Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PapaG

NBA 2017-18 Thread

Recommended Posts

Since we are reminiscing about games we attended, I still recall this play from game I attended my first year in college like it was yesterday, even though it was for some random regular season game against Dallas over 30 years ago.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 9 when I saw Dennis Martinez throw a perfect game vs the Dodgers. Wish I could really appreciate more, though it was cool to see fans cheering for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm enjoying this nostalgia.

The players I will most proudly tell my son about seeing live include Clyde the Glide, Manute Bol (just for the pure novelty, and also for the fact he had about 10 blocks in that game) and Barry Bonds, who dunked one in McCovey Cove while I was there back in 06 or 07.  That'd be like my pops telling me about Oscar Robertson, Wilt the Stilt and Mickey Mantle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you guys have seen some good ones. my list is kind of lame, i was at autzen when andrew walter broke the then-pac 10 record for passing yards in a game (so not a fond memory, and this record has since been broken, so not even a notable one) and i was in the rose garden for game 4 against dallas several years ago, when brandon roy led that miraculous comeback to even the series 2-2. this game is fondly remembered by blazer fans because it was roy's last bout of greatness, but we ultimately lost the series in six, so non blazer fans likely don't even remember this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has morphed into an interesting topic (best live sports events seen in person). Made me think about my list. Some are a little obscure:

  • Seahawks v. Niners NFC Championship Game (Sherman tipped interception to seal it)
  • UW @ Cal 2006: Marshawn Lynch cart ride game (not really a meaningful game except for the cart ride, and the subsequent bobblehead)
  • First ever MLS game 1996  San Jose Clash v. D.C. United: 1-0 Clash on Wynalda's late goal
  • USA v. Brazil World Cup Quarter Final 1994:  1-0 Brazil after Tab Ramos got an elbow to the temple from Leonardo
  • Jordan Payton Invitational Stanford 2010: Chris Solinsky breaks the American record in the 10K
  • Weltklasse Track Meet Zurich 1984: saw Evelyn Ashford run a WR in women's 100M in 10.76, and Joaquin Cruz barely miss a WR in the 800

Kind of a shit list, now that i look at it ... :mellow:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

trae young -- 29.9 ppg, 9.3 assists, 1.8 steals, .448% from the floor, .393% from distance. leads the nation in scoring and assists. he's a volume shooter/scorer who is lighting up college hoops. other volume shooters/scorers from recent years:

1. steph curry -- nba star

2. jj redick -- serviceable nba starter

3. jimmer fredette -- playing in china

which career does trae young mimic?

i think the two bigs go off the board first -- ayton and bagley -- but if dallas gets that 3rd pick (currently projected, but ping pong balls...) i don't know if cuban would pass him up. nbadraft.net has young going 5th overall, but he seems right up cuban's alley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glduck said:

trae young -- 29.9 ppg, 9.3 assists, 1.8 steals, .448% from the floor, .393% from distance. leads the nation in scoring and assists. he's a volume shooter/scorer who is lighting up college hoops. other volume shooters/scorers from recent years:

1. steph curry -- nba star

2. jj redick -- serviceable nba starter

3. jimmer fredette -- playing in china

which career does trae young mimic?

i think the two bigs go off the board first -- ayton and bagley -- but if dallas gets that 3rd pick (currently projected, but ping pong balls...) i don't know if cuban would pass him up. nbadraft.net has young going 5th overall, but he seems right up cuban's alley. 

I don't see how Trae Young doesn't go #1.  This is now a PG league and how many bigs really live up to the hype?  Even the ones that do end up as glorfied stat stuffers that don't do much to impact the playoff race.  Take two of the best bigs in the league, put them on the same team, and you have a fringe playoff contender in the NO Pelicans.  Put a top 2 guard and a top 15 guard on the same team and you have an NBA Dynasty.  

Ayton and Bagley look like nice players but in the end, they won't be able to consistently impact the game when it counts -- like most big men.  If you have a chance to draft what looks like a 50/50 chance of being the next Steph Curry, you do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey, a trade:

lakers get isaiah thomas and channing frye, cavs get jordan clarkson and larry nance jr.

IT was wasted in cleveland, both sides needed to abort that marriage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Kinda amazed we got a 1st and expiring contracts 

And got rid of big contract.  Great preparatory move for Lakers.  Next summer will be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cavs are certainly more athletic and should defend a whole lot better. it's amazing how far isaiah thomas' star has fallen the last 9 months, now the guy is a cap-clearing piece. 

everyone is saying this clears the way for lebron and paul george to los angeles. there were reports awhile back that lebron wanted no part of the lakers because of lavar ball, and it's amazing how little we've heard from lavar since those rumors surfaced. if magic johnson can stop tampering with every superstar in the league, lakers are going to have themselves a nice, veteran team next year (probably).

blazers traded noah vonleh to get under the luxury threshold yesterday. that blockbuster move will allow paul allen to pay no additional fees as the warriors or rockets sweep portland out of the first round.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, glduck said:

cavs are certainly more athletic and should defend a whole lot better. it's amazing how far isaiah thomas' star has fallen the last 9 months, now the guy is a cap-clearing piece. 

everyone is saying this clears the way for lebron and paul george to los angeles. there were reports awhile back that lebron wanted no part of the lakers because of lavar ball, and it's amazing how little we've heard from lavar since those rumors surfaced. if magic johnson can stop tampering with every superstar in the league, lakers are going to have themselves a nice, veteran team next year (probably).

blazers traded noah vonleh to get under the luxury threshold yesterday. that blockbuster move will allow paul allen to pay no additional fees as the warriors or rockets sweep portland out of the first round.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the new-look cavs looked *great* yesterday in boston. i know that nobody has had a chance to scout them yet, yada yada, but they've had, like, half a practice together as a team and went into the garden and royally spanked a celtic team operating at full strength. george hill was clearly going through the motions in sacramento, he looked much more like the player he was for indiana; tristan thompson looked energized for the first time all year; and not to hate on isaiah thomas too much, as he's proven himself in this league, but this might be the new definition of addition by subtraction. him in cleveland was just a bad fit all around.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland got taller, more athletic and much better on defense.  You can't trot out a bunch of old slower guys and have IT out there at the same time.  He is probably the worst defender in the NBA.  Brad ******ns is a genius with the way he was mostly able to hide him on defense last year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lavar said that if the Lakers want to sign Lonzo, they need to sign Liangelo and Melo. Right. If I'm a team like the Nets or Hornets, I draft Liangelo for my second round pick and then offer Lonzo the minimum and make Lavar play ball. If he wants the Lakers to trade for Liangelo, I ask for 3 first round picks, publicly. Just stash Gelo in Europe and never recall him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TJ McConnell with a triple-double tonight in a 76er win over the Knicks.

I don't think I've ever been more wrong about a player's chance of making the NBA, let alone succeeding as an NBA PG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Lavar said that if the Lakers want to sign Lonzo, they need to sign Liangelo and Melo. Right. If I'm a team like the Nets or Hornets, I draft Liangelo for my second round pick and then offer Lonzo the minimum and make Lavar play ball. If he wants the Lakers to trade for Liangelo, I ask for 3 first round picks, publicly. Just stash Gelo in Europe and never recall him.

 

lavar's quote is one of the great stream of consciousness rants i've heard in quite some time. by the end he was talking about something else entirely. a profoundly disturbed man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't look now but the Jazz have won 10 in a row.. 8 road wins in a row with wins over some very good teams. Wins over Golden State, @ Detroit,  @ Portland @Toronto, @ NO, @ San Antonio,(twice, one at home) . It will be 11 after tomorrow night over a horrible Phx team.. Making a push for the playoffs.. Seeds 4-8 are wide open.

Utah's December and January results were horrible with a shitload of back to backs and road games..  Good news, the Jazz only have 8 road games left.. Should be a nice chance to make a push.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, utenation said:

Don't look now but the Jazz have won 10 in a row.. 8 road wins in a row with wins over some very good teams. Wins over Golden State, @ Detroit,  @ Portland @Toronto, @ NO, @ San Antonio,(twice, one at home) . It will be 11 after tomorrow night over a horrible Phx team.. Making a push for the playoffs.. Seeds 4-8 are wide open.

Utah's December and January results were horrible with a shitload of back to backs and road games..  Good news, the Jazz only have 8 road games left.. Should be a nice chance to make a push.

 

 

I was at the Portland game Sunday evening.  Utah is a better team without Rubio and with Jae Crowder on the court with Mitchell running the point.  Crowder abused poor Mo Harmless in the key part of that game where Utah extended their lead.  Hobert is such a defensive presence inside that if outside shots aren't falling, you're not beating this lineup right now.

 

We left with 8 minutes remaining and the Jazz up 25 and were home by 8:15 since it was a school night for the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PapaG said:

I was at the Portland game Sunday evening.  Utah is a better team without Rubio and with Jae Crowder on the court with Mitchell running the point.  Crowder abused poor Mo Harmless in the key part of that game where Utah extended their lead.  Hobert is such a defensive presence inside that if outside shots aren't falling, you're not beating this lineup right now.

 

We left with 8 minutes remaining and the Jazz up 25 and were home by 8:15 since it was a school night for the kids.

Disagree about Rubio. His numbers during our win streak have been off the charts and Utah has been boat racing teams offensively. He struggled with Utah’s system the first few months with a new team and new faces. He’s in a great rhythm right now but currently has a hip injury that he will probably try to heal through the All-star break.

Also, I believe you meant Gobert,  not Hobert. Agree with your take on his play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×