Utah @ USC

Scscsc89

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/15/2017 at 10:57 AM, Scscsc89 said:

He is wide open — but at this point it looks like USC is wrapping him up.  I’d like to see one or two frames before this.

or maybe I wouldn’t.

I recall him diving and being stopped short.  I don't recall him ever being "wrapped up."  I think Troy Williams is going to be feeling some big time regret after seeing the replay.  He made the decision to run too early and stopped looking downfield and it cost the Utes the game. 

13 minutes ago, All Hail said:

I recall him diving and being stopped short.  I don't recall him ever being "wrapped up."  I think Troy Williams is going to be feeling some big time regret after seeing the replay.  He made the decision to run too early and stopped looking downfield and it cost the Utes the game. 

This is true, and it is the biggest difference in Troy WIlliams game with that of Huntley.

I don't like all the bashing of Williams because he brings a lot to the table, throws a nice deep ball, and he came within one play of beating USC 2 years in a row. Utah is very lucky to have him backing up Huntley.

That being said, there is no doubt in my mind that Huntley is the better QB, he makes better, quicker decisions, is a better runner and keeps his eyes downfield when scrambling much better than TW, and Utah would have had a better chance at winning the past two games had he not been injured.

5 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

If not “wrapping up” how about “engaging/distracting” him?

The point is, he was able to throw the ball if he wanted to.  I believe that at the point shown in the picture, he had already made up his mind to run the ball and stopped looking down field.  I also believe that had he not made that decision, he was free enough to get the ball 7 yards down the field to the area of the wide open receiver. 

And my point is that perhaps having a defender (neutral phrase such as ‘in his area’) is what made him stop being able to look down field & make that decision to run.

i don’t know if this is true, I have only seen the play once, when it was live.  I am just commenting on the possibility that the photo above is not as black & white as it first appears.

23 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Yep, he was both wide open AND Williams had someone tackling him.  

There were also 4 USC defenders in between them.  Williams’ view could’ve been blocked.

He was open long before Williams had someone tackling him. As soon as the first option wasn't there, Troy was running and quit looking downfield. It is what it is.

3 hours ago, Mano said:

I don't like all the bashing of Williams because he brings a lot to the table, throws a nice deep ball, and he came within one play of beating USC 2 years in a row. Utah is very lucky to have him backing up Huntley.

I've certainly been critical of TW and said he's garbage after the Stanford loss.. Garbage may be too strong but my main point is, he's not going to get you a conference or even division championship.. 50% just isn't going to cut it.. I believe Utah has the talent this year to win a division... For me it's sad to see it go down the drain again.. I also believe Carrington's lack of production the last two games is a direct result of TW being the QB.. He may be a good back up to your point but we are nothing but average with him in the game and that was already proven last year with a good OL. 

We need Huntley back, I think we both agree on that.. Even if Huntley makes mistakes, I'm ok with that because he's a baller and has much better potential..

1 hour ago, All Hail said:

This is how I see it as well. 

There is no question this was just a mistake by Williams.. USC was lucky on that play. Lucky that Williams made the wrong play.. Carrington is still open.. I think USC dominated the second half but we had a great chance to win...

13 minutes ago, utenation said:

I've certainly been critical of TW and said he's garbage after the Stanford loss.. Garbage may be too strong but my main point is, he's not going to get you a conference or even division championship.. 50% just isn't going to cut it.. I believe Utah has the talent this year to win a division... For me it's sad to see it go down the drain again.. I also believe Carrington's lack of production the last two games is a direct result of TW being the QB.. He may be a good back up to your point but we are nothing but average with him in the game and that was already proven last year with a good OL. 

We need Huntley back, I think we both agree on that..

I know I sound a little Pollyannaish, but...

He is a college kid, I think he gives it what he has got. We know what he is, 50% completions, will make some big plays and frustrate you on some plays he should make, usually only good for first read. He handled his demotion like a team player, has stayed positive and has not been a problem in the locker room. I think most teams would love to have as capable a backup. As I said, I think Huntley is clearly better, but I can't get too upset with a college kid who is not getting into trouble and playing as well as he can. 

I actually figured this as Utah's rebuild year, and I am really encouraged at how good they look. I think the next few years with Huntley as an upperclassmen and Tuttle behind him at QB, along with the uptick in recruits Utah has had the past several years bodes well for the program, and I expect the Utes to be a contender going forward for the next several years.

17 minutes ago, Mano said:

I know I sound a little Pollyannaish, but...

He is a college kid, I think he gives it what he has got. We know what he is, 50% completions, will make some big plays and frustrate you on some plays he should make, usually only good for first read. He handled his demotion like a team player, has stayed positive and has not been a problem in the locker room. I think most teams would love to have as capable a backup. As I said, I think Huntley is clearly better, but I can't get too upset with a college kid who is not getting into trouble and playing as well as he can. 

I actually figured this as Utah's rebuild year, and I am really encouraged at how good they look. I think the next few years with Huntley as an upperclassmen and Tuttle behind him at QB, along with the uptick in recruits Utah has had the past several years bodes well for the program, and I expect the Utes to be a contender going forward for the next several years.

I agree. Troy is a good kid but it’s time to take the next step in this league. We’ve put in the work and time. The juice has been there the last 4 years, we just haven’t finished.

Archived