Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ExplorerSunDevil

Evaluating West Coast Conference Basketball

2 posts in this topic

My takes on the basketball programs within the WCC

Gonzaga: Mark Few is one of the best coaches in the country, in my opinion, Gonzaga has a great future still in front of it. I do wonder, however, if Gonzaga can and ever will get that 1st and elusive National Championship under Mark Few. This program is in great shape.

Saint Mary's:  Barring Randy Bennett suddenly making the dumbest move of his coaching career(leaving Saint Mary's) the Gaels figure to be at least top 5 in the WCC and an NCAA tournament participant at least every other year. This program is in good shape.

Brigham Young: Did anyone else here know that BYU is the 12th winningest program in all of college basketball? That kind of snuck up on me. Anyways, Dave Rose is a solid coach, but he has struggled to recruit ever since BYU jumped from the MWC to the WCC, notwithstanding somehow being able to beat Gonzaga at their best the last 2 or 3 years. This program is in good shape.

Santa Clara: The Broncos have a decent history. They have been to a Final Four, which is good to have in your history. The last 20 years have been forgettable though. Herb Sendek just concluded his first season and he actually took them to a winning record, not a bad start to his stint at SCU. This program is in average shape, but is going to get better in the next couple of years.

San Francisco: The Dons basketball program has wonderful history, maybe even the best history of any college hoops program in the bay area. That being said, its present isn't spectacular. USF has 0 NCAA tournament wins since 1980. USF had a good season under debuting head coach Kyle Smith who is attempting to rebuild this proud program. This program is in average shape, but I feel is going to get better in the next couple of years

Pepperdine: The Waves don't exactly have much hoops history, but they do have the potential financial backing to give if they ever finally decided they wanted to really compete strongly in the WCC and in college basketball overall. This program is in bad shape, but certainly has the funding it would need to lure a decent coach to Malibu.

Loyola Marymount, Pacific, San Diego and Portland: I feel that these 4 four programs just don't have that much upside right now. You would think that San Diego and Portland would have advantages by being one of just a few colleges in their owns city, but for some reason, its not. Even if a coach can come in a get some success at one of these 4 schools, they would probably leave soonafter for greener pastures. These 4 programs are in bad shape and there doesn't seem to be a much of a light at the end of the tunnel for this group. At least not yet, anyway.

terry porter was worth the risk for UP with his nba pedigree but there's just no momentum with that program. he's got an uphill climb. a player like calvin hermanson -- a big part of st. mary's current success -- flew under pac 12 radars but if memory serves he had no interest staying home because UP has been a mess for so long. these are the kids UP needs to start reeling in. pdx has some great talent, gotta start keeping the kids the pac 12 passes over home.