mlb 2017

glduck

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

I think pre-injury, the A's win this deal, unless Gray really just needed a change of scenery. Since two of them are injured with fairly serious injuries, the jury is out.

Yeah, there's no way you can say the A's won this deal with the unknowns of injuries.  If the players come back no worse for the ware, I like the haul a lot.  The last time Kaprelian suffered a major injury, he came back throwing 97 and touching 99.  If he can still hit 97, he alone will be worth the price paid.  

intramural league call-up numero uno gives up 6 runs, the offense battles back, a taxed but efficient bullpen holds on for the win and we have a virtual 3-way tie for the final wild card spot (mariners, rays, royals).

as someone who still has nightmares of guys like jose vidro and adam kennedy batting clean-up on terrible line-ups it's still strange to see a seattle philosophy built around mashing the ball. it's like it's 1997 all over again.

although by saying that i hope i didn't call upon the ghost of bobby ayala.

3 hours ago, glduck said:

intramural league call-up numero uno gives up 6 runs, the offense battles back, a taxed but efficient bullpen holds on for the win and we have a virtual 3-way tie for the final wild card spot (mariners, rays, royals).

as someone who still has nightmares of guys like jose vidro and adam kennedy batting clean-up on terrible line-ups it's still strange to see a seattle philosophy built around mashing the ball. it's like it's 1997 all over again.

although by saying that i hope i didn't call upon the ghost of bobby ayala.

I'm going to the game Saturday.  I'm half expecting for there to be fan tryouts during BP for pitchers so I'm bringing my glove.

I wonder what Jamie Moyer is doing these days.

i'd bring andrew moore back. he ran into trouble when he saw guys the second/third time through the line-up, but he's got a variety of pitches and would make a nice short term* reliever. strengthen that 'pen, because rogue you are right if we can get our starters to the 5th inning or so we *may* be able to ride this thing out.

* i say short term because i know the organization sees him as a starter, and will likely have him in the rotation next season. but for now, trying to break a playoff drought... all hands on deck.

Fun MLB Oddity: the San Francisco Giants are required to keep the same terms of Pablo Sandoval's contract, even though the Red Sox are on the hook for the cost. Which means that Pablo has a no-trade clause that includes...the San Francisco Giants.
Vince, Pt. II is offline Report Post  

On 8/9/2017 at 1:22 PM, glduck said:

i'd bring andrew moore back. he ran into trouble when he saw guys the second/third time through the line-up, but he's got a variety of pitches and would make a nice short term* reliever. strengthen that 'pen, because rogue you are right if we can get our starters to the 5th inning or so we *may* be able to ride this thing out.

* i say short term because i know the organization sees him as a starter, and will likely have him in the rotation next season. but for now, trying to break a playoff drought... all hands on deck.

this didn't take long to blow up in my face. moore inherits a 5-1 lead tonight and promptly takes a massive dump on any lingering playoff hopes. 

unfortunate to hear the boo birds at safeco. yes, this series was an implosion. but frankly, it was a long time coming. this whole machine was held together with duct tape, and Paxton going on the DL was the final straw. 0 of the 5 projected rotation starters are available right now. offense can only take a team so far, gotta pitch.

Archived