NBA 2017-18 Thread

PapaG

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2017 at 2:25 PM, glduck said:

and now, a post nobody will care about: gl muses about his favorite B team, the indiana pacers.

30-ish games in, did indiana get fleeced on the paul george trade?? victor oladipo: 24.8 ppg, 48% fg, 43% from 3. domantas sabonis: 12 pts/8 rebs a game in a crowded front court. call me biased, but with zero leverage indiana managed to get a 25 year old SG playing at an all-star level, and a 21 year old big man still learning the game but already productive. 

a year from now they're going to shed a lot of vet salary that doesn't fit in with the future of the organization: thad young, darren collison, al jefferson. they'll have an all star on the perimeter in oladipo, and a nice frontcourt rotation with myles turner, sabonis, and tj leaf. things looked cloudy after the team that kept coming up short against the heat was broken up, but this has not been a bad rebuild. they're 18-14 right now, 4th in the east.

i'm trying to figure out how they could trade up to take trae young this june, but that seems unrealistic.

You didn't even mention Bothell WA's own Zach Lavine as a part of the Butler trade.  My brother lives in Bothell, and Zach is healthy again after his ACL tear.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 5:52 PM, MrBug708 said:

Spencer Dinwiddie turned into a nice NBA player

Yeah it's awesome to see that happening for a former Buff. B)

I think Derrick White will need that time to adjust to playing for the Spurs and an unfortunate injury to Andre Roberson rupturing his tendon playing for the Thunder.

1 hour ago, PapaG said:

Unexpected treat attending last night's Bulls-Blazers game with free tickets and expecting nothing out of it.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2018/01/cj_mccollums_amazing_50_points_in_29_minutes_leave.html

DU7Q-wZWkAA0NI8.jpg:large

Those performances are always so much more memoriable when you see them live.  I'll never forget spending about an hour of my life trying to convince my wife to go to a random Warriors game against the Kings because tickets were cheap.  She finally acquiesced and the first half was a snooze fest of ugly basketball.  Then, Klay Thompson decided to put together the most dominant quarter in NBA history and scored 37 points in one quarter.  The guy was shooting from all angles, fade aways, I think he only took 18 dribbles to score those 37 points.  To this day, it was the most amazing sports feat I've every seen live.  I'm glad you were able to witness CJ's amazing performance live. 

22 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Those performances are always so much more memoriable when you see them live.  I'll never forget spending about an hour of my life trying to convince my wife to go to a random Warriors game against the Kings because tickets were cheap.  She finally acquiesced and the first half was a snooze fest of ugly basketball.  Then, Klay Thompson decided to put together the most dominant quarter in NBA history and scored 37 points in one quarter.  The guy was shooting from all angles, fade aways, I think he only took 18 dribbles to score those 37 points.  To this day, it was the most amazing sports feat I've every seen live.  I'm glad you were able to witness CJ's amazing performance live. 

My buddy was at that Warrior game and had no real concept of how amazing that performance/record was. Had to break it down for him. Klay was not normal. 

I'll never forget being about 12 years old and seeing Gary Payton go OFF against USC for 58 points in a game.  It went into OT, and the Beavers won.  I think that may have been the day I decided I'd never cheer for another college program for as long as I lived.

Fuck you, Gary Payton.  

3 hours ago, All Hail said:

Coincidentally, the Klay game and last night's CJ game are the only two times as far back as was traced at basketball-reference.com (83-84) that a player has scored 50+ points in less than 30 minutes of play.  Klay scored 60, making it all the more remarkable!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&is_playoffs=N&age_min=0&age_max=99&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&c1stat=pts&c1comp=gt&c1val=50&c2stat=mp&c2comp=lt&c2val=30&order_by=pts

Since we are reminiscing about games we attended, I still recall this play from game I attended my first year in college like it was yesterday, even though it was for some random regular season game against Dallas over 30 years ago.

I'm enjoying this nostalgia.

The players I will most proudly tell my son about seeing live include Clyde the Glide, Manute Bol (just for the pure novelty, and also for the fact he had about 10 blocks in that game) and Barry Bonds, who dunked one in McCovey Cove while I was there back in 06 or 07.  That'd be like my pops telling me about Oscar Robertson, Wilt the Stilt and Mickey Mantle.

you guys have seen some good ones. my list is kind of lame, i was at autzen when andrew walter broke the then-pac 10 record for passing yards in a game (so not a fond memory, and this record has since been broken, so not even a notable one) and i was in the rose garden for game 4 against dallas several years ago, when brandon roy led that miraculous comeback to even the series 2-2. this game is fondly remembered by blazer fans because it was roy's last bout of greatness, but we ultimately lost the series in six, so non blazer fans likely don't even remember this.

This has morphed into an interesting topic (best live sports events seen in person). Made me think about my list. Some are a little obscure:

• Seahawks v. Niners NFC Championship Game (Sherman tipped interception to seal it)
  • UW @ Cal 2006: Marshawn Lynch cart ride game (not really a meaningful game except for the cart ride, and the subsequent bobblehead)
  • First ever MLS game 1996  San Jose Clash v. D.C. United: 1-0 Clash on Wynalda's late goal
  • USA v. Brazil World Cup Quarter Final 1994:  1-0 Brazil after Tab Ramos got an elbow to the temple from Leonardo
  • Jordan Payton Invitational Stanford 2010: Chris Solinsky breaks the American record in the 10K
  • Weltklasse Track Meet Zurich 1984: saw Evelyn Ashford run a WR in women's 100M in 10.76, and Joaquin Cruz barely miss a WR in the 800

Kind of a shit list, now that i look at it ... :mellow:

Archived