WSU @Cal

KUGRDON

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this on Bear Insider, on whether the game will be played or not. Obviously, I can't vouch for the accuracy, but it seems legit. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Some facts:

This from Carol Christ (spoke with her last night)

1. Decision won't come until late.
2. Trying to find a portable AQ monitor (apparently smoke varies in micro-regions) for CMS
3. at 200, will cancel; below 150, will play. In between....
4. If it's a no-go, it will be permanently cancelled. No chance of a postponement
5. If it's cancelled, the cost to CAL will be $1 million (lost TV revenue, plus we will be required to reimburse WSU for all their expenses).

Sh*t show.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If the game is cancelled and the Cougs end up playing one less Pac12 game, how will that effect their position in the north standings? For instance, what if the Cougs win the Apple Cup but lose one other conference game to finish 7-1, while the huskies finish 8-1? Technically, huskies have the better record. This could get weird.

Still, i am hoping the conference and schools make a decision based on the health of the players. 

The air quality here is really really bad.  If they can't contain the fires soon, I don't see how this game gets played.  It would be extremely negligent of the University to ask these student athletes to play in these conditions.  I started coughing after walking the dog we are watching and I probably only walked 5 blocks.  

1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

Our offense has been sputtering and D has been susceptible to big plays.  Cal has, or at least Leach has said they have, a comparatively large number of big plays.  Very much a chance of Cal win.

lol.  Coach Leach is full of crap.  He is trying to do his best Bill Belichick. 

Just now, Scscsc89 said:

Surprised that Cals soccer team played yesterday afternoon.

As was I.  I've heard that it depends on when the wind is blowing east.  Apparently during the soccer game the wind was blowing west.  Seems like it could change at any moment but I guess they felt confident that it wouldn't change directions.  

Here is the statement from Cal:

We are continuing to closely monitor the air quality in Berkeley before Friday's football game against Washington State, which is scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m., and are in communication with the Pac-12, Washington State and air quality experts as we determine the best course of action. We are working through an unique situation, and the health and safety of our student-athletes, fans, coaches and all those who work home football games is of utmost concern. As of the time of this release, we do not anticipate any changes to our scheduled game with Washington State.

The NCAA Sport Science Institute provides parameters for activities when air quality is poor, and we are using the recommendations as a guideline. The NCAA uses a sustained Air Quality Index (AQI) of 200 or above as a threshold to delay or cancel competition.

As of 10 a.m. Thursday, the AQI for the Berkeley area was 155 (see: airnow.gov). AQI numbers from smoke are highly dependent on wind direction and can change rapidly. While prior data doesn't predict the future, over the past few days, the AQI has tended to decline into the evening hours and fell into the 80s (moderate level) by 7 p.m. Wednesday.

We will continue to observe the AQI data and will provide further updates as more information becomes available. We will also follow these guidelines for other sports that have competitions scheduled in Berkeley

The more I think about this game, the worse I feel about the situation.  There is going to be maybe 3,000 people at this game.  Nobody wants to sit for 4 hours and breath in this shitty air.   The few people that show up will all have surgical masks.  It's going to be a disaster.  

The Raiders are in talks of moving their game.  If Cal plays and the Raiders don't, wtf?

For comparison, my kids' soccer, basketball and flag football practices and games in the Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda area have all been cancelled through the weekend due to the air quality. Of course, kids' lungs are likely more sensitive and require protection at a lower levels of pollution. Still, if the health risks are significant enough for young kids, there must be some risk to college players as well. 

From spokesman review

(As we have learned here in the Inland Northwest, air quality can change quickly, especially the particulate count. When we got up this morning, we checked the count from Berkeley. It was 154, unhealthy but playable. An hour later it had dropped to 126, unhealthy for sensitive groups but much better. There are usually afternoon breezes in the area, so the smoke shouldn’t derail tonight’s kickoff.)”

my bet is that they play unless AQI is over 200.  It did not get over 200 yesterday and was in fact lower in the evening than during the day.

2 hours ago, All Hail said:

Here is the statement from Cal:

We are continuing to closely monitor the air quality in Berkeley before Friday's football game against Washington State, which is scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m., and are in communication with the Pac-12, Washington State and air quality experts as we determine the best course of action. We are working through an unique situation, and the health and safety of our student-athletes, fans, coaches and all those who work home football games is of utmost concern. As of the time of this release, we do not anticipate any changes to our scheduled game with Washington State.

The NCAA Sport Science Institute provides parameters for activities when air quality is poor, and we are using the recommendations as a guideline. The NCAA uses a sustained Air Quality Index (AQI) of 200 or above as a threshold to delay or cancel competition.

As of 10 a.m. Thursday, the AQI for the Berkeley area was 155 (see: airnow.gov). AQI numbers from smoke are highly dependent on wind direction and can change rapidly. While prior data doesn't predict the future, over the past few days, the AQI has tended to decline into the evening hours and fell into the 80s (moderate level) by 7 p.m. Wednesday.

We will continue to observe the AQI data and will provide further updates as more information becomes available. We will also follow these guidelines for other sports that have competitions scheduled in Berkeley

Air quality is 155?  That's actually decent.  Here in Bend, we spent most of August in the 200s or 300s.

11 minutes ago, Orange said:

Air quality is 155?  That's actually decent.  Here in Bend, we spent most of August in the 200s or 300s.

Why is your air so shitty?  I can't handle this 155 crap.  Even the dog isn't a big fan as he has cut his walks short ever since the fires have started. 

Apparently the Raider can is still going to be played in Oakland. 

5 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Why is your air so shitty?  I can't handle this 155 crap.  Even the dog isn't a big fan as he has cut his walks short ever since the fires have started. 

Apparently the Raider can is still going to be played in Oakland. 

We live in the high desert, and we were basically surrounded by forest fires all summer long.  Started up in Canada, and we at one point had the largest fire in Oregon history down in Brookings which spread smoke all over the state.  Sisters High School had to delay opening.  They had 470 AQI one day.  Every summer, it's a coinflip as to whether I can do a run outside, or if the winds turn and suddenly we're inundated with fog-like smoke.  Whenever it was under 200, I said fuck it, and went for a run outside because I was so sick of going into the gym on a warm summer day.

A few years ago, Beijing topped 800.  I gotta figure some people actually suffocate at that level.

Archived