NBA 2017-18 Thread

PapaG

trae young -- 29.9 ppg, 9.3 assists, 1.8 steals, .448% from the floor, .393% from distance. leads the nation in scoring and assists. he's a volume shooter/scorer who is lighting up college hoops. other volume shooters/scorers from recent years:

1. steph curry -- nba star

2. jj redick -- serviceable nba starter

3. jimmer fredette -- playing in china

which career does trae young mimic?

i think the two bigs go off the board first -- ayton and bagley -- but if dallas gets that 3rd pick (currently projected, but ping pong balls...) i don't know if cuban would pass him up. nbadraft.net has young going 5th overall, but he seems right up cuban's alley. 

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, glduck said:

trae young -- 29.9 ppg, 9.3 assists, 1.8 steals, .448% from the floor, .393% from distance. leads the nation in scoring and assists. he's a volume shooter/scorer who is lighting up college hoops. other volume shooters/scorers from recent years:

1. steph curry -- nba star

2. jj redick -- serviceable nba starter

3. jimmer fredette -- playing in china

which career does trae young mimic?

i think the two bigs go off the board first -- ayton and bagley -- but if dallas gets that 3rd pick (currently projected, but ping pong balls...) i don't know if cuban would pass him up. nbadraft.net has young going 5th overall, but he seems right up cuban's alley. 

I don't see how Trae Young doesn't go #1.  This is now a PG league and how many bigs really live up to the hype?  Even the ones that do end up as glorfied stat stuffers that don't do much to impact the playoff race.  Take two of the best bigs in the league, put them on the same team, and you have a fringe playoff contender in the NO Pelicans.  Put a top 2 guard and a top 15 guard on the same team and you have an NBA Dynasty.  

Ayton and Bagley look like nice players but in the end, they won't be able to consistently impact the game when it counts -- like most big men.  If you have a chance to draft what looks like a 50/50 chance of being the next Steph Curry, you do it. 

cavs are certainly more athletic and should defend a whole lot better. it's amazing how far isaiah thomas' star has fallen the last 9 months, now the guy is a cap-clearing piece. 

everyone is saying this clears the way for lebron and paul george to los angeles. there were reports awhile back that lebron wanted no part of the lakers because of lavar ball, and it's amazing how little we've heard from lavar since those rumors surfaced. if magic johnson can stop tampering with every superstar in the league, lakers are going to have themselves a nice, veteran team next year (probably).

blazers traded noah vonleh to get under the luxury threshold yesterday. that blockbuster move will allow paul allen to pay no additional fees as the warriors or rockets sweep portland out of the first round.

11 hours ago, glduck said:

cavs are certainly more athletic and should defend a whole lot better. it's amazing how far isaiah thomas' star has fallen the last 9 months, now the guy is a cap-clearing piece. 

everyone is saying this clears the way for lebron and paul george to los angeles. there were reports awhile back that lebron wanted no part of the lakers because of lavar ball, and it's amazing how little we've heard from lavar since those rumors surfaced. if magic johnson can stop tampering with every superstar in the league, lakers are going to have themselves a nice, veteran team next year (probably).

blazers traded noah vonleh to get under the luxury threshold yesterday. that blockbuster move will allow paul allen to pay no additional fees as the warriors or rockets sweep portland out of the first round.

the new-look cavs looked *great* yesterday in boston. i know that nobody has had a chance to scout them yet, yada yada, but they've had, like, half a practice together as a team and went into the garden and royally spanked a celtic team operating at full strength. george hill was clearly going through the motions in sacramento, he looked much more like the player he was for indiana; tristan thompson looked energized for the first time all year; and not to hate on isaiah thomas too much, as he's proven himself in this league, but this might be the new definition of addition by subtraction. him in cleveland was just a bad fit all around.

Cleveland got taller, more athletic and much better on defense.  You can't trot out a bunch of old slower guys and have IT out there at the same time.  He is probably the worst defender in the NBA.  Brad ******ns is a genius with the way he was mostly able to hide him on defense last year.  

Lavar said that if the Lakers want to sign Lonzo, they need to sign Liangelo and Melo. Right. If I'm a team like the Nets or Hornets, I draft Liangelo for my second round pick and then offer Lonzo the minimum and make Lavar play ball. If he wants the Lakers to trade for Liangelo, I ask for 3 first round picks, publicly. Just stash Gelo in Europe and never recall him.

12 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Lavar said that if the Lakers want to sign Lonzo, they need to sign Liangelo and Melo. Right. If I'm a team like the Nets or Hornets, I draft Liangelo for my second round pick and then offer Lonzo the minimum and make Lavar play ball. If he wants the Lakers to trade for Liangelo, I ask for 3 first round picks, publicly. Just stash Gelo in Europe and never recall him.

lavar's quote is one of the great stream of consciousness rants i've heard in quite some time. by the end he was talking about something else entirely. a profoundly disturbed man. 

Don't look now but the Jazz have won 10 in a row.. 8 road wins in a row with wins over some very good teams. Wins over Golden State, @ Detroit,  @ Portland @Toronto, @ NO, @ San Antonio,(twice, one at home) . It will be 11 after tomorrow night over a horrible Phx team.. Making a push for the playoffs.. Seeds 4-8 are wide open.

Utah's December and January results were horrible with a shitload of back to backs and road games..  Good news, the Jazz only have 8 road games left.. Should be a nice chance to make a push.

37 minutes ago, utenation said:

Don't look now but the Jazz have won 10 in a row.. 8 road wins in a row with wins over some very good teams. Wins over Golden State, @ Detroit,  @ Portland @Toronto, @ NO, @ San Antonio,(twice, one at home) . It will be 11 after tomorrow night over a horrible Phx team.. Making a push for the playoffs.. Seeds 4-8 are wide open.

Utah's December and January results were horrible with a shitload of back to backs and road games..  Good news, the Jazz only have 8 road games left.. Should be a nice chance to make a push.

I was at the Portland game Sunday evening.  Utah is a better team without Rubio and with Jae Crowder on the court with Mitchell running the point.  Crowder abused poor Mo Harmless in the key part of that game where Utah extended their lead.  Hobert is such a defensive presence inside that if outside shots aren't falling, you're not beating this lineup right now.

We left with 8 minutes remaining and the Jazz up 25 and were home by 8:15 since it was a school night for the kids.

11 hours ago, PapaG said:

I was at the Portland game Sunday evening.  Utah is a better team without Rubio and with Jae Crowder on the court with Mitchell running the point.  Crowder abused poor Mo Harmless in the key part of that game where Utah extended their lead.  Hobert is such a defensive presence inside that if outside shots aren't falling, you're not beating this lineup right now.

We left with 8 minutes remaining and the Jazz up 25 and were home by 8:15 since it was a school night for the kids.

Disagree about Rubio. His numbers during our win streak have been off the charts and Utah has been boat racing teams offensively. He struggled with Utah’s system the first few months with a new team and new faces. He’s in a great rhythm right now but currently has a hip injury that he will probably try to heal through the All-star break.

Also, I believe you meant Gobert,  not Hobert. Agree with your take on his play.

54 minutes ago, utenation said:

Disagree about Rubio. His numbers during our win streak have been off the charts and Utah has been boat racing teams offensively. He struggled with Utah’s system the first few months with a new team and new faces. He’s in a great rhythm right now but currently has a hip injury that he will probably try to heal through the All-star break.

Also, I believe you meant Gobert,  not Hobert. Agree with your take on his play.

iPhone autocorrected Gobert/Go-Bear to Hobert and I missed it.  It also autocorrected Harkless to Harmless, but I left it on purpose as Harmless because it's appropriate for his style of play and it's my new name for him.

Archived