Arizona @ Cal

azgreg

Arizona is favored by 1 and for good reason.   Cal's 4-3 record suggests inconsistent play but Cal has actually been remarkably consistent.  

Cal has performed very well against teams who rely on passing the ball - Ole Miss, UNC, Wazzu

Cal has performed very poorly against teams who are run first teams - USC, Oregon, Washington.  Of those teams, USC is the most balanced and we had the most success against them (fell apart in the 4th.) 

Arizona might be the best rushing team in this conference and therefore this matchup scares the hell out of me. 

The thing that makes me feel a little bit better is the fact that we are statically the best rushing team that Tate will have faced.  Although that's not saying much.  Cal has played WAY better at home than on the road so there's that. 

41 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Take care of the ball. Cal is 4-0 when they win the turnover battle and 0-3 when they don't.

Cal leads the nation in interceptions but Tate seldom throws the ball.  We will have to force TO's in the running game, which is hard to do. 

Alternatively, when was the last time Arizona won in Berkeley?  I feel like its been awhile.  (edit: Forgot about the 2013 season, which was a disaster.  Before that, it had been since 2001.  Those were the two worst seasons of Cal football in the past 3 decades.)

10 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Cal leads the nation in interceptions but Tate seldom throws the ball.  We will have to force TO's in the running game, which is hard to do. 

Alternatively, when was the last time Arizona won in Berkeley?  I feel like its been awhile.  (edit: Forgot about the 2013 season, which was a disaster.  Before that, it had been since 2001.  Those were the two worst seasons of Cal football in the past 3 decades.)

We are most defiantly a running team with Tate in there, however in these 2 games he's 21 of 26 for 300 yards and 2 td's and 0 int's.

Since 2000 we are 3-4 at Cal. Here's a great site for head to head info. http://football.stassen.com/records/opponent.html

1 hour ago, WestSider said:

Devante Downs out for season. My expectations for this game just took a dive. 

Next to Oregon, our injuries have to be up with any team in the conference.  Best two offensive players, two olinemen, leading tackler from last season and now our best overall defensive player and best run stuffer?  We are not exactly USC or Washington when it comes to depth. 

He's completing a high percentage of his 26 passes but how many of them have required touch?  (serious question, I have no idea.) 

Tate certainly looks lethal on film.  I don't think this conference has ever seen a QB who his combination of speed and quickness.  What remains to be seen is what happens when he faces a capable run defense and I'm not sure we will know the answer to that by the end of this weekend now that Downs is down. 

8 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Sure seemed like Arizona had no problem scoring in their 2 overtime drives.  No reason to believe that cal’s defense was suddenly going to get stouter in the third  — might as well go for the win.

I get the idea and I don't hate the decision nearly as much as the call.  Baldwin must dial up something better in that situation.  Give Bowers the option to run, roll him out.  Do you really want to put all of the pressure on a mediocre qb like Bowers.

i think playing for 3 OTs wouldnt have been a bad move either.  Yes the Cal D looked poor but they could have turned it around.  They were by far the fresher unit as Cal ran 40 more plays than Zona.  In the 3rd OT, the Zona D would have had to immediately go back on the field and they must have been absolutely exhausted after that 4th and 1 letdown.  

Oh well.  We still have a good chance of going to a bowl with Colorado, UCLA and Oregon state still to play. 

On 10/22/2017 at 7:14 AM, WestSider said:

Cal is going to be really good next year. 

I don't know about that.  We will certainly be better but so will ucla, Arizona, Utah, USC and several other teams. the offensive line is still going to suck and who is going to replace Looney at DT?  Is Ross Bowers really the qb of a really good team? He's a consistently poor decision maker who struggles to get through progressions.  I think Cal's ceiling next year is 8-4 but will likely be closer to 6-6.  We are a couple of good recruiting classes away from getting the talent we need to be a really good team.

Archived