let's all recognize hockey for the next two months

glduck

it's back by minimal demand: a hockey thread. now that the pesky regular season is out of the way, it's time for playoff hockey! who got the #1 seed in the east? how did my bandwagon sharks finish? NOBODY KNOWS! and i mean that, truly. the nhl has adopted a new playoff format (apparently four years ago?) and nobody knows how it works. best guess is that the nhl feeds a bunch of data into a computer and it spits out where teams need to go.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/4/13/15289096/nhl-playoffs-format-bracket-stanley-cup

the sharks are a 3 seed in a pod with the 2nd seeded edmonton oilers, and the winner of this series will play the winner of gordon bombay's first seeded mighty ducks of anaheim and the calgary flames, who are the Wild-Card 1. how do you become a wild card in the playoffs? i have no idea, but i'll roll with it.

sharks won game 1 on the road in OT. 

Go Sharks!  Didn't watch a single game of regular season hockey for the same reason I don't watch women's basketball but playoff hockey is another sport entirely.  It takes approximately 3 minutes of playoff hockey and I'm hooked until the Sharks lose.  The Sharks spotted Edmonton a 2-0 lead but still won 3-2.  Apparently I didn't need to watch the regular season because the team still has the same players and plays the same style of hockey, which is controlling the puck for as long as possible until the opponent is completely exhausted.  Edmonton is yet another team that looks like they can skate circles around the Sharks and did for the first 20 minutes.  But the Sharks are massive and play a mean and physical brand of hockey that wore them down.  I think the Sharks had the puck for 16 of the final 20 minutes, which is pretty crazy.  

Yeah, Sharks are sucking.  Their usual strategy of beating the other team into submission is not working so far.  Edmonton is a much faster team with tons of talent at the skill positions.  Hopefully those bruises start developing soon or the Sharks are going to get destroyed by the more talented team with better skaters. 

Archived