mlb 2017

glduck

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the magic of 88, Gibby's walk-off, Orel's scoreless inning streak, and reading "Out of the Blue" by Hershiser, I became a fan.  

Then 28 years happened, and I stopped being a fan.

I'm worried if I take my dodger blue out of the back of the closet and put it back on, I'm basically clinching the World Series for the Yankees.

2 minutes ago, Orange said:

After the magic of 88, Gibby's walk-off, Orel's scoreless inning streak, and reading "Out of the Blue" by Hershiser, I became a fan.  

Then 28 years happened, and I stopped being a fan.

I'm worried if I take my dodger blue out of the back of the closet and put it back on, I'm basically clinching the World Series for the Yankees.

Fuck the Yankees.

it's weird, but the yankees are the young/fun team in the playoffs right now. 

i'm glad the rest of the baseball world now knows who jose altuve is. seems like he's been the ultimate mariner killer the last three years, but he should be receiving a well-earned AL MVP award here shortly.

my dad was born in LA and moved to oregon in high school. eventually he dropped his usc, laker, and ram interest for the ducks, blazers, and seahawks, but he never let go of his dodger fandom. he'd have loved this season more than anything. 

I think this series goes six games max.  The Dodgers are the better team, they have the 250 million payroll, their lineup is just as good, their pitching is much better.  However, the biggest reason the Dodgers are going to win easily is because Houston has an embarrassingly awful bullpen.  Giles is a big-time choke artist, Hinch clearly doesn't trust Gregerson and that probably has something to do with his 4.57 ERA.  Devenski is good and he had a clutch strikeout last night but they've used him heavily in the postseason.  I wonder how much more he can give.  His ERA is not good durin gthe postseason.  

I think the Dodger bullpen will rebound but the Astro bullpen has a serious problem.  The Astros will need to maintain comfortable leads in order to win games in this series and I don't see that happening against this Dodger team. 

if the dodgers are going to win i think it's got to go 7. last night was *enormous* for houston because lest i be mistaken the Series is a 2-3-2 and now the 'stros get 3 in a ballpark they're 6-0 in this postseason. they've got a great homefield advantage. for LA to win in 6 they've got to take 2/3 in minute maid and i'm just not sure they can do it. no question LA's got the bullpen advantage, but so did the yanks. 

i foresee the dodgers stealing one on the road but houston being up 3-2 when the series goes back to LA. from there, it's anyone's guess.  

Houston is 6-0 at home and until last night, the dodgers hasn't lost at home either. I'm worried about Houston's bats waking at the worst time and Darvish is going to be ready or famine, but I'm hoping we get to their pitchers first. Roberts blinked first last night and it cost him. I do think the Dodgers need game 3 just to stop momentum

The 250 million dollar payroll is kind of a non starter. The dodgers used the money for flexibility, not to buy championships with it. The management isnt going after crazy contracts in FA and most of that money is dead payroll 

30 minutes ago, glduck said:

if the dodgers are going to win i think it's got to go 7. last night was *enormous* for houston because lest i be mistaken the Series is a 2-3-2 and now the 'stros get 3 in a ballpark they're 6-0 in this postseason. they've got a great homefield advantage. for LA to win in 6 they've got to take 2/3 in minute maid and i'm just not sure they can do it. no question LA's got the bullpen advantage, but so did the yanks. 

i foresee the dodgers stealing one on the road but houston being up 3-2 when the series goes back to LA. from there, it's anyone's guess.  

Houston's homefield advantage crossed my mind but while they are 6-0, I think the Dodgers are far better than any team they have faced so far.  It took everything for Houston to squeak out a win when they had Verlander going against Hill.   Houston will be on the wrong side of every pitching matchup going forward until Verlander starts again.   Kershaw is an almost guaranteed win now that he has righted his postseason wrongs.  This means that Houston has to win both of the other matchups and those are Darvish vs McCullers/Morton and Wood/McCullers/Morton.  I think Darvish has a very good chance of beating whoever Hinch decides to go with of those two.  

I could be wrong, but I just see too many ways the Dodgers can win and not enough ways for Houston to win on a particular night.  

Also, I honestly don't quite understand homefield advatange in baseball.  It's not like crowd noise can cause a false start or prevent you from properly communicating a play.  Sure there are slight differences in each ballpark but it doesn't seem to be enough deal to matter.  I say this knowing that Houston just played a series in which they won every home game and lost every away game. 

On 10/26/2017 at 12:32 PM, All Hail said:

Houston's homefield advantage crossed my mind but while they are 6-0, I think the Dodgers are far better than any team they have faced so far.  It took everything for Houston to squeak out a win when they had Verlander going against Hill.   Houston will be on the wrong side of every pitching matchup going forward until Verlander starts again.   Kershaw is an almost guaranteed win now that he has righted his postseason wrongs.  This means that Houston has to win both of the other matchups and those are Darvish vs McCullers/Morton and Wood/McCullers/Morton.  I think Darvish has a very good chance of beating whoever Hinch decides to go with of those two.  

I could be wrong, but I just see too many ways the Dodgers can win and not enough ways for Houston to win on a particular night.  

Also, I honestly don't quite understand homefield advatange in baseball.  It's not like crowd noise can cause a false start or prevent you from properly communicating a play.  Sure there are slight differences in each ballpark but it doesn't seem to be enough deal to matter.  I say this knowing that Houston just played a series in which they won every home game and lost every away game. 

I think it has more to do with the psychological edge of being able to win the game immediately with your bats, as opposed to needing 3 outs on defense to finish off an opponent.  Only in baseball do the rules of the game on some level take their dictates from which team is home vs. away.  When you know exactly how many runs you need, you can scheme to move runners.  Otherwise, if you just want to get as many runs as possible in the hopes it's enough, you're not given that strategic latitude.

Archived