yeah. this isn't exactly a banner time to be non-white in america. i don't know how old these kids are or what % of their community is of Hispanic descent, but take normal adolescent fears and anxieties of being on the outside looking in and then let those fears and anxieties be legitimized by the government and yeah, you might see a few public displays of uneasiness.

• Like 1

KUGRDON    1,039

Yeah Mano, It's almost as if someone can't help himself from inserting politics and personal animosity into a thread not on the politics board and most certainly concerning the health and well-being of wonderful young men.

I remember having a discussion with the oldest one of them about being called a Jab, apparently what Hispanics are called at his school, well before the last presidential election commenced.  Certainly Trumpism has its effects at the margins.  

Mano    582
18 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

Yeah Mano, It's almost as if someone can't help himself from inserting politics and personal animosity into a thread not on the politics board and most certainly concerning the health and well-being of wonderful young men.

I remember having a discussion with the oldest one of them about being called a Jab, apparently what Hispanics are called at his school, well before the last presidential election commenced.  Certainly Trumpism has its effects at the margins.  

The deplorable people have always existed, but electing a president who is sympathetic with their views legitimizes them. You really think this has no effect? Sorry if you don't think the direction of our country due to the current administration has anything to do with the rising anti Hispanic sentiment, from everything that I see, it clearly has. You posed a question of why they may be denying their Hispanic heritage, and the answer seems painfully obvious. I am sorry if it does not fit your world view.

• Like 1

KUGRDON    1,039
22 minutes ago, glduck said:

i mean... yeah. this isn't exactly a banner time to be non-white in america. i don't know how old these kids are or what % of their community is of Hispanic descent, but take normal adolescent fears and anxieties of being on the outside looking in and then let those fears and anxieties be legitimized by the government and yeah, you might see a few public displays of uneasiness.

Their town is 55 or 56% Hispanic not sure about their particular schools. 

KUGRDON    1,039
2 hours ago, Mano said:

The deplorable people have always existed, but electing a president who is sympathetic with their views legitimizes them. You really think this has no effect? Sorry if you don't think the direction of our country due to the current administration has anything to do with the rising anti Hispanic sentiment, from everything that I see, it clearly has. You posed a question of why they may be denying their Hispanic heritage, and the answer seems painfully obvious. I am sorry if it does not fit your world view.

Part of the rising Anti Hispanic rhetoric is due to the failure to distinguish between legal and illegal immigration and the characterization of those who wish to constrain illegal immigration as anti-hispanic.  Such cynicism is every bit as divisive and distractive as is tromp.  Indeed, trump is the flower of this cynicism, not the root of anti-Hispanic rhetoric and actions.  Sorry if that doesn't fit into your world view but it is painfully obvious.  Hopefully we can leave these discussions for another time and another forum.  I was looking for some insight from someone with personal knowledge rather than liberal or conservative hypothesis.

These are wonderful young men and I was merely trying to properly recognize what was going on, "normal" teen angst for those in their circumstance versus signs of possible self-loathing and the best ways of dealing with that. For example I always express pride and interest in their heritage, encourage them to speak Spanish and take them to Hispanic businesses where they can do so and where they can meet hard-working successful Hispanic business people.  I wonder if this exacerbates or helps whatever issues they may be facing.  I can see how a teenager could experience this as drawing attention to something that caused them discomfort.  I also make a big deal out of my being Italian and make them Chicken Cacciatore, Chicken Parmesan, Ravioli, Spaghetti and Chicken Alfredo and ask them to make hispanic dishes for me which they do.

I want the boys to first and foremost experience my love for, and joy in, them and for them to be secure in that love.  Beyond that, I want to help them where I can and not make clumsy, misguided, ineffectual and possibly counterproductive efforts where I can't.