Weed Thread

Orange

Outta the shadows, baby.  I know some of you are smokers, even if you won't admit it, and all of the Pac-12 states have legalized marijuana medically, to some degree.  Oregon, Washington, California and Colorado all will have recreational marijuana in 2018.  The vast majority of people in the U.S. favor decriminalization at minimum, and legal recreational use is favored by 60%.  

This is a boom waiting to happen.  One of the things I'm learning in the industry is that the venture capitalists -- despite the risks of RICO prosecutions and the banking complications and the restrictions on vertical integration for a single owner -- are POURING millions into this.  It will be the next great economic boom of the 21st century.  Anyone with misconceptions about marijuana oughta get set right, or find themselves stuck in the past.

As for the plant itself, and its use, it does not cause people to go crazy (Don, that's for you), it doesn't cause ill health effects for the most part (some heavy users could see lung issues, long term, but nothing on the level with cigarettes), and it has a seemingly endless list of therapeutic effects for arthritis sufferers, anxiety sufferers, people undergoing chemo, people with appetite issues, etc.  It's also been proven to be a tool against the opioid epidemic, not a factor exacerbating that epidemic.

Got questions?  Want to know the difference between hemp and cannabis, CBD and THC?  Ask here.  Interested in trying marijuana but have some nagging doubts?  Ask away.  I'm officially becoming an expert on this issue.  (Emphasis on "becoming")

Support Jeff Sessions' insistence that we ramp up the war on drugs and destroy an already-billion-dollar industry in multiple states?  Perhaps you need to be educated.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Orange said:

Outta the shadows, baby.  I know some of you are smokers, even if you won't admit it, and all of the Pac-12 states have legalized marijuana medically, to some degree.  Oregon, Washington, California and Colorado all will have recreational marijuana in 2018.  The vast majority of people in the U.S. favor decriminalization at minimum, and legal recreational use is favored by 60%.  

Unfortunately, I don't believe that this is true.

10 hours ago, Nakedmolerat said:

When is state law going to change so medical patients can't get fired from their jobs for a dirty UA? That's pretty fucked. 

Need good quantification studies on what levels do not impair decisions/function and then adopted into guidelines.  Some professions would never be open regardless of legality.

Also, only issue is people under 25 (or is it 28?)....regular use can change brain structure and function.  So I think a minimum age should be set similar to tobacco but above that age range.

And I'm all for decriminalizing it.  Makes no effing sense.

Org, you are including industrial hemp in this thread as well?

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/hemp-101-what-is-hemp-whats-it-used-for-and-why-is-it-illegal

One story I read that interests related to the timber industry and chemical industry are behind the prohibition of industrial hemp in this country.  Had that law or act (can't recall what it was) not gone into effect, it's very possible we would have had much more forest land than what we have today.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashoka/2013/05/29/industrial-hemp-a-win-win-for-the-economy-and-the-environment/#1380fbab289b

We would be able to decrease our reliance on China & Europe if we really grew industrial hemp in the masses again.  Hemp does not require that much water and would be perfect in Colorado's climate and the rest of the west.  Like Org stated, there is a lot of money to be made.

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/what-is-hemps-current-status-in-the-united-states

The 2014 Federal Farm Bill allowed for industrial hemp production in states that allows for it.  

I still think smoking weed & eating weed isn't such a good idea but to throw away the promise of industrial hemp over the THC is really short sighted.  Sorry if I hijacked this thread with industrial hemp but it is something I bring up when people from midwestern states criticize Colorado for passing Amendment 64.  Take Charlotte's Web for instance.

I actually completely agree with you, Jalapeno. The industrial capabilities of hemp are enormous. Basically, anything you can make from oil, you can make from hemp, including fuel and plastics.

I'm sure petrochemical companies had a lot to do with making hemp illegal, but William Randolph Hearst also gets a big chunk of credit. He crusaded against "reefer madness" in the 30s through his many newspapers, which were of course supplied with paper from forests and mills that Hearst also owned.

Personally, I like to end my day with a dab sandwiched between layers of leaf. A few tokes, turn on the PS4, and the stress melts away. 

2 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

I actually completely agree with you, Jalapeno. The industrial capabilities of hemp are enormous. Basically, anything you can make from oil, you can make from hemp, including fuel and plastics.

I'm sure petrochemical companies had a lot to do with making hemp illegal, but William Randolph Hearst also gets a big chunk of credit. He crusaded against "reefer madness" in the 30s through his many newspapers, which were of course supplied with paper from forests and mills that Hearst also owned.

Personally, I like to end my day with a dab sandwiched between layers of leaf. A few tokes, turn on the PS4, and the stress melts away. 

That was what I was referring to.

Conservatives really need to rally behind industrial hemp.  This might actually help slow or even reverse the declining rural populations of the US and help the rural economy.  Even the energy industry is moving towards clean energy because they do see the writing on the wall for petroleum.  Speaking of clean energy in the state of Colorado, Xcel (electric utility) has a state mandated goal of 30% energy sources being renewable by 2020 and they have consistently met past yearly goals for that.  Heck CO will be at about 41% by 2021.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2017/05/30/xcel-says-company-wide-carbon-emissions-down.html

Think about it...rural America leading the way with hemp and renewable energy.  I hope we are able to maintain our push towards clean energy despite withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accord.  Plus using industrial hemp instead of wood for paper and many things would also help the environment.

I'm curious what common things are made out of hemp?  We ought to use this thread as a way to inform one each other about hemp & CBD.  Education will help people look past the negatives of weed and be more accepted by society in the US.

23 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

That was about the most cogent post jalapeño has ever made.  Did he copy it from someplace?

http://www.thecannabist.co/

The Denver Post has been running articles for the last few years from The Cannabist.  Been full of information for me.

MORE LINKS:

https://www.hempbasics.com/shop/hemp-information

http://www.greeleytribune.com/news/industrial-hemp-gaining-traction-in-colorados-agriculture-scene-as-viable-crop/

Click on the Greeley Tribune thread.  I lived in ultra conservative Weld County and seeing this change towards a plant is nothing short of amazing.

I remember a story from about 30 years ago, in which a farmer in Puyallup planted acres of hemp to replenish the soil, which had been depleted of nutrients by years of alfalfa crops. He was arrested and the crop was destroyed, but he made a real point. Growing hemp is far superior as a method for restoring soils than simply letting them lie fallow. 

I have a friend who is a total right winger. She has one of those embarrassing Facebook pages with all sorts of Bruin-esque false memes, but she's done a complete 180 on marijuana in recent years, mostly because because her husband has been in chemotherapy and found great relief from pot. 

The change is coming, albeit slowly.

On 6/19/2017 at 10:47 AM, Mano said:

Unfortunately, I don't believe that this is true.

Utah legalized hemp for therapeutic use (non-psychoactive substance in the marijuana plant).  Basically, if you have CBD oils for your epilepsy, you can avoid being arrested.  But you're right they're certainly not as progressive as any other Pac-12 state.

20 hours ago, btlincec said:

Not too steal thunder, but I like to combine dabbing with loose leaf. Smoke a bowl gauge how high I am then dab accordingly.

Orange?

I'll defer to you, I've never dabbed.  Cool dance craze?

(like I said, becoming an expert).  My expertise in the law and business side of things is increasing much faster than actual use.

18 hours ago, Chile_Ute said:

Need good quantification studies on what levels do not impair decisions/function and then adopted into guidelines.  Some professions would never be open regardless of legality.

Also, only issue is people under 25 (or is it 28?)....regular use can change brain structure and function.  So I think a minimum age should be set similar to tobacco but above that age range.

And I'm all for decriminalizing it.  Makes no effing sense.

I've never read that someone aged 25 (much less 28) could see a change in brain structure or function from marijuana use.  I could be wrong tho.  The minimum age range is 21 or over in Oregon.

The problem with UAs for marijuana is that it could snag somebody who was never, ever, under the influence of THC while on the job.  Regular pot users will piss a positive UA for up to three weeks (obviously not the case with alcohol).  That's simply not fair to people who use it as medicine.

Absent evidence of impairment on the job, those tests should be banned.  Will they?  Who knows.

44 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

I remember a story from about 30 years ago, in which a farmer in Puyallup planted acres of hemp to replenish the soil, which had been depleted of nutrients by years of alfalfa crops. He was arrested and the crop was destroyed, but he made a real point. Growing hemp is far superior as a method for restoring soils than simply letting them lie fallow. 

I have a friend who is a total right winger. She has one of those embarrassing Facebook pages with all sorts of Bruin-esque false memes, but she's done a complete 180 on marijuana in recent years, mostly because because her husband has been in chemotherapy and found great relief from pot. 

The change is coming, albeit slowly.

Roger Stone is among those who cast his lot in with the architects of the war on drugs under Nixon, and now is among the leading activists driving full legalization of hemp and cannabis.  It crosses a lot of ideological lines.

4 hours ago, Orange said:

Utah legalized hemp for therapeutic use (non-psychoactive substance in the marijuana plant).  Basically, if you have CBD oils for your epilepsy, you can avoid being arrested.  But you're right they're certainly not as progressive as any other Pac-12 state.

According to The Cannabist, it might take Utah sometime to join the ranks: http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/06/20/utah-medical-marijuana-research/81587/

5 hours ago, Orange said:

I've never read that someone aged 25 (much less 28) could see a change in brain structure or function from marijuana use.  I could be wrong tho.  The minimum age range is 21 or over in Oregon.

The problem with UAs for marijuana is that it could snag somebody who was never, ever, under the influence of THC while on the job.  Regular pot users will piss a positive UA for up to three weeks (obviously not the case with alcohol).  That's simply not fair to people who use it as medicine.

Absent evidence of impairment on the job, those tests should be banned.  Will they?  Who knows.

I'll try to find the paper.  Honestly there have been mixed longitudinal results but consistent findings when heavy use begins in adolescent years vs over the age of 25.

As far as testing, we need quantitative results that correlate with impairment.  Protects the public and users on both fronts.  This will help avoid punishment from a positive UA but the person having no limitations at the time.

I think it would actually open the door to more legalization across the country more quickly....but that's just opinion.

Archived