mlb 2017

glduck

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/21/2017 at 10:19 AM, glduck said:

we just traded our organizational #2 prospect for a guy who has made two major league appearances in 3 seasons.

this is why being a mariner fan represents failure. 

I'm not nearly as negative about the deal. Ignore the last three weeks and most other people wouldn't be. If this trade it happened three weeks ago the Mariners would've been trading an outfielder with little defensive ability who was batting .202 in AAA ball.

The Mariners traded a player Who would not be starting for them anytime soon and plays a position where they have lots of bodies. They dealt a player from a position of strength to receive a player in a position where they were weak.  Every trade is a gamble, I don't see this move as exceedingly risky.

i find the trade itself a virtual wash as i don't think too terribly much of either player. the PCL is a notorious hitters league filled with tiny ballparks so i always question power numbers coming out of Tacoma. that said, in an ideal world an organization's second best prospect should net a player much higher than the caliber of marco gonzalez and that's my biggest complaint. we have a weak farm, and this trade is further evidence. that's what i meant by failure. most teams could package an elite organizational prospect with some filler and come back with sonny gray or one of the elite arms on the market. we come back with marco gonzalez.

15 minutes ago, glduck said:

i find the trade itself a virtual wash as i don't think too terribly much of either player. the PCL is a notorious hitters league filled with tiny ballparks so i always question power numbers coming out of Tacoma. that said, in an ideal world an organization's second best prospect should net a player much higher than the caliber of marco gonzalez and that's my biggest complaint. we have a weak farm, and this trade is further evidence. that's what i meant by failure. most teams could package an elite organizational prospect with some filler and come back with sonny gray or one of the elite arms on the market. we come back with marco gonzalez.

The problem is there's too many outfielders and too few pitchers in the league.  All other things being equal, Young Pitchers who can be controlled for multiple years have a much higher value.

i get what you mean about the weak farm system.  We needed something of higher value to get the pitching we needed.  I guess the option was to trade someone now starting in the lineup for a pitcher and then promote from farm system.

42 minutes ago, glduck said:

mariners reportedly hot after sonny gray. if our #2 prospect brought back a no-name reliever, i wonder if oakland would demand our entire AAA roster in exchange for gray.

I'm not sure why your so hard up about Davis.  Out OF is pretty stacked right now, I doubt he was getting a call up anytime soon.  And anyone who's paid attention knows our minor league is t worth a crap since Jack Z ran it into the ground.

On 7/20/2017 at 1:47 PM, MrBug708 said:

Speaking of mariners, the dodgers would need to go 14-1 to equal the 2001 M's. Not gonna happen

Dodgers now 2 games off the pace of the 2001 Mariners, who were 73-29 through 102 games.  Would have to win 12 straight to catch Mariners at 83-31 or 83-32 if they lose tonight.

1 hour ago, glduck said:

not a great return for oakland for sonny gray -- surprisingly. gray's got, like, 2.5 years of team control left, no?

damn yankees. 

I thought we got good value in return.  Gray is walking injury in the making.  The UCLA kid had tommy John but if he recovers, he should be really good.  The other two guys are probably starters by next season. 

Archived