Wilner Pac 12 Network $

KUGRDON

What's the answer? Will we always be behind because the PAC-12 region doesn't have the overall population or general interest in college football to keep up with the other eastern and midwestern P5s?

I think the key to closing the gap is:

1) Closely aligning with the Big 10 (either a literal merger or a very strategic dotted-line alignment).

2) Finding a lucrative media deal with a non-traditional media outlet like Netflix or Twitter.

Pac-12 is doing better than I thought.

Next step is to get P12N on the likes of Playstation Vue, DirecTV Now, Amazon Prime, etc.

I have believed that the P12 is better off than the other P5 conferences due to 100% ownership of the P12N.  Given that Amazon is doing Thursday Night NFL games, there is certainly a market for the P12N.  Just imagine how much it will cost the B1G schools to buy out Fox Sports' 51% or 49% share of the BTN.  Same for the SEC and ESPN's ownership of the SEC Network.  Good luck to those schools justifying hundreds of millions of dollars to their state legislatures.

I have been harsh on Larry Scott the last couple of years and I think now is a good time to back off.

Sling TV offers the Pac 12 network and is available on most platforms those other services are on.  I prefer it because I can get my local RSN NBC sports bay area without getting ESPNor $25, and get the Pac 12 network for $5 more.  It's great and $30 is less than all the other services.

Personally, I think that rather than having a two way package, the Pac 12 should have a four way package like the NFL does.  Fox and CBS both need content in 'Window 4' just like ESPN does, and NBC also has a national network.

The packages should be exclusively for national broadcast networks.  The Pac 12 network should be the only cable network to get Pac 12 football that isn't a national broadcast.

7 hours ago, potrerosf said:

The packages should be exclusively for national broadcast networks.  The Pac 12 network should be the only cable network to get Pac 12 football that isn't a national broadcast.

That could be what the next media rights deal is like.

Archived