USC and Arizona basketball coaches arrested

MrBug708

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, All Hail said:

I'm confused as to why USC has hired Louis Freeh?  Not only is the guy a complete scumbag - https://theintercept.com/2015/01/02/louis-freehs-latest-investigation-billionaire-businessman-accused-bribing-african-government/ -- but he tore Penn State a new one when they hired him to investigate the Sandusky stuff.  USC must be very confident that Bland acted independently. 

IDK about Bland acting independently, but I think it means they're comfortable that the University had nothing to do with any of this and if the bball program takes the fall, so be it. Given the shit storm they're already dealing with re: Med school dean, can't blame them. 

On 9/26/2017 at 8:53 AM, Mano said:

I wonder if these could lead to NCAA sanctions?

Oh yes it will lead to sanctions since the NCAA would have legal documents and other stuff to throw the book at the offending schools.

Question is how deep is this and will it spill over to other sports?

I wonder if this will spell the end of individual school apparel contracts and would that get pushed up to the conference level such as Nike sponsoring all Pac-12 schools for instance?  Could really sting for some freshly minted contracts such as UCLA & Cal for instance.

I wonder if this is what will be the downfall of the NCAA as an organized body? They've thrown out the allegation of "lack of institutional control" at so many programs, and yet, they are the pinnacle of that brand of ineptitude. Talk about the inmates running the asylum. If anyone can prove that the NCAA actually kinda, sorta knew about "pay for play" in college basketball and didn't do anything about it, I'm not sure they can survive that with any credibility worth having.

44 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

I wonder if this will spell the end of individual school apparel contracts and would that get pushed up to the conference level such as Nike sponsoring all Pac-12 schools for instance?  Could really sting for some freshly minted contracts such as UCLA & Cal for instance.

No.

Not a good look when the initial response by Dan Weber, USC podcast guy (raised in Kentucky, former Xavier SID) is:  "Doesn't the FBI have anything better to do?  It's not a coincidence that the two top Pac-12 schools going into the season were targeted."

sigh

19 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Not a good look when the initial response by Dan Weber, USC podcast guy (raised in Kentucky, former Xavier SID) is:  "Doesn't the FBI have anything better to do?  It's not a coincidence that the two top Pac-12 schools going into the season were targeted."

sigh

I'm still not clear on whether they went after Mitch Blazer with the intent of investigating college basketball. Or did they have Blazer nailed (I think it started with an SEC fraud investigation?) and he then told them "I can give you something much bigger."

5 hours ago, glduck said:

loving how people are bending pitino over for his comments. that guy is sleaze. rumblings within the last 20 minutes that he and his AD will be fired today.

Pitino placed on administrative leave effective immediately.  Louisville lawyers likely looking at his contract to see what recourse he will have when he's ultimately fired.

Archived