C/O 2018 Recruiting

MrBug708

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, glduck said:

not a ton of excitement. most of our class seems decided, i'll be happy w/ sewell and a receiver. 

it's a nice class, potentially great on the offensive side, but losing taggart didn't do it any favors. 

Getting Sewell takes a bit of the Devon Williams sting away.  Nice OL  class for Cristobal.

yesterday was a great reminder as to why i quit following recruiting. the various duck boards were in full meltdown mode. oh no we may only sign 2 four-star receivers instead of 5 to go with our 4-5 other four-star receivers already on the roster!! why even field a team next year?? jesus. shut up.

as i said previously we had a top 10 class prior to taggart leaving, at which point it seemed all like all the -- ahem -- experts expected the class to fall somewhere between 10-20. last i saw, we finished, like, 16th. by ranking, it's far closer to being one of our better classes ever than being an unmitigated disaster. 

the freak outs, man. grown men losing their shit over 18-year olds. as far as i'm concerned, yesterday simply marked the 4,583rd time we lost out to usc for a kid we wanted. if people can't get over losing to a school in a major metropolitan area by now, i'm surprised they're still able to function out in society.

2 hours ago, glduck said:

yesterday was a great reminder as to why i quit following recruiting. the various duck boards were in full meltdown mode. oh no we may only sign 2 four-star receivers instead of 5 to go with our 4-5 other four-star receivers already on the roster!! why even field a team next year?? jesus. shut up.

as i said previously we had a top 10 class prior to taggart leaving, at which point it seemed all like all the -- ahem -- experts expected the class to fall somewhere between 10-20. last i saw, we finished, like, 16th. by ranking, it's far closer to being one of our better classes ever than being an unmitigated disaster. 

the freak outs, man. grown men losing their shit over 18-year olds. as far as i'm concerned, yesterday simply marked the 4,583rd time we lost out to usc for a kid we wanted. if people can't get over losing to a school in a major metropolitan area by now, i'm surprised they're still able to function out in society.

ESPN had UO at 13th which would be the Ducks highest ever on ESPN, plus unlike past years, where skill players were the stars of the class, this time UO got some beef up front and some much-needed help at safety.

It all mostly means nothing outside of depth as players get injured, or wash out, or transfer, etc. etc but considering the Slick Willie Show in early December, I don't know how anyone can be upset at this class.  It's a freaking great class on paper and the second half of it was signed with UO having two grad assistants out recruiting because of holes in the permanent staff post-Willie and after the Mario hire.

As an aside, it doesn't sound like DJ Johnson will be eligible, which is a bit shitty considering when Lache Seastrunk left UO for the same reasoning, at least public reasoning, he got a waiver to play the next fall at Baylor.

51 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

They generally prefer players to transfer to the same state when transferring closer to home

That's stupid if that's the criteria.  It takes less time with traffic to drive or fly from Eugene to Sacramento than any of the SoCal schools and those are in-state.

I'm not saying it's the same situation, but it certainly is closer than Miami and affords him a much easier path to see his parents if he's in LA, San Diego, or Eugene.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/12/recruiting-wrap-grading-the-pac-12-classes-arizona-state-oregon-and-ucla-make-the-most-of-difficult-situations/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=pac-12&utm_medium=email

Wilner grades recruiting classes:

Arizona: B-

Arizona State: A-

Cal: C

Colorado: C+

Oregon: A-

Oregon State: B

Stanford: C
UCLA: A-

USC: A

Utah: B+

Washington: A