Don't Hurry Them

KUGRDON

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/18/544483397/oldest-kids-in-class-do-better-even-through-college?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

I could've started a full year later and still graduated when I was 18. Probably should have. It took me until about the end of the fourth grade to catch on to what school was about.

We had my son do an extra year of kindergarten so he would be the oldest in his class instead of the youngest.   The school tried to discourage us but it just made too much sense & they backed off..

Yesterday he turned 7 & started first grade on the same day.  He's bigger than the other kids but not by as much as you'd think.

Delaying them makes the most sense if they need maturing. Most schools try and discourage it because most were done for academic reasons that didn't make an ounce of difference. Instead of a low performing 18 year old at graduation, you have a low performing 19 year old

57 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Delaying them makes the most sense if they need maturing. Most schools try and discourage it because most were done for academic reasons that didn't make an ounce of difference. Instead of a low performing 18 year old at graduation, you have a low performing 19 year old

The study is pretty definitive.  We are talking about a single year and with summer borns the delayed kid will graduate at 18 instead of 17 like I did.  A whole lot of reasons to delay. . . academic, athletic and social.

12 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

In my district, and I suspect most others, they won't delay for academics really any more 

Pretty easy to pay a psychologist for an evaluation citing immaturity or a doctor citing lack of physical development.  Failing that, private school or lay low. Nobody sending out the cops looking for kindergartners.  It's really an arbitrary rule and more at stake for summer borns, particularly boys who don't develop fine muscle control for writing as early as girls.   If a parent wants to delay, it's not that hard to accomplish.

My son was born in June and we're redshirting him.  This reinforces my decision.

I was born in July and graduated at 17.  Was always one of the smallest kids, and felt behind in all other ways, too.  Didn't affect me as much later on, but....

On 8/18/2017 at 7:44 PM, KUGRDON said:

If a parent wants to delay, it's not that hard to accomplish.

It depends on the school district.  I know of two families in the Bay Area that were told if they brought their 6yo sons in to enroll for kindergarten, they'd be put in first grade. Period.  The districts use their own psychologists.

Don't disagree with academic red-shirting of kindergartners.  Was six years old when I started (despite being born in June) kindergarten.  I couldn't imagine myself back then starting kindergarten just two months after my fifth birthday.  I don't think that would have worked out well for me in that case (starting kindergarten at 5).  Also, I think starting at seven wouldn't have been a bad idea either according to this Washington Post article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/10/07/delaying-kindergarten-until-age-7-offers-key-benefits-to-kids-study/?utm_term=.cc981a189c41

I can somewhat remember being in the first grade while it's a struggle for me to remember what it was like in kindergarten so I think this study by Stanford might have some merit.

• 4 weeks later...

It took until the 9th game of my true freshman year of college before I turned 18. I should have been held back, but I passed the aptitude test. If there was a maturity test I probably wouldn't have passed in K or 1st grade. I was the youngest (and biggest) student in my graduating glass. Athletically I would have benefitted tremendously by another year of development. Academically, it didn't really matter. 

My daughter is an August baby. She should be on the top end of the age bracket, and with Mrs. Molerat as a teacher, if we want to enroll her late, we probably just will. 

Archived