If They Were Healthy Their Entire Careers

KUGRDON

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RogueDuck said:

As long as we are taking about athletes who Fd themselves with drugs, women or whatever.

Ill say 1-Mike Tyson

and 2-Jon Jones.

edit add Barry Bonds to the list, before the roids he was well on his way to a HOF career.

I'm of the opinion he should still have one.  If you let in a single roids-user, you gotta let in all of them.  

4 minutes ago, Orange said:

I really hate this anonymous "liking" situation we have for posts.   I find out I got a "like", and start to feel good about myself, and then I see jalapeno post and think "aw, shit.  It was probably him."

LOL...I agree but it wasn't me that "liked" your comment.  Good to know I'm in your head.

I liked it.  Bonds does deserve to be there, for 10 years he and Ken Griffey Jr were the best players in baseball, before he went on roids.  In 93 he hit 46 hr, that was before it's thought he went on the juice.  The guy was awesome, but he wanted to be better.  People forget how good skinny Bonds was.

re: pre-roid bonds --> abso-frickin'-lutely. he averaged like 35 stolen bases a year prior to his head growing to the size of a pumpkin. isn't he the only member of the 500 HR/500 SB club? did i just make that up? maybe i did. regardless, he could do anything during his pirate/early giants days. always a dick, though.

re: vick --> more underwhelming seasons if he avoided prison, i'm sure.

17 minutes ago, glduck said:

re: pre-roid bonds --> abso-frickin'-lutely. he averaged like 35 stolen bases a year prior to his head growing to the size of a pumpkin. isn't he the only member of the 500 HR/500 SB club? did i just make that up? maybe i did. regardless, he could do anything during his pirate/early giants days. always a dick, though.

re: vick --> more underwhelming seasons if he avoided prison, i'm sure.

You did not, in fact, make it up.  Or if you did, you're pretty damned prescient.  Even A-Rod's nowhere near 500 stolen bases.  

I'm convinced him being a total asshole has far more to do with him being out of the Hall than anything else.  And they have a point.

I have always thought that Francisco Liriano could have been an all-time great pitcher.  To this day, I've never seen a pitcher with more dazzling stuff than him.  When he broke onto the scene in 2005 with the Twins, he was hitting upper 90's on his fastball with a ton of movement and his slider was absolutely devastating.  As a 21 year old in his 1st season with the club, he posted a 12-3 record, 2.16 ERA, and a 1.00 WHIP.  Absolutely ridiculous numbers for a 21 year old during the height of the steroid era. He had 144k's in 121 Innings and AVERAGED 12.9 k's per 9 innings!  To put that stat in perspective, nobody in the last 15 years has had a season with more than 12.9k's per 9 innings.  Randy Johnson leads all pitchers in career K's per 9 innings with just over 10.  I'm telling you, this dude had absolutely filthy stuff.  Then, he suffered a devastating arm injury and was never the same pitcher.  

41 minutes ago, All Hail said:

I have always thought that Francisco Liriano could have been an all-time great pitcher.  To this day, I've never seen a pitcher with more dazzling stuff than him.  When he broke onto the scene in 2005 with the Twins, he was hitting upper 90's on his fastball with a ton of movement and his slider was absolutely devastating.  As a 21 year old in his 1st season with the club, he posted a 12-3 record, 2.16 ERA, and a 1.00 WHIP.  Absolutely ridiculous numbers for a 21 year old during the height of the steroid era. He had 144k's in 121 Innings and AVERAGED 12.9 k's per 9 innings!  To put that stat in perspective, nobody in the last 15 years has had a season with more than 12.9k's per 9 innings.  Randy Johnson leads all pitchers in career K's per 9 innings with just over 10.  I'm telling you, this dude had absolutely filthy stuff.  Then, he suffered a devastating arm injury and was never the same pitcher.  

Great post!

2 hours ago, All Hail said:

Along those lines with another Twins' pitcher, Johan Santana was basically done at age 31 and still had over 130 wins and over 1700 strikeouts at that point.  He had a 6-win season for the Mets at age 33 after missing a year, got hurt again, and was done.   

4 hours ago, All Hail said:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but baseball reference has some different numbers?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/liriafr01.shtml

Archived