NBA 2017-18 Thread

PapaG

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people keep wondering if two guys who are at their best while dominating the ball can coexist, but i'm wondering more how chris paul fits into d'antoni's system. houston had a bunch of young guns who could run up and down the floor to make it all work last year, now a bunch of them are gone and halfcourt afficianado chris paul has taken their place.

Swapping out Rubio for Teague was brilliant.  Teague has already shown he can be a very good facilitator on a talented team.  He can't get his own shot but he can run a team and throw lobs.  

Also, the Warriors signed curry to the supermax, paying him an NBA record 40.25 mil per year.  This means that the 3 highest paid players in their sport are all in California (Curry, Kershaw, Carr) and two of them are in Oakland.  California income tax wins again! 

9 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Danny Ainge is either terrified of "losing" a trade or just thinking everyone is going to give him the T-Wolves Garnett trade deal and is holding out.

Reports are that he offered 4 1st rounders but Indiana wanted him out of the east.  What can you do?

alright after most of the big moves have been made i see it like this:

west

tier 1 golden state

tier 2 san antonio, houston, oklahoma city

tier 3 nuggets, blazers, clippers, wolves, grizzlies (no specific order)

tier 4 jazz, pelicans, mavs, lakers, kings, suns (no specific order)

barring two major gsw injuries, there will be no one else jumping into tier 1, even if the spurs have one of their 65-win seasons. but tier 2 looks a lot stronger next year than last year. the spurs are still a viable 60-win threat, i have questions about chris paul joining the d'antoni system BUT it's also hard to imagine a team adding chris paul and getting worse -- you know? they'll figure it out. and paul george may not be KD but he's ridiculously good and he should fit in very well next to westbrook. i don't think okc will be quite as good as when the KD/westbrook train was when healthy, but that's a good one-year experiment presti has put together.

tier 3 teams all look solid to the point where the 8th seed should finish a lot closer to 50 wins that last year's 8th seed (portland, 41-41), and you'll notice that there are 9 teams in the top 3 tiers. a very good western team is going to be left out of the playoffs this year. the blazers are still the second youngest team in the nba despite returning a core that's played together for two full seasons now, plus they were something like 12-3 with nurkic last year. they're in cap hell and don't really have the means to truly compete with the elite, but hopefully continuity matters. the clippers are going to take a big step backwards whereas the wolves should finally take a step forward with teague and butler joining wiggins and anthony-towns. hard not to like the milsap/jokic frontcourt in denver, and the grizz still have conley and gasol. 

tier 4, i could be off on the jazz, gobert is still one of the better big men in the nba, but rubio is a big step down from hill and no one they may be able to bring back from boston in the proposed sign and trade is going to be in hayward's stratosphere. i can make cases for the pelicans, mavs, and suns being better than last year but i just don't see the playoffs for any of them. lakers are going to suck for one more year, get another high lotto pick, then sign george and probably another star.

east

tier 1 boston, cleveland

tier 2 raptors, wizards, bucks

tier 3 hawks, sixers, heat, pistons, hornets

tier 4 knicks, nets, pacers, bulls, magic

while the east can at least provide a little intrigue regarding its eventual champion, it's also a 2-team conference and everything prior to the ECF is going to be utterly pointless. i think boston can absolutely knock off the cavs this year; cleveland just seems wobbly to me. maybe i buy into the lebron-is-looking-to-leave conspiracy. don't know. but the rest of the conference is hot garbage, comparatively. 

oh, gotcha. in that case, they'll have lonzo and hopefully a maturing ingram and clarkson to run alongside george. 

i know westbrook to LA is the hot rumor but if lonzo is as advertised, do you think magic would make a run at demarcus cousins? lonzo/george/cousins?

Your Atlanta Hawks

PG: Dennis Schroder / Malcolm Delaney
SG: Kent Bazemore / Marco Bellineli / Jamal Crawford / Deandre Bembry (/SF)
SF: Taurean Prince
PF: John Collins
C: Miles Plumlee / Diamond Stone
Unsigned FA's: Ersan Ilyasova (PF), Mike Muscala (C/PF), Kris Humpries (PF/C), Thabo Sefolosha (SF)
Unsigned rookies: Tyler Dorsey (SG) / Alpha Kaba

Archived