Lonzo Ball NCAA Violaton

PapaG

Lavar Ball is using Lonzo's image on the Big Baller website to market products and the NCAA says it's legal since the company was around prior to Lonzo enrolling at UCLA.  If this is the workaround, why wouldn't any top HS prospect's family start a T-Shirt line (or any company) prior to their son entering college, use their son to market the product, and boosters could just funnel money to the company along with the general public and nobody would know the difference?  I have no problem with the Balls doing this, btw, and hope other one-and-done families follow suit.

50 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Lavar Ball is using Lonzo's image on the Big Baller website to market products and the NCAA says it's legal since the company was around prior to Lonzo enrolling at UCLA.  If this is the workaround, why wouldn't any top HS prospect's family start a T-Shirt line (or any company) prior to their son entering college, use their son to market the product, and boosters could just funnel money to the company along with the general public and nobody would know the difference?  I have no problem with the Balls doing this, btw, and hope other one-and-done families follow suit.

I am pretty sure Nike and Addidas were around before Lonzo enrolled at UCLA as well. Just sayin...

I don't have a big problem with it, because I think college athletes should be able to make money off their image and from endorsements. It seems hugely hypocritical to me that coaches are allowed to do this but not players. Time to call college football and basketball what they are, professional leagues where everyone is allowed to make as much money as they can except the athletes participating in them.

Lavar's AAU team had  just one team. Most of them have multiple levels with multiple coaches. Lavar was basically it and was able to cash in on that as well.

The Lavar hype machine even got Lebron to comment on a comment Lavar made about himself.

Archived