Sign in to follow this  
Guest QuackAttack

3 Out-of-the-Box Ideas

Guest QuackAttack

In an effort to close the revenue gap to the B1G and SEC, I think the PAC can expand its network, exposure, and revenue opportunities with 3 fairly straightforward moves that fall short of actual expansion of the conference membership:

1) Affiliate with newly-independent Hawaii and still-independent BYU. Games in Hawaii give PAC schools the valuable scheduling flexibility of both the 13th game and the Week 0 exemption. If each PAC school were to play Hawaii every other year and at Hawaii once in four years, the PAC could add 3 new Week 0 games per year. (this would also give Hawaii a strong foundation to flee the MWC). Week 0 games can be valuable because they are the nation's first opportunity for live college football after 8 long months since the previous bowl season. So, that's 3 new games with great TV ratings to the PAC inventory.

PAC schools already play plenty of games against the Cougars and these games usually grab decent TV ratings. And, both BYU and Hawaii are willing to play PAC schools at every opportunity they get, likely including occasional neutral-ste games in Australia and Vegas (see #2 below). Include Hawaii and BYU in the PAC bowl lineup. This would allow the PAC to add the Hawaii bowl and one other bowl (in Texas? - see #2 below), expanding the PAC reach into new markets.

But, the way to really monetize this is to require BYU and Hawaii to grant to the PAC their media rights. Of course, the PAC would pay BYU and Hawaii for these rights, but the payouts would not equate to a full share of PAC media revenue, because neither is a PAC member; but, the value of 12 or more additional games to the PAC inventory would be substantial. Plus, BYU and Hawaii can fill many of the PAC's late kickoff and weeknight commitments. 

You would add at least 12 solid games of inventory, which would bring $25-30M+ value to the PAC. Pay each of BYU and Hawaii about $6-7M and you still net each PAC school at least $1M in additional revenue plus the revenue from the 13th game and the Week 0 opportunities - the only commitment is a game in Hawaii once every 4 years and the occasional game against BYU (which half the conference is doing regardless).

2) Annual PAC games versus Texas and Oklahoma, and frequent games against TCU, SMU, Rice, Houston or neutral-site games against other Big 12 schools in DFW and Houston (and Vegas - see #3 below). Clearly the best PAC expansion is with Texas and Oklahoma. So, foster the relationship now. Plus, get the PAC brand and member schools into DFW and Houston markets often and the chance to develop some rivalries with Texas, Oklahoma, and other possible expansion targets. Then, when Texas and Oklahoma are looking in earnest at greener pastures, the relationship is already there and the PAC has brand awareness in the key Texas markets. 

If scheduled strategically, each PAC school would only play in Texas once every 3 or 4 years, but 2 or 3 PAC teams would be present each year in the key expansion markets. 

3) Annual kickoff game and CCG in the new Vegas stadium. The Big 12 schools, BYU, and Hawaii would be the frequent partners for the kickoff matchups. These moves help to better deliver the Las Vegas market and an international stage to the PAC, without having to do anything too drastic...like add UNLV. 

We are falling further and further behind.  How could the SEC Network be worth nore than 10x what our network is worth!?  Their tier 1 media rights aren't worth 10x more than ours, not even close.  The case against Larry Scott and his inability to grow revenue and value at an industry standard rate couldn't be more obvious. 

The SEC Network's average monthly subscriber fee is $0.74, according to SNL Kagan's most recent data, a good chunk more than the Big Ten ($0.43) and Pac-12 ($0.27). That average monthly subscriber fee, which takes into account in-market and out-of-market prices, makes the SEC Network the fifth-most expensive sports network for consumers behind ESPN ($7.21), NFL Network ($1.39), FS1 ($1.15) and ESPN2 ($0.90).

"SEC Network is strongly positioned because of interest in the content and the significant audience, partly because of the approach they've taken with the business model having ESPN fully invested in getting it distributed," said Dan Shevlick, vice president of Sports Media Advisors.

Utah is only one vote out of 12, but I can't see many scenarios where Utah is on board with elevating BYU in any way. Giving them any P5 legitimacy, especially via the PAC-12 is elevating our biggest in-state competition. Competition that's already fierce while also fending off the other 11 PAC teams recruiting here more frequently. The recruiting pool in the state is limited and I can't see why we'd want to give up the local catbird seat.

When the expansion train came in 2010, and we hitched a ride and they didn't, it definitely put some distance between the two institutions. Now with our foot on their throat I'm not sure why we'd help them up and dust them off. The extra $$$ would have to be a TON, and even then, I'm not sure it's worth it.

2 hours ago, FountainofUte said:

Utah is only one vote out of 12, but I can't see many scenarios where Utah is on board with elevating BYU in any way. Giving them any P5 legitimacy, especially via the PAC-12 is elevating our biggest in-state competition. Competition that's already fierce while also fending off the other 11 PAC teams recruiting here more frequently. The recruiting pool in the state is limited and I can't see why we'd want to give up the local catbird seat.

When the expansion train came in 2010, and we hitched a ride and they didn't, it definitely put some distance between the two institutions. Now with our foot on their throat I'm not sure why we'd help them up and dust them off. The extra $$$ would have to be a TON, and even then, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I can see Utah being forced to go along with it from some of our corrupt state politicians, but I don't ever see any of the California schools tolerating them. It is a non starter. And the entire premise that adding two schools that would be bottom feeders and would bring no large new television markets would elevate the conference is pretty ridiculous.  

On 5/19/2017 at 5:47 PM, Jalapeno said:

Hawaii is going indy for real?  Man I really disconnected from college sports this year.

No, they are still apart of the MWC with no intention of leaving.

Guest Doug

Moving the CCG to Vegas is such a huge no brainer I would be shocked if it doesn’t happen. And the current contract with Levi’s ends just as the new LV stadium comes online. Cheap abundant hotels, direct flights from everywhere, destination that people will travel to and make a long weekend out of.  Completely obvious

the opening kickoff game idea is a really strong one too.  Tie that in with the CCG contract and guarantee a Pac team goes every year. I would leave the other slot more open ended though.  You should be able to attract some really good teams to come to a brand new stadium in Las Vegas. Should be able to get Big 10 and Big 12 teams easily, but expect you could attract ACC and SEC too for big time matchups. 

3 minutes ago, Guest Doug said:

Moving the CCG to Vegas is such a huge no brainer I would be shocked if it doesn’t happen. And the current contract with Levi’s ends just as the new LV stadium comes online. Cheap abundant hotels, direct flights from everywhere, destination that people will travel to and make a long weekend out of.  Completely obvious

the opening kickoff game idea is a really strong one too.  Tie that in with the CCG contract and guarantee a Pac team goes every year. I would leave the other slot more open ended though.  You should be able to attract some really good teams to come to a brand new stadium in Las Vegas. Should be able to get Big 10 and Big 12 teams easily, but expect you could attract ACC and SEC too for big time matchups. 

Agree completely.

Totally don't see the Pac-12 ever swallowing BYU.  And what does Hawaii offer?  This is all about TV dollars, not 4:00 am eastern time zone games.  Any additions have to add more to the per-school revenue of the current Pac-12.  That means a lot more than a $30 million increase in what the TV contracts currently offer.

You want to think out of the box?  How about a merger with the Big Ten for a coast-to-coast conference with athletic and academic heavyweights?  If this were done right before TV renegotations, there would be power in the combined conference that would totally outshine the regional SEC.  You could sort four divisions something like the ones there are now.  Maybe Texas and Oklahoma would want to joint the party to have something like a $80 million per school TV payout.  A couple of cross-over games out of your division, and we'd have something.

We need to think big.  Really big.  Not a move to territory already mined (Salt Lake City) or adding teams that weaken rather than strengthen our football profile.

I don't see Hawaii or BYU adding anything to the value of the Pac-12 Network. Hawaii is a shambles; BYU is BYU.

The Vegas title game is a great idea, and if we could get Notre Dame to play another Pac-12 team or two every year, that would be helpful. But short of Texas, there are no big fish remaining west of the Mississippi.

I'm not sure how that term is defined, but I think it's partially related to the number of masters and doctorates offered? Eight of the 12 schools in the conference are AAU members, but again, I'm not sure what the criteria is.

31 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

I'm not sure how that term is defined, but I think it's partially related to the number of masters and doctorates offered? Eight of the 12 schools in the conference are AAU members, but again, I'm not sure what the criteria is.

http://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/classification_descriptions/basic.php

Carnegie Doctoral Universities classifications are:

• R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest research activity
  • R2: Doctoral Universities – Higher research activity
  • R3: Doctoral Universities – Moderate research activity

I believe every University in the Pac 12 is R1.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this