oregon @ ucla

glduck

to reiterate what i said in another thread, i acknowledge that ucla is kind of a shit show right now and they're vulnerable/beatable, but... josh rosen still exists, and ucla has scored under 30 points exactly once this season, when they beat colorado 27-23. rosen is going to get his, because he's good. meanwhile, oregon is averaging 8.5 points per game in two burmeister starts.

even if wazzu and stanford are superior defensive teams, 8.5 points is a looooooong way from the 30-35 we'd probably need to beat ucla. the math just isn't adding up. we can't sustain drives, we can't throw the football (burmeister/alie combined numbers saturday: 5/13, 33 yards, 2 picks), our special teams are blah and our defense, while improved, doesn't force a whole lot of turnovers. 

if you're a ucla fan worried that burmeister is a runner and tate just butchered you on the ground, burmeister is averaging 1.1 yard per carry. whatever gains he's made have been nearly wiped out due to sacks, and literally every nice run he's had has been called back because of a hold. 

7 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Oregon's offense has been terrible can UCLA's run defense is the worst I've seen in a long time.  If Cal can't stop Oregon's ground game with a 3rd string qb, will UCLA's be up for the task? 

Stanford didnt really stop our running game, and we still couldn't score. 

16 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

UCLA hasn't won a conference road game since 2015, so this being a home is a good one. But i think ucla has some bad chemistry going on right now so it's anyone's game I suppose

Good lord is that true? That's an indefensible stat for a team with that talent. 

1 hour ago, WestSider said:

Good lord is that true? That's an indefensible stat for a team with that talent. 

They only won 2 conference games last year ( Rosen was out most of the season ),  and have only played 2 conference road games this year, so not such a surprising stat.

3 hours ago, Orange said:

To this day, perhaps the ugliest game I've ever watched.

You're obviously too young to have witnessed the 1983 Civil War game, commonly referred to as the Toilet Bowl. 

On the other hand, I thought the OSU/Colorado tilt last week was one of the most entertaining games of the weekend.

22 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

You're obviously too young to have witnessed the 1983 Civil War game, commonly referred to as the Toilet Bowl. 

On the other hand, I thought the OSU/Colorado tilt last week was one of the most entertaining games of the weekend.

Yeah, that one was on my mind when I made the remark, but I never  witnessed it on TV or in person.  And I'll never waste my time on a replay.

Beavs' Sun Bowl win against Pitt in 2008 wasn't exactly a barnburner, either.  Still, any Beaver win can never make my list of all-time ugliest games.

The thing about Oregon/UCLA in 07 that was so insane to me was what Oregon looked like BEFORE that game.  After Dixon went down, the Ducks went from one of the most dynamic offenses in the country, to perhaps the most ineffective.  It was almost sad.  

Yeah, I recall what a disaster that game was. A visit to Boise a couple of years later was also horrible.

I was think about the '83 CW after I posted. I wasn't at the game, and I don't recall if it was televised live, though I doubt it.

I remember listening to Jerry Allen's call (during which you could never tell what was going on, just like today) and then watching "The Rich Brooks Show" on OPB a couple of days later. Man, we were primitive.

3 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

Yeah, I recall what a disaster that game was. A visit to Boise a couple of years later was also horrible.

I was think about the '83 CW after I posted. I wasn't at the game, and I don't recall if it was televised live, though I doubt it.

I remember listening to Jerry Allen's call (during which you could never tell what was going on, just like today) and then watching "The Rich Brooks Show" on OPB a couple of days later. Man, we were primitive.

I think of it as horrible for different reasons; I really fucking hate that Kelly reinstated Blount in time for the Civil War.

6 hours ago, Orange said:

I think of it as horrible for different reasons; I really fucking hate that Kelly reinstated Blount in time for the Civil War.

See, more than that I hate how and when he was brought in to the game. It was a couple plays after one of the Beaver players had a pretty bad injury; a broken leg if I recall. Autzen was flat after the long injury delay. Blount comes in and the place goes bezerker. 

On the other, more objective hand, if I was a coach and had that sort of card, I would've played it too. 

Archived